The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Why do people not like the V35 Skyline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by driftsucky
Actually, the VQ motor has gotten more than just American awards. It's is pretty much world renound. Nissan is no slouch when it comes to its motors.
What awards? specifically, other than Ward's which is only given to motors used in cars sold in the US?

The argument isn't whether the G35 is a GTR or not. It's whether or not it's a Skyline. And it DOES matter what Nissan calls it because it's THEIR car. LOLZ. That's the funniest thing I've ever heard within the car community (not you specifically).
You totally misread that paragraph, the primary point was that Nissan began to distinguish between the between the Skyline (new V family) and the GT-R continuing the R family. The second point was that the R35 is technically not called a Skyline, its a GT-R, because the V35 is already named the Skyline.

Agreed. But, the V-Spec is rumored to be twice that, so it's still leaps and bounds above in price. However, it stays in line cuz 60k 8 years ago would be about 110-140 depending on dollar value.
Not really sure what throwing the new V spec into the debate had to do with the prices of R34's. The Nur spec was approximately 6.1 mil yen new, the V-Spec was 5.8 new, the standard R34 GT-R was 5 mil yen new. I used the Nur spec because it was barely more expensive than the V-Spec's were, they came out to $60,000 after inflation and 2002 exchange rate. I dont even bring up the S, R or Z-Tune because they weren't sold from the factory.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gsouske35
Im not going to argue over which one is better. I have already stated my opinion. But just for argument purposes. The earlier statement of 215hp from a stock engine and stock turbo pushing 12psi(0.9 bar?) Thats weak sauce. The greatest thing about the RB lines of engines is how much boost you can toss on it with stock internals. Just for the record, on stock internals I was pushing 20PSI(1.5 bar) roughly with a To4E. The torque created once I got into boost was insane. Not to mention, the skyline is a lot lighter then our fat @$$ g35's. How many VQ's how there you know that are pushing 20+ PSI with little to no problem. I could say none.

Just for the record, here in okinawa, japan the cheapest R34 GTR VSPEC II is going for about 50k+. I have only seen 1 on the road in the last year.

Btw, if you have never driven a Skyline RB turbo engine, your argument is completely invalid just because thats what you have read on the internet. You have to experience it to believe it.
Umm, my argument is not completely invalid. You're talking about feelings. Unless you have dyno results to prove anything you're talking about - I want to see the torque graph that disproves what I said. You are saying that a 2.5L RB has more torque than a 3.5L VQ, before turbo kicks. At least I come up with real numbers.

And your argument that the RB is easier to boost, you're right - however there are PLENTY of G's putting down more than 20psi so you're argument is invalid.

The G is heavy, true. So was the Skyline. It was NOTORIOUS for being heavy. If you are from Japan how do you not know this?? The Skyline R33 was 3400 lbs, same as the G35.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Theres not a single dyno on the island(okinawa).

Ok cool you showed me 2 cars with 20+ PSI, after how many thousand dollars later?

If you read any of my post, no where did I ever say a N/A RB25DE would out do a VQ35DE. Toss a turbo on both those engines, and you will see better results on the RB25 versus the VQ35 with a lot less money spent.

My car weights 2800lbs and thats with no weight reduction.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
You can't compare tuning vs tuning because that's not relative. One motor is a) NEWER, and with that comes with more "computer interference" and b) the VQ motor hasn't been out NEARLY as long as the RB has been around. It's bound to be more tuning options and cheaper tuning options for it than the newer VQ. It's like comparing a K20 to a B16. One is like a million years old and the other is fresh. Simple logic will tell you which one is more expensive.

Furthermore, 20psi on the VQ will produce more hp than 20psi on the RB because the base hp figures are higher. So, if you do the same thing to the same motor (again, money removed because older technology is almost ALWAYS less expensive), the VQ will produce greater results.

