The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Why do people not like the V35 Skyline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsouske35
Ill speak from first hand knowledge. I have owned a twin turbo'd G35 and currently driving a 95 gts-t. The straight 6 engine is a Torque Monster!!!! Its unbelievable how much power this engine can put to the ground and I have a RB25DET with a TO4E upgrade. I cant imagine a somewhat modded GTR. The R32-R34 GTR's would smoke any twin turbo G35 imo with a compareable build. The R33 GTS-T feels a lot more powerful then the G35 twin turbo.
Yea... they definitely don't build them like they used to...

And to give Nissan a little bit of credit, although it would have been nice for them to throw an inline six into the R35, the spirit remains in the new one in a sense that they are still a very technologically advanced sports car...

But I'd still be much happier and probably would have considered buying one if it had a new RB motor... or at least a better quality drivetrain...

Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
LOLZ. The "simple" answer to this question is because most people that hug the Skyline's knutz like a baby suckles a nip for its life fluid are usually GT-R fanboys. They have no concept of the the other models (in most cases) so when you say "SKYLINE", they automatically think GTR.

Personally, I think the VQ35 is a great motor and most (older) Skylines just feel old to me. They're fun to drive and all, but if I had a choice between the G and an older non GT-R, I'd still take the G. The only model of ANY of them that really compares, in my eyes, is the GTS-T. Honestly, in stock form, it feels like the 300ZXTT...heavy. I like'em and all, but even if they were available here, I'd stick with the G. Plus, I just like the G35 lines SOOOOOOOOOOO much.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by driftsucky
Personally, I think the VQ35 is a great motor and most (older) Skylines just feel old to me. They're fun to drive and all, but if I had a choice between the G and an older non GT-R, I'd still take the G. The only model of ANY of them that really compares, in my eyes, is the GTS-T. Honestly, in stock form, it feels like the 300ZXTT...heavy. I like'em and all, but even if they were available here, I'd stick with the G. Plus, I just like the G35 lines SOOOOOOOOOOO much.
One thing you need to keep in mind is that Nissan split up the GTR and Skyline names... they are no longer the same car. As for the G35s, I think they are nice (obviously kind of biased here), but in no way deserve the Skyline name... Skylines to me will always be boosted inline sixers, whether it's rwd or awd...

Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
One thing you need to keep in mind is that Nissan split up the GTR and Skyline names... they are no longer the same car. As for the G35s, I think they are nice (obviously kind of biased here), but in no way deserve the Skyline name... Skylines to me will always be boosted inline sixers, whether it's rwd or awd...

Yeah. They split'em up in 09. And what a Skyline is to you isn't what a Skyline actually is. That's the problem right there. By your definition, 90% of Skylines don't deserve the Skyline name because only 2 models have turbos and inline 6's. I mean, that's what I was saying from the get-go. People don't like G's because they only think of Skylines as turbo cars and most Skylines aren't. Heck, most Skylines in Japan aren't. It's on the same line as the Evolution Lancer. MOST of the Evo's aren't the top performance model but that's what everyone associates Evolution Lancer with.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsouske35
Ill speak from first hand knowledge. I have owned a twin turbo'd G35 and currently driving a 95 gts-t. The straight 6 engine is a Torque Monster!!!! Its unbelievable how much power this engine can put to the ground and I have a RB25DET with a TO4E upgrade. I cant imagine a somewhat modded GTR. The R32-R34 GTR's would smoke any twin turbo G35 imo with a compareable build. The R33 GTS-T feels a lot more powerful then the G35 twin turbo. Heres a picture of my skyline here in japan!

Morale of the story
RB straight 6 > VQ35
How can a 2.5L engine have more torque than a 3.5L engine (especially considering that the 3.5L engine is an award winning (and newer))? I think one of the main reasons they put a 3.5L engine in the V35 is because although the R33's you could put mad boost on, it lacked the low end torque. This is why it is almost clear to me that the VQ is an upgrade to the RB. It's not just me saying it, I went on a 300zx forum where a guy was wondering about what engine to put in his 300zx.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=110436

And even the Honda boys have something to say about it

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f17/...s-rb26-305795/

It turns out most people think the VQ is an upgrade over the RB, I mean, the VQ did win a lot of awards. If the 350z is considered a successor to the Z line without a TT, why not the G35 to the R33?

