The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Stage 3 Clutch too much?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2009 | 01:23 PM
|
Stage 3 Clutch too much?

I came across a pretty good deal on a Stage 3 Spec clutch through a friend. I currently have the JWT clutch and flywheel setup (that I am replacing since the clutch is slipping) and was wondering how they compare and also, if a stage 3 clutch is just too much for daily use? I don't have anything crazy done to my car otherwise (intake, plenum spacer)...

Comparatively, would a Exedy OEM clutch be boring compared to the JWT, even with the lightened flywheel?

Thanks for any advice.

Brandon

Old 10-28-2009 | 02:07 PM
I don't know the answer to your question (sorry), but I have to ask what you are doing that you've gone through at least 2 clutches on the car? I thought the JWT was supposed to be more tough than stock.

Do you use this as a daily driver or are you tracking this and launching the car at every opportunity?

Old 10-28-2009 | 02:34 PM
|
The stock clutch, which I replaced a while ago with the jwt, was completely my fault - a regretful drunken night when the gators won the champioship in 2007 and I was being a bit dumb burning out from every red light, doing donuts, etc. It gave out that night, understandably In hindsight I'd never do it again. On the JWT, I done stupid sh*t maybe twice (literally a couple donuts) and took it to the track once. It is a daily driver and I'm on the highway a ton, however I believe the problem to be my driving overall (not the JWT)...I taught myself how to drive stick a long time ago but realize this clutch should've lasted longer. I've recently begun reading about driving manuals over again because clearly something isn't right. I think what I doing wrong is letting the clutch out too slowly when shifting, which is smooth when driving but probably frying the clutch. I don't launch every green light or anything so yeah...

That's one of the reasons I was looking at higher grade clutches to begin with, hoping that in combination with a changed driving style I wouldn't have to go through this again.

Old 10-28-2009 | 04:03 PM
Well, it sounds like you are doing something very wrong with your daily driving habits. I'm no saint but a clutch lasting 2 years is nothing... even if you did a lot of driving, we'll say 15k a year, then it only lasted you 30k. I have heard of the JWTs lasting longer than stock (and a fair amount of people with stock make it to 100K).

If you're just doing daily driving, then it seems like another JWT might be the best thing. Especially if you're used to the noise. Stage 3 seems to be meant for people who are tracking often or are using forced induction. I guess if your clutch is only lasting you 30k miles then it might be a good idea.

But I would definitely re-assess how you're driving the clutch. When you downshift, are you rev matching, or are you letting the clutch take the beating and just letting it out?

Old 10-30-2009 | 01:34 PM
|
I mean honestly I rev match and everything so I don't know for sure. My original clutch lasted to 100k. I'm just now about to hit 130k miles

Old 11-03-2009 | 01:15 PM
I have an '06 coupe with only 50k, been driving it for about 3 months and the stock clutch is already going out...I was going to replace it with another stock clutch, but after reading about them they all seem like junk. Any suggestions of what I should do???