The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

sorry to the people that will probaly get mad....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol@this you're just asking for smart comments. By your post count and join date I wouldnt take this thread seriously.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:45 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by jfizz313
Its entry level luxury
Actually, it's just a Skyline... nothing much better than a rear wheel drive Maxima... it's really nothing special but they market it here as an entry level luxury car so it won't compete with their Nissan flagship for customers. The seats aren't really that comfy... they offer great support but really are too stiff to be seriously considered as luxury. Although this car is nice, if you really believe it's any kind of luxury car, you got sold really well (a reason why many companies spend most of their money on marketing).

Last edited by dofu; 03-30-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why the fk this and why the fk that?
The G is a piece of crap. that's why i love driving the chit out of it.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
Actually, it's just a Skyline... nothing much better than a rear wheel drive Maxima... it's really nothing special but they market it here as an entry level luxury car so it won't compete with their Nissan flagship for customers. The seats aren't really that comfy... they offer great support but really are too stiff to be seriously considered as luxury. Although this car is nice, if you really believe it's any kind of luxury car, you got sold really well (a reason why many companies spend most of their money on marketing).
I hear you and agree somewhat, however if the G35 isn't the entry level luxury car what model is entry level for Infiniti?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:04 PM
I don't quite understand your reasoning for posting this or what you are trying to convey. The G's interior and amenities are on par with the other cars in it's class that is labeled entry level luxury sport. The G37 competes with the BMW 3 series, Lexus IS250 & 350, and the Mercedes C class. The Maxima is quite luxurious now, but the two cars couldn't be further away based on driving experience. The two cars are built on entirely different platforms. The G is built around the same platform as the 370z.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:47 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
Old 03-31-2009, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by Virus
I don't quite understand your reasoning for posting this or what you are trying to convey. The G's interior and amenities are on par with the other cars in it's class that is labeled entry level luxury sport. The G37 competes with the BMW 3 series, Lexus IS250 & 350, and the Mercedes C class. The Maxima is quite luxurious now, but the two cars couldn't be further away based on driving experience. The two cars are built on entirely different platforms. The G is built around the same platform as the 370z.
Marketing, that's all I have to say... There's a reason why it's not a Nissan over here...

Old 03-31-2009, 07:49 AM
Marketing, that's all I have to say... There's a reason why it's not a Nissan over here...
You have a distaste for the G it seems and its all good, however you still did not answer my question. Since the G isn't Infiniti's entry level into the luxery market, (according to you), which Infiniti model is?

They seem to think it is their entry level and I'm sure you are on top of it more than the crew at Infiniti, however I'd love to hear what your expert opinion is on this question sir.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by jetdoc
You have a distaste for the G it seems and its all good, however you still did not answer my question. Since the G isn't Infiniti's entry level into the luxery market, (according to you), which Infiniti model is?

They seem to think it is their entry level and I'm sure you are on top of it more than the crew at Infiniti, however I'd love to hear what your expert opinion is on this question sir.

No, I absolutely love my G. But just because it's badged as an Infiniti here does not really make it a luxury car (although it is in marketing). They respect this car as much as a Camry over there in Japan. (ok, maybe it gets a bit more respect than a Camry) Now, if it was a GTR... that'd be a different story. The IS isn't really much of a luxury car either... Granted, they are both much more refined from their previous generations, but so was the EVO...

Last edited by dofu; 03-31-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 AM
Gotcha, so the EX which starts at 35,400 is the entry level? Actually its priced lower than the G coupe at 35,900, so now I am really confused as the G isn't even the lowest priced Infiniti....dang! haha

You're entitlted to your opinion and its all good. The use of the term Luxury is subjective. To you a G isn't a entry level Luxury, however to some it is. To some none of the Infiniti's are Luxury vehicles.

Peace.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 AM
So what are your metrics to be considered a luxury branded car? By your thought process, Acura and Lexus are just Honda and Toyota since they are branded as such in Japan. I'm not arguing the branding change for the US is to merely make us feel like we have important cars. I mean, every reputable automotive journalist considers the G an entry level luxury vehicle. I personally don't care what the brand name is as long as I get good service and the vehicle I like. I am not aware of any Nissan dealerships that offer free oil changes, free inspections, $50 to spend in the Infiniti Boutique, Limousine service to and from the airport, loaner car, free food and beverages, plush waiting room with 52 inch plasma and every automotive magazine, free wifi and the list just goes on. Lastly just as jetdoc stated, "the use of the term luxury is subjective". The Nissan Maxima is more luxurious inside than the G, but that doesn't make it a luxury vehicle by my metrics :-) The Toyota Avalon is more luxurious than the Lexus ES 350, but the Avalon is not a luxury vehicle :-)

Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
I think what he's saying is something along these lines. IN 90% of the world, Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura do not exist. The cars that we buy (as Americans) under this brand are badged differently for most of the world. Were it true luxury, it would be uniform across the board (as far as options and amenities go). For instance, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, even Chrysler are generally the same from one country to another. They are not called one thing in America and another in other countries. They are what they are. Every Infiniti has "MANUFACTURED BY NISSAN" on their VIN plate. IN essence, we are paying for Ralph Lauren and getting Chaps.

And let's not fool ourselves; Japanese luxury brands were not made to compete with other luxury brands. They were simply a way to ease the United States market into buying Japanese brands. The quality was percieved to be higher even though the vehicles were the same as their blue-collar counterpart. It just so happens that many brands, across the board, now have the clout and ability to compete in different arenas.

Now, Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura all have very nice vehicles and I would definately label them as American luxury. However, I think what Dofu is saying is that we should not be caught up in the "Infiniti" name when it's parts and heart is Nissan.

Lastly, the G is Infiniti's entry level luxury car. And the G has luxury amenities. Standard heated power seats, standard upgraded stereo, standard leather, etc...It's a luxury car. Sure, you can build a Camry with that stuff but it ain't standard. However, I think some people take "standard" for granted (the G isn't luxury) and some people take name brand too far (cuz the G is a Nissan). It goes both ways. In the end, if you bought your G, regardless the reason or what your plans are for it, hopefully you like it.