The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35 dyno - why is it losing so much power at the wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 dyno - why is it losing so much power at the wheels?

OK, the '04 G35 Coupe is listed at 280 hp, but according to this Dyno at Import Tuner they have a stock Nissan 350z putting down 232 hp at the wheels.
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0609.../photo_03.html

Comparing it to a '03 WRX which is listed at 225 hp, a stock WRX comes in at 202 hp.
http://www.importtuner.com/powerpage.../photo_02.html

As I have driven the '03 WRX a fair amount before buying the G, I can say that the G is only slightly faster...besides weight considerations, I can only attribute this fact to the massive discrepancy in listed hp and realized hp - the G only having 232 (at maximum - since the Nissan 350z engine is listed a little higher than the G, the real value is probably less than this).

So my question is, why is Subaru transmitting 90% of the hp to the wheels, while Infiniti's is only 82% at the wheels. Subaru is a AWD system too - it should be much less than the Infiniti RWD. What's going on here?

Old 02-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Also, I was looking into turbo's/superchargers...I'm into the blow-off sounds, but I hate the whine of the supercharger as it's idling (perhaps all are not like this?). If people have a good recommendation for a turbo with a nasty (in a good way :P) blowoff sound, let me know...

Old 02-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
That must mean the WRX is underrated since it's drivetrain should have more parasitic drag and rob more power. It's nothing new for a manufacturer to overrate or underrate their motors. Look at Mazda and it's RX-8, subject of a class action lawsuit for overrating it's motor. Then there is Ford and their Terminator rating it at 390HP at the flywheel byt dynoes showing it would have more like 425-430HP at the flywhee.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ajax_Baltimore
Also, I was looking into turbo's/superchargers...I'm into the blow-off sounds, but I hate the whine of the supercharger as it's idling (perhaps all are not like this?). If people have a good recommendation for a turbo with a nasty (in a good way :P) blowoff sound, let me know...

They have quiet superchargers. It all has to do with the way the gearing is designed in the headunit. Helical cut gears will be quieter than straight cut.

I actually prefer the whine of a supercharger at idle...pretty intimidating

Old 02-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

This is kinda what my taste is like:
The Vortech supercharger sounds sweet except for their slight rattle noise at idle
The Stillen, on the other hand, sounds awful to me

Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Well, they are two different style blowers as well so it makes a difference.

The vortech is a centifigal blower while the stillen is a roots blower. So the different tone is due to the style of blower rather than who makes it. They have centifigals with helical cut gears. I beleive the Vortech VQ series is what you want to check out. Unsure if they make one for the G35 though

Personally, i love the roots style blower whine. Nothing sounds sexier to me than that whine. I mod a different style car though, but same basic blower setup as the stillen

Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 PM
A If people have a good recommendation for a turbo with a nasty (in a good way :P) blowoff sound, let me know...
Turbos do not make the blow off sound....Blow off Valves make the Blow off Sound. Threads like this make baby Jesus sad.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

This is kinda what my taste is like:
The Vortech supercharger sounds sweet except for their slight rattle noise at idle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntkKp...eature=related
The Stillen, on the other hand, sounds awful to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA7ro...eature=related
Raise your idle to 900 rpms and problem solved.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by Trbulnt
Turbos do not make the blow off sound....Blow off Valves make the Blow off Sound. Threads like this make baby Jesus sad.
Jesus told you not to judge so quickly. Of course I know that. But I also know, a turbo (in general) is going to have more psi for a badder blow off. Unless you are saying you can put some sort of afterkit valve on that will make it sound better.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jesus told you not to judge so quickly. Of course I know that. But I also know, a turbo (in general) is going to have more psi for a badder blow off. Unless you are saying you can put some sort of afterkit valve on that will make it sound better.
I really don't know what to say to that.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:56 AM
What I'm saying is that the turbo kit comes with a blow off valve right? And you are suggesting that a buy another blow off valve instead if I want a different sound?

And I am also saying that a higher psi SHOULD *theoretically* have a more bad *** blow off because of the higher psi.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:41 AM
What I'm saying is that the turbo kit comes with a blow off valve right? And you are suggesting that a buy another blow off valve instead if I want a different sound?

And I am also saying that a higher psi SHOULD *theoretically* have a more bad *** blow off because of the higher psi.

Um. No

You really shouldn't be deciding on a turbo kit by the blow-off noise anyway. If that's all you want it for then you should really just buy one of those little kits that makes a fake blow-off noise.

The turbo is sized for your engines displacement and selecting the right one is critical because one that is the incorrect size might give you HUGE turbo lag and you'll be getting pulled on by a school bus.

Also, boost is a fuction of resistance in your engine. Turbos dont really make boost. Think of it this way. Take two straws. One is tiny and one is maybe 1/2" in diamter. Blow through them. The tiny one feels like it takes a lot more force (boost) to blow through...but which one do you think allows more air to flow?

There are a lot of factors to take into consideration, so you really need to do some research into what you want to run and how to prep your car for it.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

not all turbocharged vehicles have blow-off valves, look at the Grand National.

You really need to do some research before posting any more questions. Please, for the sake of the board. And no, a "higher PSI" should not theoretically have a more "bad-azz" sound. This is where nozzle design comes into play.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by bruddahmanmatt
I really don't know what to say to that.
Agreed X 1,000,000,000,000!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:05 AM
OK, the '04 G35 Coupe is listed at 280 hp, but according to this Dyno at Import Tuner they have a stock Nissan 350z putting down 232 hp at the wheels.
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0609.../photo_03.html

Comparing it to a '03 WRX which is listed at 225 hp, a stock WRX comes in at 202 hp.
http://www.importtuner.com/powerpage.../photo_02.html

As I have driven the '03 WRX a fair amount before buying the G, I can say that the G is only slightly faster...besides weight considerations, I can only attribute this fact to the massive discrepancy in listed hp and realized hp - the G only having 232 (at maximum - since the Nissan 350z engine is listed a little higher than the G, the real value is probably less than this).

So my question is, why is Subaru transmitting 90% of the hp to the wheels, while Infiniti's is only 82% at the wheels. Subaru is a AWD system too - it should be much less than the Infiniti RWD. What's going on here?

Different manufacturers rate their cars differently. There's a saying "German horses are stronger", because typically BMW/MB/Audi all "under rate" their cars. Also, typically, Japanese cars tend to inflate their numbers a little more than usual.

On top of this, you wll see slight variations in numbers from engine to engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 dyno - why is it losing so much power at the wheels?