And about the GTR being considered a "Skyline" successor..the GT-R is an $70,000 car! Come on...I'm pretty sure Skyline's were not in that kind of car class. They are billing it as a "supercar". Not to mention that the GTR looks more like a G35 than a R33.

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Nissan-GT-R-Price.html

The only thing I can legitimately think of is the AWD system...the ATTESA-ETS. Which the G35x has. But that's not really a big deal (is it?) - the ET-S isn't full time AWD anyway.

Last edited by Ajax_Baltimore; 02-11-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
INLINE ENGINE

Look at BMWs they use mainly inline engines and are relatively small. An inline engine can pump way more power than something nearly twice it's size.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:46 PM
The VQ is an award winning engine sure, however these were American awards. The RB engine nor Skyline platform never came to the US, there is no way they could have won any awards. Instead the RB was proven where it really counted, on the track. The performance of the R32 speaks for itself.

Top Secret, one of the premier tuning garages chose to put an RB26 into its Z33 Pikes Peak hill climb machine. It chose to replace the VQ of its V35 Nissan Skyline Autobahn racer with a VK45. Now I will give you the fact that Top Secret changes engines just to be different occasionally (example RB26 into MKIV Supra), but its pretty evident tuning the RB is preferred over tuning the VQ. I can easily admit that if the G35 came with the option of an RB26DETT or VQ I would have 100% taken the RB, even if it cost more.

http://www.topsecretjpn.com/gallery.shtml

Its obvious by chassis codes that the 350Z is the replacement of the 300ZX: ...Z31, Z32, Z33... However the G35 is a V platform, not an R platform. The lineage goes ...R31, R32, R33, R34, R35... therefore the only assumption can be that the R35 is the next in the family, whether or not the R35 is called a Skyline or not is inconsequential. The V35 is called a Nissan Skyline in Japan, not a Nissan Skyline GT-R.

Sure the new GT-R is a $70,000 supercar (Nissan's term). But the R32-R34 GT-R's were not cheap either. By the time the last R34 Skyline V-Spec II and Nur Spec models came out they were well into the mid $60,000 range and thats a yen price converted to dollars.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by 4DGS
INLINE ENGINE

Look at BMWs they use mainly inline engines and are relatively small. An inline engine can pump way more power than something nearly twice it's size.
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...no-t55845.html

User "sweetr33" 's dyno results with a pretty much stock skyline

"R33 GTST
Series 1
Stock turbo
Stock ECU
Stock cooler
Ran 12psi,
Cat back 3 inch
K&N pod
made 160rwkw
hoping to better than with new engine"

160 kw = 215 hp...I doubt that 2.5 L engine is putting down more torque (of course, have to have the torque graph to be sure)

Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 PM
The GTR is a GTR's successor. GTR's have always been in the $45k+ range. Even used, a GOOD R34 will run you every bit of 35k. You can get one with a bad waterpump or a boost leak in the mid 20's tho. So, I think the GTR is a successor. However, like I said before, most people say "skyline" and mean "gtr".

The RB motors had very good torque. The Skyline is just so heavy, it didn't matter. Throw that in an S-chassis car (S13, 14, or 15), and you're in like flint.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by nickjl
The VQ is an award winning engine sure, however these were American awards. The RB engine nor Skyline platform never came to the US, there is no way they could have won any awards. Instead the RB was proven where it really counted, on the track. The performance of the R32 speaks for itself.

Top Secret, one of the premier tuning garages chose to put an RB26 into its Z33 Pikes Peak hill climb machine. It chose to replace the VQ of its V35 Nissan Skyline Autobahn racer with a VK45. Now I will give you the fact that Top Secret changes engines just to be different occasionally (example RB26 into MKIV Supra), but its pretty evident tuning the RB is preferred over tuning the VQ. I can easily admit that if the G35 came with the option of an RB26DETT or VQ I would have 100% taken the RB, even if it cost more.

http://www.topsecretjpn.com/gallery.shtml

Its obvious by chassis codes that the 350Z is the replacement of the 300ZX: ...Z31, Z32, Z33... However the G35 is a V platform, not an R platform. The lineage goes ...R31, R32, R33, R34, R35... therefore the only assumption can be that the R35 is the next in the family, whether or not the R35 is called a Skyline or not is inconsequential. The V35 is called a Nissan Skyline in Japan, not a Nissan Skyline GT-R.

