The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

to repaint or not to repaint..please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to repaint or not to repaint..please help

hey i just had a question and wanted to get some other peoples opinions on it..
i couldn't really find a subtopic for it so this is where i had to put it

so i got got hit and my rear bumper needed to be repainted but not fixed or any other damager to it..the place that repainted my bumper told me its impossible to match the colors perfect without blending it in with quarter panel which i believe but when i got my car back the bumper looked very different in the sunlight and when any type of glare on it..from some angles it looks ok but from some it looks bad..i paid them a nice amount of money to repaint the bumper so i think they should find a better way to match it and re do it for me..does anyone else agree or is it really that hard to match a bumper to the car
my paint is diamond graphite and i have 06 sedan (if that helps paint a picture in your head)
and the bumper is on the darker side as a appose to the lighter side of the actually paint on the rest of my car

sorry if you wasted your time reading this..just would really appreciate other opinions thankyouu

Last edited by BEARS2363; 06-05-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:06 PM
If there good then they can do a better job. Im a painter so I know what im saying. It is hard for most painters to do that because paint looks different on metal then plastic. But it can be done! If thats what you apid for then thats what they need to do.

Can you post pictures?

Old 06-05-2009, 08:27 PM
horrible right....

Old 06-05-2009, 08:29 PM
yea ill get some up in a few mins

Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 PM
for some reason it wont work..i have the pictures in my photo bucket..but i put copied every single link into this page and each of them takes you to the photobucket homepage

Old 06-05-2009, 08:38 PM
my bad i was being stupid there for a sec.but let me kno what u think..i think it looks uglyyy

Old 06-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
It may not be easy to match, I've seen body kits painted DG that looked terrible but a good body shop should be able to come very close. If they can't match it ask for your money back, you didn't pay for a half azz job.... The pic you posted are to close to get a perspective on the color difference.
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 06-05-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM
yea i had a feeling it was going to come out different, so i specifically asked him if he was going to blend the paint to make it match the stock paint..and clearly he didnt do that or if he did he shouldnt be working at a body shop right

Old 06-06-2009, 06:46 AM
I dont know were you went so im not trying to start a fight with the shop....... but it can be much much better!

1) If there good with colors (there not) then they can get the color closer then that with out blending. Its a good idear to blend, but that color is so far off that you would not want to blend that with out getting it closer.

2) If the color was right on, it would look a little different if they dont know what there doing. Static eclectricity will make color dry faster or slower. The bumper was painted off the car and its plastic and the car is metal. The bumper is plastic so it dryed the paint faster witch gave the metallic less time to lay down, so the color looks darker. A good painter will have some tricks to fix these things, like grounding the car to the wall to pull away the static, and cleaning the bumper with anti-static cleaner.

So in the end they can fix it or give you your money back and go some were that can fix it.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:23 PM
i see..looks like i should have done my homework before i got this done..sweet
well the way it worked out this guy got paid about 500 to repaint the bumper, to me that paint job is not even worth 200 dollars.what do u think PPGFREAK
how much would it cost to get a bumper painted from a good place that will match it well..and do you think i should have him try and re do it or what...cuz it cant stay like that
or should i try and get my money back or what..this sucks

Old 06-06-2009, 01:03 PM
and what exactly did you mean by ground the car to the wall, the bumper will be off the car wen he paints it..so do u mean like ground the car to a wall then take off the bumper or what?

Old 06-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by BEARS2363
i see..looks like i should have done my homework before i got this done..sweet
well the way it worked out this guy got paid about 500 to repaint the bumper, to me that paint job is not even worth 200 dollars.what do u think PPGFREAK
how much would it cost to get a bumper painted from a good place that will match it well..and do you think i should have him try and re do it or what...cuz it cant stay like that
or should i try and get my money back or what..this sucks
$500 is a fair price to paint and install a bumper. But if he is good and looked at the bumper and said "hey this looks like s**t" then he should have fixed it or at least called you and said "it will take me and an extra two hours to fix the color, are you ok paying a little more?" What you do next is up to you, I would cal or stop by and ask they guy "can you make this better?" tell him to tell you the truth. A lot of painters could not get that color right so if he is one of them then let you know so you can find one that will.

Originally Posted by BEARS2363
and what exactly did you mean by ground the car to the wall, the bumper will be off the car wen he paints it..so do u mean like ground the car to a wall then take off the bumper or what?
Ok if he is blending the the quarters then he should ground the car. Try this, stand in front of your car and hold a air hose to it (with air comming out) and after a minute touch the car....ZAP you just got shock because of the static build up. Now that wont happen on a bumper so there for even if he blended and did not ground the car then the color would look different any ways. Lets he al ready knows what im saying....... if not then go some were else.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:52 PM
i see..i wish you would paint my bumper haha
and i think he finished putting the car together at night so the color difference must have been less noticable..because there is no way you could give someone there car back looking like that...it just looks stupid to be honest
im going to take it to him tomorrow and see if he can try and make it better...hopefully he can or i hope i can get my money back
if he tries to do it better im going to hang around while he paints in and help him clean it with that static remover so that it looks closer..anything else you would recommend to do to get it to match closer..(now that i look at it more..the color is actually pretty close it is just the metallic that does not match and now i know that is from the static thanks to you my good friend hah) well just let me kno if theres anything else you would recommend besides the static remover
thanks a ton man

Old 06-07-2009, 04:34 PM
i cant really tell the difference but i do have the same color of car and i have some parts that are kinda different, and im thinking of repainting the whole car so that wont happen... and yes if you took the car where they charged you like 200-500 bills then they did a ****ty job... but good luck on what you do next..

Old 06-07-2009, 06:06 PM
yea some angles look okay and some dont..i wish i could get a new paint job but ill just wait till i can get a new car..paint jobs are expensiveeeee

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: to repaint or not to repaint..please help