The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

who drives with the vdc off daily and did you have any problems by doing so?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by usafdarkhorse
VDC isn't just traction control, but also corner application of brakes in order to maintain stability and forward tracking. You can get into a situation on the street very quickly where countersteer and throttle will not help. On a track, you've got miles of pavement to save yourself. On the street, you may have 12'.
Yes, I know. It kept me on the road several times before I got used to the way the car handled, but really don't need it anymore. If the roads are drenched however then I'll keep it on, mainly because it never rains out here and I don't have much experience driving on a wet surface.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
I love how these VDC posts alwasy turn into a pro VDC vs anti VDC. If youre a dumbsh;t who just started driving or have never driven a RWD car before you should prob keep it on for a while. Otherwise turning it off isnt going to kill a gaggle of school children like everyone thinks.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Old 08-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G2FLIP4
I love how these VDC posts alwasy turn into a pro VDC vs anti VDC. If youre a dumbsh;t who just started driving or have never driven a RWD car before you should prob keep it on for a while. Otherwise turning it off isnt going to kill a gaggle of school children like everyone thinks.
There's no reason to do so on the street. Seriously.

Track? Knock yourself out. It'll make you a decent driver.

Street? Just leave it on.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
^ yep.
I read between the lines of the OP where he says, "Been driving my g35 for about 2 weeks now and I anxious to turn my vdc off and see what she's made of, but before I do so I was wondering who drives with it off daily and will it eventually harm your car."
There is no mention of going to the track so I assume he's going to 'see what she's made of' on the streets somewhere.
There have been a couple of, not so wise, suggestions here, IMO

Old 08-12-2010, 10:54 AM
everything
Originally Posted by usafdarkhorse
There's no reason to do so on the street. Seriously.

Track? Knock yourself out. It'll make you a decent driver.

Street? Just leave it on.
Thanks mom.....

I (and a lot people on here) didnt buy a 300 hp RWD luxury sport not to have a little fun in it.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Then get your jollies at a track with the VDC off instead of the street. Other people may not want to participate in your fun lol.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove my 430 RWHP / 508 ft lbs torque Ford Lightning without any factory traction control. Pretty sure I can handle this little 280 hp car.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:44 AM
everything
Originally Posted by scrapiron7
I drove my 430 RWHP / 508 ft lbs torque Ford Lightning without any factory traction control. Pretty sure I can handle this little 280 hp car.
Exactly.. Ive had RWD/4WD trucks and SUVs. Some people just arent smart enuf to handle a lot of power to a RWD vehicle. Never had VDC or any kind of throttle limiter on any other vehicle... Im still alive and never had any close calls. Common sense and knowing your vehicles limitations is what it boils down to

And the comment about the X never engaging the VDC... ya think? Its a little different when the coupes dont have AWD

Last edited by G2FLIP4; 08-12-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 AM
You're missing the point. Skill has nothing to do with it ( I have no idea how experience in trucks and SUVs helps your cause either ).

The car is faster than you. If you happen to enter a compromising situation on the street, which normally does not occur on the track ( IE: sudden standing water, gravel, sudden traffic, absolutely poor road conditions which are common here in TX, or any number of problems ) you may not have enough room to save yourself from an accident, regardless of skill level.

TCS is a throttle limiter, and many of those actually are quite annoying. But VDC will most likely save you in a bad situation.

The G35 is a pig of a car anyway, so there's no real point. It can barely get out of its own way.

OP, I still recommend leaving the VDC on, at least on the street.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Off topic but is there a way to reverse the switch so vdc stays off?

I hate having to get in n reach down everyone thinks im cutting on the nitrous when they ride with me.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by G2FLIP4
Exactly.. Ive had RWD/4WD trucks and SUVs. Some people just arent smart enuf to handle a lot of power to a RWD vehicle. Never had VDC or any kind of throttle limiter on any other vehicle... Im still alive and never had any close calls. Common sense and knowing your vehicles limitations is what it boils down to

And the comment about the X never engaging the VDC... ya think? Its a little different when the coupes dont have AWD
Believe me when I say if I wanted the VDC to engage I could easily make it happen. There is no reason for it. How do you know what G the OP has? Coupe, Sedan, X...he never said.
I have also driven plenty of rear wheel drive cars in my 30 years driving.
None of what you guys are saying actually supports a reason to tell the OP its fine/safe/ok (or whatever) for him to turn it off. You maybe confident in your driving skills but the mere fact that he even had to ask should be a clue as to his level of confidence.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by FrozenInferno
Off topic but is there a way to reverse the switch so vdc stays off?

I hate having to get in n reach down everyone thinks im cutting on the nitrous when they ride with me.
Yes, I believe there is a module made by kpelectronics...try a search for them

Old 08-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Yes, I believe there is a module made by kpelectronics...try a search for them
awesome might have to buy this

Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 PM
everything
Originally Posted by FrozenInferno
awesome might have to buy this
NO!!!! Dont do it... You'll kill yourself or a bus full of 3rd graders if its always disabled!!!!! Only at the track if there's no other cars on the track and no spectators in the stands!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: who drives with the vdc off daily and did you have any problems by doing so?