Motor for motor, the VQ is a better produced motor, imo. That's not to say I don't like the RB. However, if the G came with an RB, I'd only get it if it was a less expensive option. I wouldn't pay more for older technology that I'd have to tune to get up to snuff.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For people to say that the V35 isn't a skyline, but the GTR is, I rind a little odd. The V35 is a V6, as is the GTR... The V35 comes with an altessa awd syatem, (well the X does), and the GTR also has a version of it. They use a lot of visual keys together... and so on, and so forth. What I do find interesting is what the GTR has in common with the old skylines, and I find myself thinking well what does the GTR have in common that the V doesn't? The answer.. Nothing, except for the name, and performance. The problem is that too many people associated Skyline, with GTR, and vice versa, without realising the humble origins, or the whole range. So, in my mind, those folks who say the V isn't a skyline, their opinion is obviously not worth listening to, as they know diddly squat anyway.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
For people to say that the V35 isn't a skyline, but the GTR is, I rind a little odd. The V35 is a V6, as is the GTR... The V35 comes with an altessa awd syatem, (well the X does), and the GTR also has a version of it. They use a lot of visual keys together... and so on, and so forth. What I do find interesting is what the GTR has in common with the old skylines, and I find myself thinking well what does the GTR have in common that the V doesn't? The answer.. Nothing, except for the name, and performance. The problem is that too many people associated Skyline, with GTR, and vice versa, without realising the humble origins, or the whole range. So, in my mind, those folks who say the V isn't a skyline, their opinion is obviously not worth listening to, as they know diddly squat anyway.
There IS a difference. See, the older Skylines were in, not only, the Fast and Furious movie franchise (R33, R34), but they were top cars in MANY of the Need for Speed series from Underground 1 and up. That gives them far more baller status than cars such as the R30, R32, or V35. Also, the new GT-R is a GT-R so it's holy by default.
lolz.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, because as we all know, heritage comes from computer games !

Anyway, May I hark back to my favourite Skyline of all time... The Datsun GTR!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 AM
That's so sexy. I can't comfortably fit in one, but it IS nice.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by 4DGS
INLINE ENGINE

Look at BMWs they use mainly inline engines and are relatively small. An inline engine can pump way more power than something nearly twice it's size.
Not true. Inline engines are naturally "harmonically balanced"...which means that as the cylinders fire off they do not induce detrimental vibrations on the crank shaft. They rev much more smoothly and can be revved higher for this reason. As far as torque production goes, there is no given cylinder configuration which is superior....basically all else being equal (frictional losses, cylinder head design, F.I. or N/A etc. etc.) the engine with the greater displacement will make more torque in a given rpm. The difference is that because inline engines are naturally easier to rev higher, thus they can be made to produce a lot of horsepower without making much torque, this is why hondas use "teh VTAK y0!"...to make the engine breathe more effeciently at high rpm. V-engines usually go with higher displacement so they dont need to rev as high to make the same power (ie 3.5 V6 versus 2.6 I-6t). This is a better way to go for commercial non-extreme-performance oriented engines. Lower rpm, higher torque motors are easier to drive and the parts are less stressed.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:39 PM
The thing with everyone is, when everyone hears SKYLINE, they do think of the R series only. The SKYLINE is a MODEL. People automatically think that the G35 is not a skyline because OH IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THE OLD ONE. That is just it, it does not look like the "OLD" one. You expect Nissan as time goes by with the new technologies available to stay with the OLD? Of course the tuners want to tune the RB engines more because of the strength of the engine, the less cost of tuning. I mean with the RB26, it's so easy to increase HP by simply putting a chip in for starters. The reason Nissan changed chassis is because the R34 was not selling as well in Japan, compared to R32, 33 where they sold over 250k and the R34, 64,623 units sold. So Nissan decided to go global and more luxurious to compete with their rivals such as BMW, Merc. Why they didn't keep the Skyline name in the US? Well Nissan wanted to compete remember, so they badged it, with their luxury division, Infiniti. If I import a right hand drive Skyline from Japan which is the G35 here....DO I STILL NOT HAVE A SKYLINE? Whether you like it or not the Skyline BRAND will change chassis and looks for the future as it has since 1957 when PRINCE Motor Co first started the whole Skyline, GT-R. All Skylines are made in the same factory in Tochigi Japan. The V series is a new generation of Skyline. The 11th to be exact. If you still think that the Skyline was and will always be the R series, then that's just your opinion. Our generation has grown up to the legends of Grand Turismo with the R series. It's natural to believe that, that's all there is to the Skyline. Nissan as a company needs to make money, so the whole changing of the Skyline R series to the V series, is simply all marketing and all about sales. V35 = Skyline BRAND whether you believe or too ignorant to see the fact that thats what Nissan has made. My two cents.

Last edited by djjoelb48; 02-13-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by djjoelb48
The SKYLINE is a BRAND
Nissan = Make (brand)

Skyline = Model

GTR, GTS-T = Sub models

Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM
-4=Sub ZeroLOLZ.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 PM