The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Is the g35 a reliable car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Now I get 20-21 mpg highway with 93 octane with my g.
Seems kinda low, don't you think? I don't put as many highway miles on my AWD as you do, but on the 3 or 4 longer trips I've taken I've always gotten much closer to 24 mpg. And I'm no lightfoot, 75-80 is pretty normal. I'm sure you keep the car running properly, but something seems wrong if it's that low.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Is it a reliable car? Yes, as long as you take care of it really well it will run for a very long time.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Seems kinda low, don't you think? I don't put as many highway miles on my AWD as you do, but on the 3 or 4 longer trips I've taken I've always gotten much closer to 24 mpg. And I'm no lightfoot, 75-80 is pretty normal. I'm sure you keep the car running properly, but something seems wrong if it's that low.
3 mpg could be anything. Driving style, gas, amount of weight I keep in the car. I will admit, I am not a light foot driver. I don't really try to get good fuel economy but now that you say you get 24 ish I am gonna take it easy this week and see if I can better my numbers

Old 05-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i AGREE

Old 05-16-2010, 03:45 PM
I think 20-21 mpg is low for highway. Is your airfilter clean? On a trip from florida to NY last year I averaged 26-28mpg on some tanks and that was averaging 70-80mph

Old 05-16-2010, 03:57 PM
I am awd....heavy and lots of drivetrain loss. Gonna change the air filter next week as part of my spring maintainence. Gonna clean the maf and all that fun stuff and see if I can bump it a few mpg with a lighter foot.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by COMMANDOE
I think 20-21 mpg is low for highway. Is your airfilter clean? On a trip from florida to NY last year I averaged 26-28mpg on some tanks and that was averaging 70-80mph
cruise control?

Old 05-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
on 90k with regular maintenance and i drive it spirited. Hasn't failed me yet.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM
g's are if they are clean and well taken care.
just like Honda's and Toyota's

Old 05-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Shane read this, great article from Automobile on its 12 used allstars. G35 is here ofcourse.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...initi_g35.html

Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Shane read this, great article from Automobile on its 12 used allstars. G35 is here ofcourse.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...initi_g35.html
Wow I haven't read PR fluff like that in ages.

To the OP, this car is decently reliable but nowhere on par with Toyota and Honda. Small things break often (sometimes leaving you on the side of the road in my case when a camshaft position sensor spontaneously broke), there are creaks and rattles, the build quality in general is several notches below what comparable luxury brands were making back in 2003-2005, the manual transmission is rough and clanky, and there is a huge issue with potential oil consumption that would make me very wary of buying a rev-up G35 (05-07 6MT's) for anybody wanting to keep the car long term.

That being said, I am on my 3rd G35 coupe because I love the way the car looks. It's pretty much the main selling point for this car, the looks are truly timeless. Even 7 years after it's release and 3 years out of production, it's still a great looking car. The stock exhaust note is also awesome, the car has a good amount of pep, and with some tasteful aftermarket modifications the car catches looks everywhere it goes. I certainly don't feel like I'm driving a car designed 7+ years ago when I go out in it.

Sorry this post got really long winded. Anyways I hope this gave some insight with your purchase decision.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:14 PM
PR fluff?

Well though a HUGE toyota fan (owned atleast 10) I am going to have to overstep you here and defend the G35. As I stated above I consider CR the bible for reliability checking of cars. I believe your experience problems are anomalys.

For the record. ( I have consumer reports buying guide in front of me) The infiniti G35 03-08 rates from better than average to MUCH better than average reliability rating in nearly every category. (Much better than average rating with manual transmission) The only areas noted worse than average are brakes and the audio system. Thought the oil consumption thing is documented by a fair number of people on here for the rev-up engine I have never had issue nor no anyone personally that has. Do you honestly know anyone else that had a camshaft position sensor spontaneously brake. Is this common?

Reliability nowhere on par with Toyota and Honda??? Look this up. This is a VERY reliable car. Don't take it from me, buy the buying guide from CR. Its a hell of a resource. They have input from 1000's of owners and repair facilities alike, surely much larger census than those on this forum. I wouldn't buy anything they DON"T recommend.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
PR fluff?

Well though a HUGE toyota fan (owned atleast 10) I am going to have to overstep you here and defend the G35. As I stated above I consider CR the bible for reliability checking of cars. I believe your experience problems are anomalys.

You're free to form your opinion based on any source you like. I'm speaking from personal experience owning 3 of these cars, working on them extensively, and visiting these boards probably more than I should and looking at issues other people are running into frequently.

Just trying to give the OP another perspective. I love my car, and I love the G35 in general. But I can be objective and recognize it's deficiencies as well. Also I'm certainly not saying he will run into all the problems I noted. There are definitely things to look out for when buying this car, it can't hurt to let a potential buyer know about these issues whether a buying guide declares them common or not.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:50 PM
What do you guys ultimately consider reliable? Starting up every day? Driving into work with no issues?

What about minor repairs?

My g 35 has been reliable...but it's had it's fair share of common g35 issues.

-both comp rods replaced
-driver airbag replaced under warranty when light came on one day randomly.
- pass seat bottom replaced due to faulty pass airbag seat sensor ( although this may be part of the new recall now)
- driver seat track replaced
-rear axle click.
- center console yellowing

All this was done under warraty, but now my third brake light is failing intermittently. This is a common sedan issue from searched on here.

However, I consider my car reliable because it starts up first turn and I drive 50 miles per day to work alone plus my additional miles at night.

Not trying to dissude the op...but just telling my actual experience.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by tragedycat
Wow I haven't read PR fluff like that in ages.

To the OP, this car is decently reliable but nowhere on par with Toyota and Honda. Small things break often (sometimes leaving you on the side of the road in my case when a camshaft position sensor spontaneously broke), there are creaks and rattles, the build quality in general is several notches below what comparable luxury brands were making back in 2003-2005, the manual transmission is rough and clanky, and there is a huge issue with potential oil consumption that would make me very wary of buying a rev-up G35 (05-07 6MT's) for anybody wanting to keep the car long term.

That being said, I am on my 3rd G35 coupe because I love the way the car looks. It's pretty much the main selling point for this car, the looks are truly timeless. Even 7 years after it's release and 3 years out of production, it's still a great looking car. The stock exhaust note is also awesome, the car has a good amount of pep, and with some tasteful aftermarket modifications the car catches looks everywhere it goes. I certainly don't feel like I'm driving a car designed 7+ years ago when I go out in it.

Sorry this post got really long winded. Anyways I hope this gave some insight with your purchase decision.
very well said. the G doesn't look dated at all compared to most cars from 03. I feel like i'm driving a new car everytime i see it. It looks newer than alot of cars made 06 and up. people are so dumb to buy a Civic new for 20K when they could buy a G with decent miles for $5K cheaper

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the g35 a reliable car?