The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Weird wurring noise loud during idle thats Not comming from engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird wurring noise loud during idle thats Not comming from engine

Hey guys hopefully you can help me out with this one. My wife said her car was louder today and she wanted to to take it for a drive.

I didn't even have to drive it once i started the car i heard it. It seems like a low rumble/wurring noise constant during idle. If i rev the engine it does not affect the noise pitch or sound, infact the engine will be louder then the wurring noise.

It sounds like it is coming near the back of the car when inside the car. In the engine compartment you can barley hear it. When i put my ear to the back right side infront of the back tire, i can hear it probably at it's loudest.

Dosn't seem to be drive train related since this is all in Park, and when driving backwords or forward dosn't change the sound.

I also seem to see water coming out of the exhaust joint right before it goes to the muffler, but i don't think the sound is comming from that joint.

Is this an exhaust leak? Catalytic confverter, if so any one know the warranty? the only other thing back there i could think of is fuel pump and i doubt it's that.

This is a 2004 G35x Sedan. Also is this safe to drive or will it hurt the engine? I think it is exhaust related, but would of thought it would get louder if i reved the engine if it was exhaust.

If you need any more details let me know.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:49 PM
I'll second the fuel pump.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:36 PM
After searching a bunch today it might be the fuel line dampener? or damper?

Posts about that seem to be the same kind of sound i hear, although most say you can only hear it inside the cabin, i can definitaly hear it outside under the car.

What i'm mainly concerned about at this point is the car safe to drive?

From what i read about a damper, is it is just to stop noise from happening due to the pulses of the fuel pump? So is this a annoying thing or a function thing?

The fuel pump was replaced right before i bought the car, so i would hope it wasn't that. I bought the car like a month or two ago. It was giving check engine light due to fuel pump while we were looking at the car and they replaced it before we bought it. Maybe they messed up the damper?