The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

who drives with the vdc off daily and did you have any problems by doing so?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
*shrug* maybe its more/less sensitive across the different years.

From my my experience (05) I feel it kick in fairly often when I swoop through sharp turns, and that jolt is a bit annoying. Recently I decided to drive with it off here and there, and it makes driving through the curves more fun.

Its not sliding all-over or anything crazy like half the people seem to be fearing, the rear end is just stepping out ever so slightly, allowing for the car to softly follow through the turn.

That being said I'd never turn it off during foul weather, some of my freeway meter light starts in standing puddles have been scary enough, and thank god there was VDC for those situations.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by junon
*shrug* maybe its more/less sensitive across the different years.

From my my experience (05) I feel it kick in fairly often when I swoop through sharp turns, and that jolt is a bit annoying. Recently I decided to drive with it off here and there, and it makes driving through the curves more fun.

Its not sliding all-over or anything crazy like half the people seem to be fearing, the rear end is just stepping out ever so slightly, allowing for the car to softly follow through the turn.

That being said I'd never turn it off during foul weather, some of my freeway meter light starts in standing puddles have been scary enough, and thank god there was VDC for those situations.

IM WITH YOU BRO.

My car SUCKS Azz on kicking in.

I think vdc in dry weather is NOT safe at least for my car based on my experiences.

I have had a few close calls because of vdc, I was getting on to Lawrence expressway and some guy from the middle lane decides to pass in my merging lane after i stepped out, not anticipating i had to down shift really fast and not smooth, I didnt shift perfectly the vdc thought my car was slipping and cut down more power. Lucky for me the guy in the truck ended up riding in the side and scraped the brick wall instead of ramming in to me.

another time i was driving straight and some guy decides to cut me off and slam on his brakes so he can make his turn. I needed to go in the next lane to avoid him and there was also someone else merging on, if I had tried to stop I would have been hit, so my only choice was to accelerate away from the second car, since i was turning and vdc just so happens to kick on again it cut my power. I thought we hit so we pulled over but luckily we didnt. I was able to pull away from the guy and just miss him by an inch.

So in my cases VDC actually almost put me in dangers way, preventing me from getting out safely.

My vdc is stupid soft. When I had a bad ankle and tried to drive on it, I wasn't shifting smooth and in between shifts the slip light would come on.

To make things worst this is when my car was stock runing re-01's.

Now my cars got a little extra power and its even worsts. even if I WOT in second gear stright line vdc kicks on.

Only time I use vdc is in the rain, when I dont know the consistency and traction of each and every wet pavement.

My dads 03 auto vdc doesnt kick on even half as often as mine.

Does any one know if the older models are less sensestive to vdc, or of its the autos?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Believe it or not, it wasn't too long ago when rwd cars didn't come with such features like traction control and abs. So plenty of people manage fine without such aids.

However, if you have had your lisence 2 weeks or tend to crash a lot...I might leave them on.

I have an x and drive like a grandma...so I have no need to turn vdc off, however I had rwd cars in the past and found that it could be dangerous when trying to merge and having a tire spin and traction control pretty much kill all power. So I do understand there are times when it needs to come off. But there were also other times I would be going to the store and just leave it on because I wasn't planning on getting the car sideways to go get some milk.

As for abs...I prefer it. I have auto crossed both abs and non abs cars and it was definitely easier with the abs cars. Of course, it depends on the vehicle as some cars have better abs systems than others.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I ALWAYS turn VDC off as soon as I get in the vehicle. It is WAY to sensitive on the street.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here the vdc is always off, but when its raining, rarely in Southern California. I turn it back on, just in case.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:57 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
I leave it on in most DD circumstances; I don't plan on drifting around corners or burning rubber off a green light when I'm first in line. When I do feel a little.. *giggity* with my car, sure, I'll turn it off. Too many things in the road can throw the car off and into a retaining wall or guard rail, especially with all the goddamn construction going on where I live. No amount of skill can save you from hitting a wall you're 3 inches away from in the first place if a bump or dip around the curve knocks your car loose.

Last edited by dEnbOy.GFM; 08-18-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by marcinr
I've had my 2003 G35 at the track, and I was shocked how unintrusive the VDC system is. It lets you get sideways just fine, it lets you power of of turns and brakes the inside wheel so it doesn't spin, and it doesn't get in the way like it does on the street, so I started experimenting with the different behavior, and it turns out that the VDC rewards smoothness. You can go as quick with it as without it, but if the car ever does something unexpected, the VDC steps in, which is great. Leave it on, when driving on the street you can get tired and complacent and it will save your butt when you least expect it. You can still do a lot of hooning with it enabled, and it's fun to see just how much you can do without engaging it. Sliding through a turn, for instance, is totally possible as long as the slide is a smooth one, and not a "snap" into a slide.
Soooo true. Even with 415whp and twin turbos I leave it on 95% of the time and have no prob sliding through turns and doing WOT on the straights. It only becomes a 'real' problem when your front/rear tire wear gets too uneven. It's pissed me off a few times after getting new rears but leaving half worn fronts on.

