The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Question for vented hood guys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
My main worry is the fact I don't have a garage, but the car doesn't see winter so no snow!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by pfarmer
It would, I would go with trays under the vents with drains. Have the vents face rearward. The only time you would worry about the water to any great degree would be when stopped or if you got some snow on them. Either way the trays would take car of this. Just keep the drains open. Another option is to do a hood that vents like cowl induction hoods do for intakes.
that would do the trick. or better yet, one could install a series of vents beneath the vents that would use vacuum from the plenum to suck in drops of water before it could fall into the engine?

i don't mean to be an @ss, but i really think you guys are overthinking this. its a vented hood. put the rain guards on when it rains. take the rain guards off when its dry out.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by bigc
that would do the trick. or better yet, one could install a series of vents beneath the vents that would use vacuum from the plenum to suck in drops of water before it could fall into the engine?

i don't mean to be an @ss, but i really think you guys are overthinking this. its a vented hood. put the rain guards on when it rains. take the rain guards off when its dry out.
that's stupid!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigc

Vented hoods in rainy Washington have been in use for years. The trays are easy and work. Consider you already have such a system on your 'G' at the moment, only not for engine air. A properly designed vent system should not induce water while under way. I personally would go to a cowl induction concept and just use what you currently have in place for the drain system. That system could also be utilized for a vented hood as well.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I wash mine just like it wasn't vented. I don't really care about it and I wash the engine bay too with water, just cover the intake. Water will drip into the engine bay and I simply wipe it with detail spray when I'm done with the rest of the car. Works fine.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
That's all I really wanted to know. I've clean many engine bays but never known how the engine would react while hot and not having anything covered up. For security I will be putting some sort of shield onto my intake and putting a hydro lock on.

Now just have to work out the deal with the Carbon company. I'm really hoping to convince them to make me fenders as well

Thanks for the help guys.