The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What a scary feeling!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work at Toyota. And eveyones been talking about this since we got an email about it happening. I thought this was already done and gone.

It has nothing to do with the fly by wire.

The all weather mats are supposed to be cliped in. If not they do slide forward. Step into anyones car that doesnt have them cliped in and there under the gas and break pedel. This is also the Problem when customers come in with the "my car feels like its not accelerating as well as it use to" which end up being a carpet floormat bunched up under the accelerator so that you cant push it down all the way to get full power.

And working at toyota in Service ive seen this before people stacking all weather mats on top of carpet ones, which would mean if you do that it would be impossible to properly clip them in. The all weather mats are groved and if there not cliped in all the way and they slide forward, when you push the gas down it can become stuck.

And when people are asking why didnt the cop with the lexus put it in neutral. Well we dont know it was a push start engine. And to turn it off you have to hold the button for 3 seconds... only guess is that he might not have known that.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^ that does NOT explain the "gas pedal moving away from his foot" it's not like these people floored it and it got stuck, they accelerated, and the pedal continued to pull itself towards the floor.. A couple of the complaints, the cars DID NOT have floor mats installed, so how can you explain that?

Old 09-24-2009, 02:13 PM
alot of "info" on the interenet is crap anyways. i dont see how thats possible when its an electronic sensor. No motor.. to make it move.. so i dont see how thats even possible.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by BloodlineG
alot of "info" on the interenet is crap anyways. i dont see how thats possible when its an electronic sensor. No motor.. to make it move.. so i dont see how thats even possible.
Electric sensor is screwed up?

Cruise control logic programming error?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:20 PM
doesnt matter if the sensor was screwed up. it still wouldnt cause the gas pedal to move forward by itself. same thing with cruise control. before drive by wire that would be more possible. but not with the drive by wire.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
There is a motor in the throttle body which recieves input from throttle. That could have been the problem....but unlikely. I'm leaning on the side the floor mat got caught up under the brake and locked the throttle in place. My guess it was one of those "hey, watch this" moments where he mashed the gas to show off to his friends, the mat slipped over the throttle a bit and locked it in place and the mat crept up underneath the brake pedal reducing emergency braking ability.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
There is a motor in the throttle body which recieves input from throttle. That could have been the problem....but unlikely. I'm leaning on the side the floor mat got caught up under the brake and locked the throttle in place. My guess it was one of those "hey, watch this" moments where he mashed the gas to show off to his friends, the mat slipped over the throttle a bit and locked it in place and the mat crept up underneath the brake pedal reducing emergency braking ability.
why would he do that?? he is a cop and he had his family in the car...but if your guess is right that would be fuked up

Old 09-25-2009, 02:12 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
A cop.... can't work under pressure, come on man that's weak. I'm a future cop and find this kind of odd.

Before I finished reading what was said I knew right away, Neutral, turn the key off.

I had the throttle get mashed open by a walnut(long story) and couldn't stop... I didn't panic and phone 911!

Old 09-25-2009, 05:26 AM
Old 09-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Final destination, or maybe some1 he ticketed put a Vodoo on him

Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Wow. I thought the same. Neutral then off

Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this has actually happened to me in my G also. A couple of NGC members were also with me. fortunately my car got stuck ona parking berm and i dint hurt anyone. Ended out safe. But, the same thing happened. car kept accelerating and i had to throw into neutral to stop.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:58 PM
One problem was that the car was a loaner. It had a push button start that apparently has to be held for 3 seconds to shut off the motor. But I don't understand why he didn't throw the gear lever into nuetral.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
So since I am home now, I wanted to hear the 911 call, but the link does not work :P

edit: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=791233 found it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What a scary feeling!!