The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Dash chirping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Dash chirping

I have a rather annoying chirping-like squeak from the central dash area of my 03 5AT coupe. It sounds like a small bird chirping loudly. I took off the upper dash cluster bezel, the clock and the A/C readout module and the chirping is still there. It happens with little jiggles in the car at about 30mph but not at higher speeds, even if the road is super bumpy. It sounds as if there is some lightweight part rubbing slightly on something else. I've read through some posts but nothing that helps. Grabbing any dash parts or the rear view mirror do not stop or affect the sound. A day or so ago it rained and there was no squeaking. The day after with no rain, the squeak is back. I'ts quite loud but hard to find. Any ideas? Ill probably have to take out the console finisher and radio finisher and even the radio to find it. I've had similar squeaks in other cars that have been the ventilation fan. I took mine out and oiled the bearings as best I could, but to no effect. The squeaking is not influenced by the fan so I doubt it's the cause. Could the windshield
seal squeak like this? Pressing on the windshield does nothing. I'd be all happy-like if I could kill that bird! Anyone had a similar fowl noise from the dash?

Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i remember having a noise that sounded like a cricket chirping at me. took me forever to find... thought it was also in the dash. turned out being my rear-view mirror. i know u mentioned pressing on your mirror.. but try squeezing it together instead (where u squeeze the front and rear of the mirror together). that's where my problem was.

i think there was someone who once took the entire thing apart and then showed how to glue it back together again so that it would cure the problem... but i have no clue where it is or who posted it.

good luck.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try to spray WD40 at the base of the windshield (on the outside) so that it works its way between the base of the windshield and the plastic cowl. Worked for me.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Everyone likes a happy ending, so here it is. I looked everywhere for that chirping sound that was getting louder and more annoying as time went by. It was driving me crazy! I finally traced it to the battery clamp! There is a big hole in the firewall directly behind the battery that lets fresh air into the interior of the car. The vent at the top of the dash was were the sound was coming from as it's directly connected to the hole. Tightened the clamp and the bird is dead! Told ya I'd be all happy-like.

I can't believe the stuff I took apart thinking it was in the dash.

The following 5 users liked this post by PedalKick:
AZ08G (06-05-2020), bigc (01-22-2012), bwstreet (12-28-2013), civic19s2000 (01-22-2016), tastythreefive (01-22-2012)
Old 11-04-2008, 05:08 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
wow, i would never have looked in the battery compartment

Old 01-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by PedalKick
Everyone likes a happy ending, so here it is. I looked everywhere for that chirping sound that was getting louder and more annoying as time went by. It was driving me crazy! I finally traced it to the battery clamp! There is a big hole in the firewall directly behind the battery that lets fresh air into the interior of the car. The vent at the top of the dash was were the sound was coming from as it's directly connected to the hole. Tightened the clamp and the bird is dead! Told ya I'd be all happy-like.

this was exactly what mine was. a new battery installed was a lil bit smaller than the original, and the clamps to hold it in place were able to rattle some, causing a squeak to be heard inside. tightened it up real good, and squeak gone.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
^ props to you for searching / finding this thread. i've had the same issue since my stereo install...makes sense that the battery could be the issue.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Thank You!!!!

This was my exact problem, thanks so much for the solution. Happy to revive this old thread. Took care of the chirping on my 07 G sedan, without having to take apart my dash (which is where i was headed).

The following users liked this post:
davgra (04-21-2016)
Old 11-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by bwstreet
This was my exact problem, thanks so much for the solution. Happy to revive this old thread. Took care of the chirping on my 07 G sedan, without having to take apart my dash (which is where i was headed).
Exact same problem. (2005 G35) It was driving me nuts. Tightened up the battery clamp and it was gone. Thanks for the info!

davgra (04-21-2016)
Old 08-03-2015, 09:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DUDE! If we ever meet, I'm buying you a beer! I've been chasing that noise (and searching online) for almost a year! Finally I thought to search with the term chirp and found this.

I don't want to total my car every time I'm on rough pavement now! noise is gone!

This forum is awesome. I hate that all the mechanical knowledge in recent years is being lost on Facebook. People need to post here more.

davgra (04-21-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 09:27 AM
I created this account specifically to say THANK YOU for this fix. OMG. I was about to pull my radio and dash apart to find this noise and you saved me a TON of aggravation. If you ever come to Atlanta, please shoot me a PM and let me buy you a beer. I realize this is about 8 years late but YOU ARE THE MAN.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:56 PM
Thanks so much for this post! I have been putting up with the chirping on and off for at least 3 years. It continued to be more consistent so I was just about ready to take the dash apart and thought I would check the forum first. Bingo! 5 minutes later, the issue is gone!

Old 06-05-2020, 08:41 PM
Loose Battery Clamps Caused Interior Noise

Same issue here and solved thanks to this thread.

Repair shop misdiagnosed and said to fix it would cost several thousand dollars and involve tearing my dash apart.
Thanks to the information here the interior noise that was beyond irritating is gone via tightening down the battery clamps.

Kudos to the member that initially found the solution and posted it.
Thank you!
2008 G35 Journey

Old 06-06-2020, 02:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sedan
Im gonna check my battery tomorrow. If that's my dash chirp, im buying all yall beers