The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

first time at the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya, im getting rid of my stock tires and switching to bridgestone potenza tires. my elavation is about 700ft. what about weight if i take out my spare and other crap that I have in there will that make a difference.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by danielrhine
ya, im getting rid of my stock tires and switching to bridgestone potenza tires. my elavation is about 700ft. what about weight if i take out my spare and other crap that I have in there will that make a difference.
I wouldnt get rid of the nankangs at all, i would just get another set of some beater wheels you can throw some drag radials (or street slicks as their also called) on. Nankang is fine for DD, just not a track tire at all, lol.

Taking out your spare will help, but keep this in mind, for every 100lbs of weight removed that equates to about 6-10hp picked up. So, if you're going to start removing stuff, remove as much as possible to get the most gains. I know the passenger seat is pretty heavy as well as your rear seats. So, those plus your spare should pick up some ponies for ya.

But, again... all that is pointless if you cant hook up. You really should get those radials to see some serious results. ****, i bet you could get a good 1.9 60' outta those radials if you heat them up enough and launch correctly.

Remember to do your burnout in second, lol, not 1st. Hold your rev at about 6k (maybe even 7, i dont know, ive never done a burn out in mine), dump the clutch and let it burn until it hooks. Move her forward just enough to activate your staging lights. Throw her in 1st, hold your revs about about 6 (7) again, as soon as you see green, dump that clutch and let her fly. (this is with DRs, not on stock tires, DONT do this on stock tires; all you'll be doing is wasting rubber on tires that wont hook anyway)

Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 PM
G15
Originally Posted by brandon402
I wouldnt get rid of the nankangs at all, i would just get another set of some beater wheels you can throw some drag radials (or street slicks as their also called) on. Nankang is fine for DD, just not a track tire at all, lol.

Taking out your spare will help, but keep this in mind, for every 100lbs of weight removed that equates to about 6-10hp picked up. So, if you're going to start removing stuff, remove as much as possible to get the most gains. I know the passenger seat is pretty heavy as well as your rear seats. So, those plus your spare should pick up some ponies for ya.

But, again... all that is pointless if you cant hook up. You really should get those radials to see some serious results. ****, i bet you could get a good 1.9 60' outta those radials if you heat them up enough and launch correctly.

Remember to do your burnout in second, lol, not 1st. Hold your rev at about 6k (maybe even 7, i dont know, ive never done a burn out in mine), dump the clutch and let it burn until it hooks. Move her forward just enough to activate your staging lights. Throw her in 1st, hold your revs about about 6 (7) again, as soon as you see green, dump that clutch and let her fly.
Ok because I've never drag raced Im asking you, but isnt 6k a little high on the RPMs? Because i havent done it on the G before I dont know how it reacts to launches but it seems like it would get a lot of tire spin launching at thigh high of rpm? set me straight

Old 07-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Ditto on the drag radials, I rolled around on Toyo R888's all last summer on my turbo NX2K, my first gear was actually useful! If those could make those tires hook up then they can definately make your G hook up

Old 07-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by G15
Ok because I've never drag raced Im asking you, but isnt 6k a little high on the RPMs? Because i havent done it on the G before I dont know how it reacts to launches but it seems like it would get a lot of tire spin launching at thigh high of rpm? set me straight
Yes, on normal every day daily driver (dd) tires, yes... you would definitely just be sitting there spinning. However, with properly heated up drag radials (dr) they will hook and you will launch pretty damn hard. With some slicks, you could probably do an even harsher launch, but then you run the risk of snapping axles and dropping drive shafts and such.

I REPEAT, I DO NOT recommend launching that high with dd tires!! That statement was directed towards him getting a set of DRs.

With his dailys... you really have to feather the gas to stay high enough in the rpms to get a decent launch but not spin. That'll take practice.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:44 PM
ya i launched at 3.5k and worked out pretty good. When I launched over 4k i spun a little.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by brandon402
Also remember, torque wins races, hp sells cars.
Isn't HP more important than torque? because HP=torque X rev?

So like F1 engine(the 2006 2.4 litre Toyota RVX-06 V8 engine produces 552 kW (740 bhp, 751 PS) at 19,000 rpm and outputs 274 N·m (202 ft·lbf) of torque) has similar torque number compare to VQ but much higher HP and much faster.