The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Tough Decision... G35 vs M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand everyone's points, I just think it's funny that he went to a G35 forum asking if he should buy a G, and almost everyone is saying go with the other car, haha

Just take into account how much money you want to spend, and do your homework on the cars before you go out and get it.

M3's are sexy though, I'd get one if I had the dough, too.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i wouldn't buy a used BMW or turbocharged car without expecting problems
and never own a BMW past warranty
just my .02

Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do we need fast cars these days? People dont race on the streets anymore. Pick something that you can enjoy and have nothing to worry about after you bought it. Well, money is a big part that you will have to worry. 1 vote for the G because it is cheaper, fun to drive, good performance, handling. You should go and test drive both cars to see the differences. M3 is heavier, and for sure the handling is not as good as G. I know that M3 has more hp, but it doesnt mean that the M3 is always better. Let's imagine that you bring your M3 to a Beemer dealer, and the code reader goes bling bling, at that point you know that you're losing a lot of money. But a G, most of the problems can be fixed for under $500, it will be a lot cheaper if we fix the problems somewhere else that we can trust (this is what I usually do). M3, I bet you dont want to let anyone other than the dealer to touch it. Good luck, hope you enjoy your new car as much as I do because I got a G

Old 05-22-2009, 03:45 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nismoz
W M3 is heavier, and for sure the handling is not as good as G.
Oh, no way. The M3's suspension feels a lot more precise than the G, and it's more nimble, maybe it's a lower center of gravity, or better tuning, I'm not sure, but there's no way that it's worse, despite being a bit heavier. I'm no M3 fanatic here since I drive a G, but having driven both, the M3 outhandles our G's. I'd still most likely buy a G if I had the choice though, just not based on handling!

Old 05-22-2009, 03:59 AM
E46 M3 for sure.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:27 AM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by marcinr
Oh, no way. The M3's suspension feels a lot more precise than the G, and it's more nimble, maybe it's a lower center of gravity, or better tuning, I'm not sure, but there's no way that it's worse, despite being a bit heavier. I'm no M3 fanatic here since I drive a G, but having driven both, the M3 outhandles our G's. I'd still most likely buy a G if I had the choice though, just not based on handling!

I agree. The BMW suspension and ride is just smooth. Put it this way, in a G or any Nissan, if you run over a pebble or a crack on the road, you would feel every crack and bump. In a BMW, you can run over a baby and not feel it. That's how solid and smooth the car is.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Im talking about cornering. Because of the heavy body, M3 will slide to one side not too much but you can feel it. A G with Sport suspension (Sport package) cornering is just like driving on straight way. But that is just me. Not because Im a G driver then Im gonna say good things about the G. M3 got more HP than the G, rare to see on the streets here in Socal (OC). But again, like I said, OP should go and test drive both cars and think about your budget when any problems happen, do you get enough money to fix. It is all about money now, both cars are nice, and great performance.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can afford to maintain the M3, you would be a complete idiot to pass it up. I recently downgraded from an M3 to an 03 coupe, its not even close how much better the M3 is. I wish i could have kept the M3, but i need to save for a house.

M3 is faster
M3 is more comfortable
M3 handles better

I like my G a lot, it was a very good downgrade, but if i didnt need to save money to get a house i wouldn't have sold it.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Im talking about cornering. Because of the heavy body, M3 will slide to one side not too much but you can feel it
Have you driven an M3 or 3-series hard enough to compare the handling to a G? If the M3 you're talking about had worn tires, or your G35 had much better tires, I can see how the M3 was worse, but that car has a far sportier suspension than G35 with sport suspension and it's better balanced. Heck, I'd take a non-M 3-series sport suspension over G35 sport suspension too. BMW's just tuck into turns more, they understeer less, and they're much more communicative through the steering wheel. I'm a snob when it comes to good handling (my other car is a Lotus Elise), and it's what I pay attention to when driving cars.

So, the short version; I don't think you know what you're talking about

Old 05-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Im talking about cornering. Because of the heavy body, M3 will slide to one side not too much but you can feel it. A G with Sport suspension (Sport package) cornering is just like driving on straight way. But that is just me. Not because Im a G driver then Im gonna say good things about the G. M3 got more HP than the G, rare to see on the streets here in Socal (OC). But again, like I said, OP should go and test drive both cars and think about your budget when any problems happen, do you get enough money to fix. It is all about money now, both cars are nice, and great performance.
I don't think weight is an issue. It's a M3.

G35: 3,508 LB
G37: 3590 LB

2000-2006
M3: 3415 LB

2007+
M3: 3650 LB

Old 05-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
M3 was and still is my dream car but thats it i only want to own a E46 M3 in my dreams they suck at reliabilty they are uber sexy and pretty fast. Oh and by the way guys BMW no longer CPOs the E46 line, its not profitable for them to cpo a car that WILL give problems over time. even if you try and do a 3rd party warranty program it will be expensive because of all the problems they have had to deal with. Im talking from experiance guys so dont try and argue with me on this.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think anyone will argue with you on this. You're definitely right, M3s are not CPO worthy, and third party warranty programs cost into the tens of thousands of dollars. Even if you decide to bring your car into a independent shop, the labor and parts costs are still astronomical.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 PM
bah... get a 370

Old 05-23-2009, 12:13 AM
^ 370z is love. Agreed-get that car.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by shabarivas
bah... get a 370
Every time i see the front end of that thing i want to punch a baby.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tough Decision... G35 vs M3