The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

S2000 -> G35 (performance & insurance ?'s)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking S2000 -> G35 (performance & insurance ?'s)

Hey guys first off this is my first post here so...hey (oh and this will be a somewhat long post sorry!)

Anyway I currently own a S2000 and really enjoy it. I live very close to Willow Springs, and want to start tracking my car eventually. Also I live very near to many great twisty canyon roads that I usually have to drive thru at least twice a month... I always look forward to that.

I am looking for a car that is more refined, something that will treat me a little better as a daily driver, but I do NOT want to give up ANY performance really. I dont know if this is possible, but I would like to think so. Also a huge deciding factor is insurance cost, I do not want anything that is far more expensive than the s2k to insure (STi) So,

1) I couldnt find much information in terms of track times on ANY G35, just the 350z. Is the car pretty much entirely based off the Z and would track times be equal?

2) What is the most track orientated G35 that has the most potential as I see there is a G35 Coupe, G35 Sedan, AND a G35 Sport...

3) Are there many available mods for the above G35s? AND how much bang for buck do you get for simple bolt ons? (example s2000 intake= gain or lose 1-2hp) Is the G35 any better? with full bolt ons how much more can you expect?

4) Any big changes between model years of the G35, I know the changed hp. but is there any model year that if I can, I SHOULD avoid a certain year?

5) Any track gurus on here in general? anyone have a fully tracked g35 or something close to it, or is it just too much of a luxury orientated car with not much potential of very quick times on the track with some sticky tires, brakes, suspension.

If I think of anything else I will post um up... last thing I wanted to mention..not as a question, but to fill in on the reason I am here is pretty much I just want more room. I first thought an sti would suite my needs and everything, but I want something with a little class now, as I am getting older. But I would hate to miss the s2000 every week when driving through my canyon roads watching everyone pile up behind me.

Anyway if there are any stickies I should especially check out let me know as I may have missed one or anything like that.

Also, thank you for reading ALL of that, especially since I probably wouldnt want to take the time to read it again. ANY answers are greatly appreciated!

Old 05-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Pretty much all of those questions could be answered by searching thorugh the forums. They have been discussed many times.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
with all bolt-ons you aren't going to see much more than 15-20 whp.. that's including intake, spacer, plenum, headers, exhaust, etc.... the 05 coupe 6mt models are known to have oil consumption problems, correct me if i'm wrong, but dealerships replace engines that have proven problems.. going from 04-05 you lose brembo brakes, gain a couple of horsepower, but lose some torque.. the 05+ 6MT have rev-up motors and the 5AT do not in any year

Old 05-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
your not gonna get much better than the S2K for auto-cross/road racing... the Z would be a better choice than the G though...

Old 05-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO, out of the box, due highly to weight, the S2k will perform better on twisties... on straights, I would say they are pretty close.

If you want sth close to a G but with more performance, try the NISMO 350z, search also on youtube for a top gear review of NISMO 350z, S2k, E92 M3. It was fun to watch =)

Old 05-04-2008, 04:03 PM
BMW 1-series....if you have the money

Otherwise, G is a good compromise between performance and luxary...it's not really a track/drag car, but it's fun to drive on a daily basis. I would probably get a low mileage 04 instead of getting an '05, as they are a little lighter, engines don't burn oil as bad, and have brembo brakes, and you should be able to get more for your money

Old 05-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by B.Money
Hey guys first off this is my first post here so...hey (oh and this will be a somewhat long post sorry!)

1) I couldnt find much information in terms of track times on ANY G35, just the 350z. Is the car pretty much entirely based off the Z and would track times be equal?

2) What is the most track orientated G35 that has the most potential as I see there is a G35 Coupe, G35 Sedan, AND a G35 Sport...

5) Any track gurus on here in general? anyone have a fully tracked g35 or something close to it, or is it just too much of a luxury orientated car with not much potential of very quick times on the track with some sticky tires, brakes, suspension.
Run a search on "eagle1"'s thread...

