The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Remote Start....but

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start....but

Hello. I really want to have a remote starter installed in my car, but don't really want to upgrade or replace my alarm system.

But I also don't want to have two remotes on my keychain (one factory alarm, one remote start).

Am I out of luck? Or is there some solution out there for me?

Thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
why would you need to have 2 remotes, most of the time the new alarm remote does all the functions of the STOCK one. so no need to have the 2nd remote.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Yep, we actually went from four remotes to two. The remotes we have work for two different cars each. It's slick.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
i know that with the viper remote start, u can have it programmed to ur factory key fob.. just have to press 2-3 (depending how u program it) times on the lock button to start the car

Old 10-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
a couple of my friends had the remote start work with his OEM remote.

i think it was lock twice would start the car and lock the doors but he has to use his key to open to door.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:42 AM
My remote start remotes handled all the stock remote functions and it's own functions, for two vehicles.

Stock remotes went in the drawer.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
name the type of alarms u have that u don't have u use the factory remote and use the new remote to do all the functions that the factory remote does plus more

Old 10-03-2008, 07:17 PM
The systems I had installed a few years ago are Astrostart. I don't know much about them other than they were worth their weight in gold during two harsh North East winters.

I use them all year around; in the summer the AC has the car cool before I get in, and in the winter the car is nice and toasty and windows de-iced and defrosted, before I ever step outside the door.

My cars are garaged now though and with heated seats, the remote starts are quite as much of a godsend as they once were. Still nice though.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Seymore
My remote start remotes handled all the stock remote functions and it's own functions, for two vehicles.

Stock remotes went in the drawer.
were you still using the factory alarm? i don't mind switching to a new remote, i just don't want to pay for a new alarm system or carry two remotes.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
name the type of alarms u have that u don't have u use the factory remote and use the new remote to do all the functions that the factory remote does plus more
Are you asking what aftermarket alarms can mimic the the factory key fob and more? I'd say at least over 50% can.. if not more. Directed (makes Viper, Clifford, Python, Avital, Astrostart) and Crimestopper are manufacturers that come to mind. I know mine at least does, a Clifford RSX 3.3 (Viper 5701 same thing) I'd say most alarms can mimic the factory fob plus more.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by MidnightG35X
Are you asking what aftermarket alarms can mimic the the factory key fob and more? I'd say at least over 50% can.. if not more. Directed (makes Viper, Clifford, Python, Avital, Astrostart) and Crimestopper are manufacturers that come to mind. I know mine at least does, a Clifford RSX 3.3 (Viper 5701 same thing) I'd say most alarms can mimic the factory fob plus more.
I apologize if this sounds dumb, but I know nothing about this stuff.

Are you saying that my factory remote control an aftermarket alarm including remote start? Or are you saying that a new remote can control my factory alarm and I can add remote start to that? I am not worried about the extra protection of an aftermarket alarm unless it is going to be the same price as just buying the remote start.

My end goal is to spend the least amount of money, add remote start, and only have one remote.

What's the best way for me to do this?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Yep, still used/using stock alarm.

It's just the basic one that turns on automatically each time you lock your vehicle after exiting.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Just leave the factory alarm in place but don't use it. Install a keyless entry/remote start system and use the transmitter from that system. You'll get better features and longer range. Plus, there are several good options out there that are dirt cheap if you are able to do the install yourself.

I installed a Commando FM-870 in my Toyota 4Runner a couple of years ago. The remote start function worked perfectly, plus I was able to roll the windows up and down using the remote and had 2-way paging so I knew if the alarm went off and what triggered it. The range on the remote was really good. I could be in a store shopping and know if someone bumped my vehicle and could start the car before leaving the store. That was great during heavy snow storms. I paid around $150 for it on sale.

Also, Commando has other options without the 2-way paging feature for $70-$80.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:21 PM
What about for the people with 07+ cars in which it has the push button start? What are the options for it when using an aftermarket alarm/remote start? From my understanding, you will still have to have the factory remote so that you can start the car. Is this correct?

Old 11-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Opies07G35
What about for the people with 07+ cars in which it has the push button start? What are the options for it when using an aftermarket alarm/remote start? From my understanding, you will still have to have the factory remote so that you can start the car. Is this correct?
Yes and no. For the 07+'s you would need to have a key left in the car that is only activated when the remote start is. You would not have to carry the factory key fob with you.

http://www.bypasskit.com/product.aspx?prodid=1101T

That is the bypass you would need.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote Start....but