I only shut it off when drag racing (throttle cut + TT = FAIL lol).

Old 08-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive a 6mt. In dry conditions, I normally drive with VDC off. I found VDC to be too intrusive at times--it rarely kicked in when I'm driving, but when it did, it did so at the worst time. I hated it most when VDC would kick in on a left turn. I'm waiting to make a left turn; oncoming traffic is coming at 45-50 mph. There's ample room for me to make my turn, so I take it. If I get any wheelspin on the left turn (not intentionally, just happens occasionally with a 6mt when you give a little too much gas), VDC kicks in and cuts power, slowing me down and leaving me in the path of the oncoming cars.... Without VDC, I might spin the wheels a little on the turn, but I pull through it quickly and fine.

Rainy days, wet roads, winter--I leave it on.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I initially hated the thought of it - plus it would **** me off if I wanted to lay some scratch and I forgot to turn it off. Then one day I was hot-dog'n it through a canyon, hit some loose gravel in a turn and it saved my ***.

So now it stays on and I have a new found appreciation for it (except for when I want to do a burn out )

Old 08-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by kvangil
I drive a 6mt. In dry conditions, I normally drive with VDC off. I found VDC to be too intrusive at times--it rarely kicked in when I'm driving, but when it did, it did so at the worst time. I hated it most when VDC would kick in on a left turn. I'm waiting to make a left turn; oncoming traffic is coming at 45-50 mph. There's ample room for me to make my turn, so I take it. If I get any wheelspin on the left turn (not intentionally, just happens occasionally with a 6mt when you give a little too much gas), VDC kicks in and cuts power, slowing me down and leaving me in the path of the oncoming cars.... Without VDC, I might spin the wheels a little on the turn, but I pull through it quickly and fine.

Rainy days, wet roads, winter--I leave it on.
True True... it would be nice if there was a 'half off' mode where it allowed more rear wheelspin. I'm able to spin a little before it kicks in but would be nice to allow a little more.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
^ Not to criticize your driving...you just made me think of something.
We have all rushed to make a left turn like that on more than one occasion. The truth is if we actually had enough time to make that left turn safely we wouldn't feel the need to give it a little extra throttle just to be sure we make it before getting plowed by an oncoming vehicle.
I wonder if we asked a cop how often he has heard the words "but I thought I had enough time to make the turn", what the answer would be.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
^ Not to criticize your driving...you just made me think of something.
We have all rushed to make a left turn like that on more than one occasion. The truth is if we actually had enough time to make that left turn safely we wouldn't feel the need to give it a little extra throttle just to be sure we make it before getting plowed by an oncoming vehicle.
I wonder if we asked a cop how often he has heard the words "but I thought I had enough time to make the turn", what the answer would be.
I understand your point, but that's not always the case. I'm not trying to get t-boned on a left turn, and i hate the drivers who pull a left turn in front of you when there is no room to spare. There is PLENTY of time to take the turn when I pull them. Sometimes, very rarely though, with a 6mt, you might nudge a little too much on the gas before you release off the clutch, resulting in unintended wheelspin. VDC catches it and cuts power immediately, leaving you for a split-second lagging in the intersection as oncoming traffic is coming at 50mph towards you....Not a good feeling.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They should have just renamed the VDC button to sport mode LOL

Old 08-19-2010, 05:34 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
the newer v6 is even less sensitive, I think you may actually be able to lose control with the vdc on with it. that being said its really a helper not a crutch like our cars...

and btw am I the only one that had to drift to avoid crashing?

Im not proud of it, but I was running late and pulled a last minute left turn( light was still yellow while I was in the intersection, I dont run reds, but came in way to fast. I hit a little bit of gravel right before I started to turn and under steered like a ****.
If I didnt clutch kick I dont think I would have made it thought the turn.. and went stright in to the wall since it was a T intersection.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Reading all of these posts makes me want to actually turn it off and see what kind of difference it would make. To my knowledge, though, in the year I have been driving my G, I don't think I have ever encountered a situation where it cut engine power on me in a turn. Sure, slip came on on a rainy (more like monsoon-y) day. Maybe my concept of taking a turn aggressively is tame by comparison. IDK.

I'll suppress the urge to turn off the VDC. The car is fun enough with it on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: who drives with the vdc off daily and did you have any problems by doing so?