The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Adding on a Homelink mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Adding on a Homelink mirror

I recently added on a Homelink rearview mirror to my '05 G sedan that had a base non-powered rearview mirror. I want to share my experience with this project for others that mite be interested in the details to this job. I did search this site first to see a if this could be done and I found that others have done this, but the details to the job was missing.

I searched Ebay for a used OEM G35 Homelink mirror at a good price. I found one for $52 DLVD. The mirror did not have the wire harness to hard wire for power, but also on Ebay there is a guy (wemblysells) that sells new Homelink mirrors w/the wire harness and just the wire harness for case link mine. The wire harness was $29 DLVD and it comes with instructions for the hard wire. The prep work was next.

I disconnected the negative cable from the battery and removed the base non-powered rearview mirror. I next removed the A-pillar cover on the driver's side. This is done easily with a flat screw driver by poping it off with tug outwards. The cover pops back in with the palm of your hand. The install was next.

I started by positioning the 10-pin connector end from the wire harness that connects to the Homelink mirror into the factory headliner opening above the rearview mirror area. Once placed with some play for the connecting to the mirror, I ran the wires into the headliner to the A-pillar. This was easily done by getting a plastic picnic knife and using it to gently pull down the headliner at the edge and placeing the wire in (this was very, very easy). Once at the A-pillar you run the wires down and zip tie the wires to the other wires that are there (the wire harness comes with zip ties). The wires that are there run down into the fuse box area, so I followed this same openning down to the floor board for the harness wires. To hardwire into the fuse box (I got addition help, more on that later) I used a "Add a Circuit" to run the two power wires into a ignition powered fuse. I used the side view mirror fuse to add on the "Add a Circuit" since these are on once the ignition is switched on. The "Add a Circuit" has placement for two fuses (one the the orginal item and one for the add-on item). Once the Add a Circuit was plugged into the original placement, it was time for the ground wire. There is a bolt above the fuse box area to the left that can be used for frame gounding. The bolt is screwed into the metal side, so this is want I used. To get to the bolt, you will need to remove black plastic foot rest on the left and the grey plastic fuse box complete molding (not just the fuse box door). Removing these two plastic items will make it easier to get to the grounding bolt that is a pain to get to. Once grounded, you can replace the removed moldings and place the Homelink mirror into place, then connect. Check for the green light power to come on after the battery cable is reconnected once the ignition is switched on.

I hope this helps others that mite have this project in mind. It was not that hard to do.

A helping hand for this came for MY350Z.com moderator Jason Garza with his sugguestion that I using a "Add a Circuit" for the powering into the fuse box. He informed me that this way would be easyest. I searched there for some help and Jason was online and had done this before. He gave me his cell number after I sent him a privete message and we spoke about this.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/...2028-51119.jpg

Above is the "Add a Circuit".

This is my experience and nothing more.

Last edited by AzWildcatG; 03-02-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Thanks man! Forgive my ignorance but what options did you gain. I know the garage door opener is one of them.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts
I never understood people that actually have this option go ahead and put one of those ricer/wide rear view mirrors lol idk guess they take it 4 granted by the way good job on details...

Old 03-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The OEM Homelink rearview mirror has three buttons for opening garage doors or turning on lights in your home with a reciever transmitter that can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot. I have not done this home light deal, I wanted the Homelink for the second and third buttons to open the gate at my In-Laws. My wife's Acura came standard with the Homelink mirror and I always felt silly calling my In-Laws to open the gate once we arrive to their home in my G. There is also a auto dim feature.

http://stores.ebay.com/WembleySells

The above is for the wire harness.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant you just wire it to the map lights right there? should be a wire there with constant power.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 AM
i know!

So I know this is a hella old forum, but I just thought I'd post my findings to help anyone else who wants to install an autodim mirror on their G.
Took my like an hour to find all the things I needed to make me feel comfortable with purchasing and installing an auto dim mirror, so here goes.

The exact mirror that comes in the premium models of the G is the GENK40 (Gentex) and can be purchased
here here
; you're prolly better off looking on an eBay or similar site because I just linked this as a reference and it is cheaper elsewhere.

As far as installation is concerned it's easy.
A similar guide to what Infiniti technicians use to install the mirror is here (I think it's for an Altima, but whatever the only difference I saw was the coin tray thing).

So there you go (an hour of my life summed up in about a paragraph, go figure ).
Mirror and install guide, $500 cheaper than Infiniti.

Thanks to all the people here at this site for stuff I stole from their threads and member "Kidatheart" over at Fresh Alloy for the technician's guide!

PS: If I missed anything or if you have a better way of doing it let me know!
I'm going to be installing as soon as my mirror gets here, so if any of this is wrong I'll come back and amend.

Last edited by ilovemyskyline; 09-03-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:22 PM
AZWildcat:

Thanks for posting this. I just installed a homelink mirror in my sedan and love it. Without the add a circuit tip, it would have been much tougher to cut into the factory wiring. It's tight down there and there isn't much slack in the wires.

Mark

Old 02-09-2010, 02:13 AM
Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts
^ Wow thread digger lol

Old 04-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bring this post from the dead, but I have a question on the install..

The wire harness I purchased (same as originally poster) has two powers.. One is for constant and one is for ignition power. According to the original instructions it sounds like both were plugged into the same "add a circuit" and plugged into the power mirrors which you say are ignition power.. So does that mean you don't have any constant?

What did anyone else do for constant power? Use another add a circuit into a different fuse?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Don't know the answer, but I had to congratulate you as a new member for searching through the site for an answer. Wish we had more new members like you.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Don't know the answer, but I had to congratulate you as a new member for searching through the site for an answer. Wish we had more new members like you.
Thanks! I am new to this forum, but certainly not new to car forums in general. I know the lay of the land and how irritating it can be to see the same questions dozens of times.

Since I purchased my G35 last Thursday and probably for the 3-4 days prior to that I have found myself totally unproductive at work since I have been glued to this site and cramming info like there is an exam coming up.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
^ ahaha I do this instead of cramming for my exams. And let me tell you, the addiction never decreases...

Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, thanks for the post, I just might do this

Old 05-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi-

So I've ran the cable and hooked up the add-a-circuits to the end of the harness wires, but need some help picking a ignition power and a constant power. I really prefer for it to be on the left side (under air bag) of the fuse box because if I put the add-a-circuit on the right side, I can't fit the cover back on. Does anyone have a suggestion for each circuit? I rather not use the air bag or push start.. I really just prefer not to use anything that will kill me or leave me stranded if something goes wrong.. I'm not sure what the Meter is or Elec Parts, the labeling seems pretty generic.

Any ideas?

Name:  IMAG0352.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  47.6 KB