The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

is rolling your own fenders a good idea?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by blues
diy is your best bet,if you messed it up atleast you did it..I won't pay somebody to crack my paint or do a ****ty roll, I'll do it myself.you will also learn yourself along the way so next time you'll know how to do it..you'll save some money as well.
This is funny, he cracked his paint and bent a fender. What exactly did he learn, "How not to do it." Did he save any $, not exactly when you consider the auto repair bill. Are the fenders rolled, well no but I learned that I should have had someone with the knowledge/roller do it.
Gary

Old 03-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Go rent a Hyundai from Budget and get the extra full-insurance coverage. Practice on that car.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I borrow an Eastwood and did my own. Turned out great. Completly Flat. but I will admit there is a tad bit of wavyness cus I went a little overboard on flaring on the side I rubbed the most.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on how much of a roll you need. I just need a very minimal roll so my rear tires would not rub. Used a hair dryer, bat, and some touch up paint just-in-case, and was able to roll the rear fenders in about an hour. I sanded and touched up the drivers side a little, due to some minimal paint chipping (I must not have heated it enough), but it's all good now. The chipping and touch up was on the inside of the wheel well, so out-of-sight. No chipping on the passenger side.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
what's the big deal of cracking paint? It cracks on the inside where you can't see it anyways

I can understand about rust protection, but I would just mask out the car and put a clear coat or spray paint it.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
This is funny, he cracked his paint and bent a fender. What exactly did he learn, "How not to do it." Did he save any $, not exactly when you consider the auto repair bill. Are the fenders rolled, well no but I learned that I should have had someone with the knowledge/roller do it.
Gary
when I first rolled my fender I had no experince none,I looked at diy video and bought a eastwood fender roller and a heat gun for about total $300.my first fender I rolled came out nice no cracks or chip paints..I did a nice job, I took my time..and on the other fender I did it a little faster I cracked the paint just a little bit where it does'nt bother me..and all I did this myself.I then turned around and rented out my fender roller for the summer.after the summer I made more than my purchase price of the fender roller and heat gun.after everything I got my fender roller and my rental paid for the fender roll plus I came out on top because I sold the fender roller for profitI did'nt trust anyone rolling my fenders so I did it myself and at the end came out on top plus I can roll fenders nowDOMO..it's been two years and I know how to roll alot better than when I first started..gotta learn somethime why not now..

Last edited by blues; 03-09-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
i used a wooden hammer with a sock over it and hair dryer. came out great. i did this on a altima tho

Old 03-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idk about learning how to roll fenders on a G though... i think the car is too precious to learn... maybe ask to roll on a friends civic first? lol

Old 03-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I did it ghetto style cuz I couldn't find anyone local that could do it and it came out okay. Just gotta have a lot of patience, lol. I still wouldn't mind finding someone to roll it smooooth though

Old 03-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Ive been searching locally for someone to do mine but no one wants to do it. The common route bodyshops tell me is to grind the lip off and weld the 2 pieces of skin back together and then seal them... $300... F that noise. Im doing mine myself at work tomorrow, we have tons of plastic round stock of various diameters so I can gradually step up to get the lip to bend more and more. Did one of my old cars and it turned out perfect. Take your time and dont bend all at once.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:50 PM
I was looking for a local place to do it here to0, but called up a few and no luck. Hence the DIY, and I'm satisfied with the results.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:04 PM
i couldnt find any shops able to do it here in Las Vegas at a reasonable price.. Most shops said they wouldnt do it since theirs that risk of chipped or cracked fenders and they dont want to be liable for it..

soo i came to the conclusion that im guna roll my own fenders or atleast give it a try

Old 03-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of mixed opinions on how to get the fenders done...either way if you're going to run some aggressive offsets the stupid lip needs to get out of the way somehow

all the shops around MA I've been to have said the same thing: to shave them and reseal..anybody cut/shave their rears completely as opposed to rolling? How'd it turn out?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by kvangil
Depends on how much of a roll you need. I just need a very minimal roll so my rear tires would not rub. Used a hair dryer, bat, and some touch up paint just-in-case, and was able to roll the rear fenders in about an hour. I sanded and touched up the drivers side a little, due to some minimal paint chipping (I must not have heated it enough), but it's all good now. The chipping and touch up was on the inside of the wheel well, so out-of-sight. No chipping on the passenger side.
Same experience here, and I definitely heated the driver's side as much as the passenger side...used a heat gun for both and heated it more than you could with a hair dryer so I'm not sure why the one side cracked. Must have been a little too aggressive with it. I will probably sand and touch up the inside just to prevent rust.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Take it to someone please, why risk messing up a nice car. Crazy how people treat their cars on this forum, I thought we were enthusiast?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is rolling your own fenders a good idea?