The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Getting 10-12 MPG on my Coupe?? Is This POSSIBLE?? Help Pleasee!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marcinr
An intake won't help you save fuel, and overinflating the tires won't help very much either. Run the stock pressures, it's a good mix of comfort and performance.

12.5 mpg is low. There's something strange going on.

Do you take a lot of short trips and let the engine cool down in between? When the catalytic converter is cold, the ECU dumps a lot of unburned gas into it to get it up to temperature quickly, which results in horrible mileage for the first couple miles you drive. I don't think I get much over 10mpg with a cold cat either.

Maybe you have a bad O2 sensor which is causing your engine to run very rich?

Another possibility is that there's some sort of high friction loss somewhere in your powertrain, like a brake grabbing. After a drive, check to see if you have any unusually hot spots on the car, like a wheel or the driveshaft tunnel.
Should i try resetting the ECU.. infiniti service told me not to, they said leave it the way it is... but who listens to them

Old 02-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
ECU resets are done way too often, IMO. I don't know if it would help you. The ECU has some default maps built in which it starts out with after being reset, then it slowly modifies them for your car and driving conditions to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio. If you have a bad sensor of some sort which has skewed the maps, then a reset might briefly help, but it would soon return back to the skewed maps as it tries to accommodate to the the faulty inputs. You probably wouldn't notice much difference since one or two drives are enough for the ECU to return completely to the pre-reset state. If all the sensors in the engine are fine, then the ECU reset won't do anything.

If my mileage was that terrible, I would take the car to the mechanic. Do you still have powertrain warranty? This sounds like something that should fall under that.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by marcinr
ECU resets are done way too often, IMO. I don't know if it would help you. The ECU has some default maps built in which it starts out with after being reset, then it slowly modifies them for your car and driving conditions to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio. If you have a bad sensor of some sort which has skewed the maps, then a reset might briefly help, but it would soon return back to the skewed maps as it tries to accommodate to the the faulty inputs. You probably wouldn't notice much difference since one or two drives are enough for the ECU to return completely to the pre-reset state. If all the sensors in the engine are fine, then the ECU reset won't do anything.

If my mileage was that terrible, I would take the car to the mechanic. Do you still have powertrain warranty? This sounds like something that should fall under that.
Yeah the car is full under warranty.. when i called they were telling me oh that sounds normal its a sport car youll be lucky if you get 13 MPG but i doubt i think they just dont wana bother taking their time to look at it when its their job

Old 02-11-2009, 02:07 PM
i get 19MPG with all city driving, usually fill up at after 320Miles. and i get 25MPG hwy (filled up after 427 mile trip) on the hwy. 05 coupe. id say there is definitely something wrong with your car.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
mine is about equal on gas mileage with my 08 Maxima. Yesterday I drove it long distance for the first time and I got 200 miles on a half tank. Normally I get 271 to a full tank but those are like city miles. I think all nissan products are terrible city gas mileage drivers but excellent Highway mileage drivers.....even better than my Accord from yrs ago....

Old 02-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by BostonG6spd
i get 19MPG with all city driving, usually fill up at after 320Miles. and i get 25MPG hwy (filled up after 427 mile trip) on the hwy. 05 coupe. id say there is definitely something wrong with your car.
320 miles WOW definitely going to get mine checked out and they better look at it lol thanks

Old 02-11-2009, 06:12 PM
i regularly get 400 - 450 per tank. I'm about 70% highway 30% city.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:19 AM
^^ +1!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by daman513
Yeah the car is full under warranty.. when i called they were telling me oh that sounds normal its a sport car youll be lucky if you get 13 MPG but i doubt i think they just dont wana bother taking their time to look at it when its their job
Thats a load of bull. Its a G, not a Ferrari. Most of us are getting upper teens-low twenties.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by daman513
I just bought my 05 G35 coupe AT with 27k and its terrible on gas. I filled up to the rim and at exactly half tank i clocked it at about 100 miles maybe a little over. I drive the car slow, i baby the thing, never floor it... That means im only getting about 10 MPG. The car is in mint condition but this gas is killing me, i 1st filled with 93 and was going to continue with it but now i may switch down to 89 and just leave it at that.

Im definitely going to take out my spare tire and next fill up try to throw the ingition cleaner in the gas tank and maybe reset my ECU...

I dont know what else to do but this is definitly not normal... Please help me, what else should i do??
What kinda gas u putting in chevron shell Esso or cheep s^it?? put in a new air filter check air in the tires..those things are cheap do things like that 1st then if it don;t get any bette rtake it to a infiniti dealer

Old 02-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by gr8huntr
What kinda gas u putting in chevron shell Esso or cheep s^it?? put in a new air filter check air in the tires..those things are cheap do things like that 1st then if it don;t get any bette rtake it to a infiniti dealer
All those things are checked new filter oil changed tire pressure i use Hess, sunoco mobile wat everes around me lol i use premium 93...

Old 02-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Now!
You should definitely calculate it when you refill the gas tank, doing it based on any car's gas gauge is notoriously inaccurate. I wouldn't worry about it until you prove it's actually a problem - then you might check your air filter, tire pressure, etc.
+1 you can't use the inside fuel guage to determine your fuel economy. You need to completely fill up, record the gallons you put in, then drive it until you are on empty, then fill up again, record the miles you drove on the previous tank.
Do this about 3 times and then take the average of the 3 tank fulls. That should give you an accurate estimate. If you are doing alot of stop and go (city) driving without the A/C on, you should be around 17-19 miles to the gallon. If you are driving mostly on the highways (fewer stops) without the A/C, you should be getting 24-26 miles to the gallon.

Also, when was the last time you checked your air filter, tire pressure, and your spark plugs? All those can play a part in reducing your fuel economy too.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I 24 mpg as a average all the time, I dont see how you could get that bad of mpg unless you have a lead foot or something is wrong with your car. Try getting a full tune up or driving slower.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Unfortunately, our cars are prone to leadfootitis, which will cause massive amounts of fuel consumption.
My G had the same problem when I first got it and it hasn't gone away much.

Seriously, you will get the manufacturer's rating if you lighten up on the acceleration and deceleration. Use the cruse control on the highway when ever possible.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:37 PM
First of all your buddy is nuts.. You can only put high octane gas into a G otherwise you will encounter carbon build up on your plugs and your injectors, I put 92 Up in my car, also make sure you do check your air filter because if its plugged up or really greasy you wont get the best mileage out of your car, I dont know exactly how you drive it but the higher the gear you are in the lower the revs are when you cruise within the 50-75km/h range, I do about 450km in town on a tank and about 600km on the highway driving 120km/h in 6th gear.. Dont always drive it like a granny either I mean its a sports car after all, im not saying red line it all the time but a lil juice never hurt anything..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting 10-12 MPG on my Coupe?? Is This POSSIBLE?? Help Pleasee!!