The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Thinking of selling G35 for C63 AMG. Waste or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of selling G35 for C63 AMG. Waste or not?

I've had my G35 for about 5 years now (2004), and have basically just gotten bored with it. I went and test drove the C63 AMG and its truly an amazing vehicle. So I was thinking of making the switch. The only thing is, my G35 is completely paid off, and its nice not to have a bill for my car every month. I could probably (hopefully) get $20K or so, maybe less. The total price of the Mercedes came out to like $64K. I could afford to pay the monthlies but don't know if its worth it or not.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

Also, I haven't done much research, but does anyone know of any sites for aftermarket Mercedes parts?

Old 12-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
$20k for your G?..how many miles do you have on your G?..if you have over 100,000 miles..you wont get more then $15,000k imho....

id say go for the C63AMG..those are nice

Old 12-08-2008, 11:34 AM
..Well how long has your G35 been paid off?? .. Of course the longer you wait and the more miles you build the value will decrease

The AMG is deff. sporty and puts out the power but i think if it was me and my g35 is paid off id take a minute to relax and enjoy the "no car note moment".

It all comes down to you. i would take a couple vacations with the spare money, bc going from a g35 to and AMG doesnt give u spare change to play w/.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by O HELLA OEM
$20k for your G?..how many miles do you have on your G?..if you have over 100,000 miles..you wont get more then $15,000k imho....

id say go for the C63AMG..those are nice
I have really low miles, only 42,000. I figured I wouldn't get much for it I was just estimating, but thats true $15K seems more accurate.

Yeah I really like the C63. The drive and performance is incredible and the car looks sweet. A friend of mine just got the C350, white with the black looking top, I think its a panoramic (sp?) roof or something. But damn it looks sick.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by 04_SP33Dracer
..Well how long has your G35 been paid off?? .. Of course the longer you wait and the more miles you build the value will decrease

The AMG is deff. sporty and puts out the power but i think if it was me and my g35 is paid off id take a minute to relax and enjoy the "no car note moment".

It all comes down to you. i would take a couple vacations with the spare money, bc going from a g35 to and AMG doesnt give u spare change to play w/.
Its been paid off for about a year now.

But yeah, I'm thinking its just a phase of wanting a new car. Because I wanted the car like 3 months ago, which is when I went to test drive it. I was super into it for the next week or so, but then it wore off and I was so glad I didn't get it. The monthly payments would've been like $1200 on a LEASE lol. I guess I basically just answered my own questions. Probably just a phase.

Do you guys know of any sites for aftermarket parts for the C63 though? Or any pics of it modded?

Old 12-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turbo your G it will be cheaper and will make you love it again its hard selling a car now and you wont get much for your G. And modding a Benz is EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but check out mbworld.org

Old 12-08-2008, 11:47 AM
One thing to consider is that the C63 gets around 12 MPG and it requires premium gas. If you drive it like you stole it I bet it will get more like 8 MPG.
I suppose that if you can afford the car you will not be worried about the price of gas but it is something to think about.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The G's already taken the depreciation hit; the AMG has not.

You could mod the G and make it just as fast, for far less cost

Old 12-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Test drove a c63 before buying a used g coupe....not only is the insurance high, any amg part is very expensive....use to have a clk55...

power is nice, but the power to price ratio is not worth it to me...

Old 12-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i love the C63 and all you need to do is delete the resonators and that thing sounds crazy mean. however, they have horrible oil leaks and recalls up the **** and once the factory warranty runs, any little repair is gonna cost a lot.

i would do the upgrade if money was no issue and you were only going to keep the thing for a few years.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll hang on to my G35 for a while longer. Its nice to dream though

Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM
If you want to ascertain the advantages and disadvantages of owning an AMG C63 you should be on an AMG forum.

If you are seeking validation or approval from a G35 forum to get out of a G35 and into a Benz you aren't ready for the AMG.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Who said anything about validation or approval?

"..you aren't ready for the AMG." Lol, GTFO with that garbage.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Biggzy
Who said anything about validation or approval?

"..you aren't ready for the AMG." Lol, GTFO with that garbage.
Now, now, no profanity.

You started a thread asking the forum members opinions on a personal decision you are contemplating. When you ask for those opinions you are asking for approval (or disapproval) of your choice.

What you can afford is your private business and I cannot see how all of us need to know it.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll just cut and paste what I wrote on another thread about 2 weeks ago:

Most European cars now have extremely low ratings on Consumer Reports, Edmunds, (and most foreign car mechanics I've spoken to) with respect to reliability and dependability. Most European cars (I own a 92 Volvo with >300K miles) manufactured in the last 10-12 years now rate as among the lowest in the world! In general, a 10 year old Lexus, Infiniti or Acura has greater reliability than a brand new European car (Volvo, Mercedes, Audi, Range Rover, Saab, etc.) according to consumer research, from various sources, over the past 10 years.

I'm not down on European cars and you have to also know that they still set the standard for excellent driving experience. I think the issue is balancing what you want in a car with what best fits your criteria.

I would ignore most of opinions here and look carefully at consumer research, which is gathered from 1,000's of reviewers-- much more reliable than the opinion and data of <20 guys on this forum.

The Mercedes' are sexy, beautiful, drive extremely well and established a good reputation as status symbols alone (never for their reliability or quality build).... for those who know cars well, they're viewed as extremely overpriced, and mechanically inferior. While they are used by many as a status symbol (as many G drivers do with theirs), there has been a huge problem with reliability and dependability. Repair costs are also among the industry's highest-- and if your car happens to be in the severely unrelaible/undependable category, you're looking not only at costs issues, but also convenience factors.

Finally, if you like being on a first name basis with your mechanic, if your mechanic has given your car a name like Sophia or Janet, if the shop has named a door or wing after you, if you like having a mechanic on retainer......... and if you like driving a red 1990 Ford Taurus as a loner while your car is in the shop week after week- by all means buy a Mercedes or most any other European car.

Much better options now are the Lexus, Infiniti and Acura lines, all of which have received Consumer Report, Edmund's and numerous mechanics who deal in foreign cars, the highest ratings..... contrast that to most European cars and the data will give you everything you need to know.

Last edited by Braintree; 12-08-2008 at 05:13 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling G35 for C63 AMG. Waste or not?