Example...

https://g35driver.com/forums/video-share/138188-buttonwillow-video.html

Old 05-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Being a previous S2K owner, the feel is completely different (I have an 05 MT Sedan for reference). The S2K for the money is meant to be beat on and be driven hard. It handles amazingly and is SO tight, but obviously lacks daily driver features and isn't the most luxurious. If you're looking for a car that will tear up the track, the G can do it, but you'd be better off in the S2000.

If you want a better daily driver and want more luxury, but are willing to sacrifice some performance, then I'd say the G is a great step.

If you want the same/better performance, then I'd stay put and stick with the S2000.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Send me a PM or give ma call at seven14-3one3-422eight.

I've owned a 05 s2k and currently have a 08.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:21 PM
unfortunately I dont have the funds for a 135i I really wish i did tho! Also I think the nismo Z is out of my budget.

I really like the G over the Z though, because since they are both heavy cars already I would rather have slightly more creature comforts for the weight.

I know the 350z and the s2000 are about head to head on most tracks right? is the G35 just a hair behind? I would plan on some wider wheels, sticky tires, and suspension as my first mods as long as the breaks hold up well to abuse, is suspension usually something people notice a pretty large increase in track times from? or some slightly better rubbers like re-01's?

Basically it looks as if insurance is around the same or if it MAY be cheaper and it looks like I can get myself in to a g35 and get some grins out of it, I may make the switch.

But does anyone know as far as fact...what model is faster around a track? G35c vs G35 sport? I know the sport is a sedan and I am fine with that..but could it possibly be quicker than the coupe?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
^^^yeah, the G sedans have always been lighter than the coupe(same goes for the 37). i'd say go the newer 6MT sport, it's only a hair slower than the newest Zs. plus, it has a lot more lux. a bit pricey for me though. the older sedan are like 80lbs lighter, have better wieght distribution and w/the Nismo kit they're more aero dynamic too. you'll shave a lot of wieght just in exhaust components(headers, hfc, cat back set up), throw some light-wieght rims & sticky tires into the mix and you'll be movin. BUT let's say you do put some real money into the mix, you could get the new 08 G35xS(AWD Sport) and mod greddys new TT kit for the HR Zs and have a 3.5ltr baby Godzilla. for less you could throw a Stillen SC on the older G35x(04) and still have a real track beast/dd combo. i really love the 1st gen sedans, if you didn't notice. i've been thinkin' of buyin' an X w/high miles on it & trackin' it out for a while now... ah, dreams.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
G35 Sport (2nd gen) is faster than a 1st gen coupe. Hands down.

In terms of performance, coming form a s2k, the (available) power will be unbelieveable, but handling is going to suffer.... it'll feel like you're going into a SUV.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
G35 Sport (2nd gen) is faster than a 1st gen coupe. Hands down.

In terms of performance, coming form a s2k, the (available) power will be unbelieveable, but handling is going to suffer.... it'll feel like you're going into a SUV.
that bad huh? does this SUV still get near the s2k's track times?

Or is this SUV feeling, more than just a feeling?

Old 05-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If i was u, I would get 03-04 Coupe 6MT.

With some suspension mods, it will be very close to the s2k on the track
You get brembos, so u don't ever have to worry about getting "better brakes"
s2k is a type of car that no too many cars can touch including some very expensive sports cars.
In fact i can not think of any car in the world besides the elise that can handle as good as s2k in stock form in tight turns

Lightest G35 is 03-04 sedan - undersized brakes for the track
Most "track oriented" and minimal headache G35 is the 03-04 coupe 6MT.
G35 in general reponds very well to suspension mods, good luck with ur decision.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
You bet there will be a neverending hole in your wallet when it comes to modding this car...lol
Originally Posted by B.Money
3) Are there many available mods for the above G35s?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S2000 -> G35 (performance & insurance ?'s)