Sure the new GT-R is a $70,000 supercar (Nissan's term). But the R32-R34 GT-R's were not cheap either. By the time the last R34 Skyline V-Spec II and Nur Spec models came out they were well into the mid $60,000 range and thats a yen price converted to dollars.
The VK45 is a more powerful V8 engine so that's not saying anything about the VQ. What it does say is that the chassis is so well balanced that they can do that - multiple authorities have said that the G35 is an extremely well balanced car.

Nur Spec models are not allowed for price quotes :P and additionally the dollar was about 1.5 times as strong back then as it is now, so a $70,000 car from now would have been like $90,000 10 years ago - no Skyline from 10 years ago was ever close to that price not even the R-tune :P.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Actually, the VQ motor has gotten more than just American awards. It's is pretty much world renound. Nissan is no slouch when it comes to its motors.

Top Secret, one of the premier tuning garages chose to put an RB26 into its Z33 Pikes Peak hill climb machine... Now I will give you the fact that Top Secret changes engines just to be different occasionally (example RB26 into MKIV Supra), but its pretty evident tuning the RB is preferred over tuning the VQ...
At that time, the VQ wasn't developed. 2 years after the VQ came out, it still had LIMITED aftermarket tuning support because it was so well balanced from the factory. MOST exhaust systems for the Z did nothing and many actually caused a loss in power and torque. Bolt-ons, efficient ones anyway, were non existant and even FI was limited. I remeber when Greddy and APS were the only ways to go boost in the VQ. Greddy was pretty much a race kit requiring tuning and rebuilding and APS was a basic bolt-on kit that gave you 30-40hp. NOW, you've got plenty of tuning options but the motor is 6-7 years old. So, that really isn't a valid argument.

The argument isn't whether the G35 is a GTR or not. It's whether or not it's a Skyline. And it DOES matter what Nissan calls it because it's THEIR car. LOLZ. That's the funniest thing I've ever heard within the car community (not you specifically).

Agreed. But, the V-Spec is rumored to be twice that, so it's still leaps and bounds above in price. However, it stays in line cuz 60k 8 years ago would be about 110-140 depending on dollar value.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Here's a dollar calculator to help out.

http://dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

Old 02-11-2009, 06:21 PM
According to that fancy-schmancy figureamajigger, the only Skyline that comes close to the GTR price today is the Z-tune. So, FAIL for price comparison. WIN for those who say VQ is the ish.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by driftsucky
According to that fancy-schmancy figureamajigger, the only Skyline that comes close to the GTR price today is the Z-tune. So, FAIL for price comparison. WIN for those who say VQ is the ish.
If I had the money and the choice, I would buy a Z-Tune over a R35 any day.

90% of this discussion is hilarious...

Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not going to argue over which one is better. I have already stated my opinion. But just for argument purposes. The earlier statement of 215hp from a stock engine and stock turbo pushing 12psi(0.9 bar?) Thats weak sauce. The greatest thing about the RB lines of engines is how much boost you can toss on it with stock internals. Just for the record, on stock internals I was pushing 20PSI(1.5 bar) roughly with a To4E. The torque created once I got into boost was insane. Not to mention, the skyline is a lot lighter then our fat @$$ g35's. How many VQ's how there you know that are pushing 20+ PSI with little to no problem. I could say none.

Just for the record, here in okinawa, japan the cheapest R34 GTR VSPEC II is going for about 50k+. I have only seen 1 on the road in the last year.

Btw, if you have never driven a Skyline RB turbo engine, your argument is completely invalid just because thats what you have read on the internet. You have to experience it to believe it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why do people not like the V35 Skyline