Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wanna do something different and worthwhile? LS7

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...partnumber=LS7

Or this BEAUTY

http://www.rhdjapan.com/tomei-genesi...g-rb284g-55011

Putting in an HR seems like a total waste of money unless you're after the shear fact you'd be the only one crazy enough to do it and want the title of "First one to do it". At what expense and to gain what? A title to the internet? Ha...

Old 10-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, but good luck with the build. Sounds awesome.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:01 AM
the reason i would do it is that i could build it with forged internals, etc. so it can handle a good amount of boost and still drive my car until the other motor is ready and do the swap over a weekend/week w.e. instead of having my car out of commission for a while

still have the question of: will the newer 2008 ecu plug into where my 2006 ecu goes without modification? or am i going to have to rewire the car?

Old 10-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
good luck with this projects, would def be unique and more functional than a coupe front end conversion

Old 10-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See if you can track down a 2006 and 2008 wiring diagram, that will tell you for sure. i doubt many have bothered to conisder the ecus because no one has done the swap.

If you were looking at chnaging the internals while still driving yours, why not pick up a wrecked 2006 and piece it together? Seems like a lot less of a headache.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
HR has ALOTTT more potential then DE motor. if i had a 03 G with **** load of miles, I would think about HR swap.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts

Last edited by NjMatteSedan; 10-18-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:00 AM
^ what?

where can i find the wiring diagrams for 2006 and 2008?

Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If your DE has a fairly low amount of mileage on it, I would suggest reinforcing it and then boosting it. Not even talking about high boost... just a little for fun here and there/everyday driving. Its not for everyone, but just what I would do if I were you. Good luck anyways if you decide to swap!!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
You'll need a HR engine harness, ECU, motor mounts, and probably a lot of other misc parts. If you have the money go for it but I can tell you the harness is not cheap and you will need it.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Because you'll need a new harness it won't just plug in. The motors are basically different motors.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Nissan Sport Mag did it

Call up DaveO there and ask him what a nightmare they went through

ECU/Wiring harness will not match up and you will run into a lot of electrical gremlins. The time/effort is massive on a swap like this.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Bri127mx
the reason i would do it is that i could build it with forged internals, etc. so it can handle a good amount of boost and still drive my car until the other motor is ready and do the swap over a weekend/week w.e. instead of having my car out of commission for a while

still have the question of: will the newer 2008 ecu plug into where my 2006 ecu goes without modification? or am i going to have to rewire the car?
If it were easy and cost effective, it probably would have been done already.

Among other things, it is not easy to go from one MAF to two on the HR. You're looking at a new harness and ECU minimum.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:44 AM
hr swap
I tried myself

[Hey man I did the hr swap myself it’s not that hard put it togetherr,the problem is the harness (dashboard harness) if you figure something or someone that can add a ecu clip yto dashboard harness let me know

QUOTE=Bri127mx;5420399]Recenlty, I bought a low mileage motor out of a 2008 g35 (HR motor). It was a decent price, so I felt I couldn't let it go. I would like to build the motor and swap into my 2006 5AT(DE motor). A few questions:

1. Will the HR motor work with the DE intake manifold? (I.e. the single intake)
2. What will need to be done in order to make the swap work? (I.e. Are all brackets the in same position/ Are all of the harnesses the same?)
3. Do I need to swap the ECU with one out of a 2008 G35? (If so, will it plug right in to my factory system with no problems?)
4. Is the swap worth the effort?

I browsed around using the search, found some information, but I would love it if someone could shed some light on the subject.[/QUOTE]

Old 08-27-2021, 01:06 AM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by Moe031
[Hey man I did the hr swap myself it’s not that hard put it togetherr,the problem is the harness (dashboard harness) if you figure something or someone that can add a ecu clip yto dashboard harness let me know

QUOTE=Bri127mx;5420399]Recenlty, I bought a low mileage motor out of a 2008 g35 (HR motor). It was a decent price, so I felt I couldn't let it go. I would like to build the motor and swap into my 2006 5AT(DE motor). A few questions:

2. What will need to be done in order to make the swap work? (I.e. Are all brackets the in same position/ Are all of the harnesses the same?)
3. Do I need to swap the ECU with one out of a 2008 G35? (If so, will it plug right in to my factory system with no problems?)

I browsed around using the search, found some information, but I would love it if someone could shed some light on the subject.
hey bud, normally you would get roasted for rehashing a dead thread, but since I'm a nice guy and I'm looking to do a VHR swap i'll fill you in on some details that I found:
as far as I am aware this is a big no. You would also stifle the motor greatly and honestly it defeats the purpose of doing an HR swap. One of the major reasons to do the swap is the significant improvement in inlet airflow of the HR intake manifold system.

2. What will be need to be done in order to make the swap work? (I.e. Are all brackets the in same position/ Are all of the harnesses the same?)
your best bet is to first visit the websites of hexa motorsprots and guilty garage, both of whom offer detailed FAQ sections on the various swaps (HR or VHR) :
https://guilty-garage.com/
https://www.hexagarage.com/
If you have further questions come back and ask in this thread. I've exchanged some emails and had some discussions with Hexa already and will be using their wiring services assuming nothing changes with my winter swap project.
There are others that offer wiring services, but in the case of Z Fever for example, they are a bit behind on the best solutions as they utilize a dual ECU setup for the VHR swap.

no, nothing will plug into your existing harness, it will need to be modified. Go to the hexa or guilty garage sites and read through the FAQ sections.

Personally I think yes, it is. The DE engines have a very hard time getting above 300whp, the HR seems to be able to do this without breaking a sweat, the VHR on the other hand takes it one step further and it's now not unheard of for folks to even crack 400whp in naturally aspirated form, which is just insane. Are there easier ways? Sure, you can find a used supercharger for the DE in the classified and crack 400whp easier and possibly cheaper with your existing DE. However it really depends on your goals. In my case it makes sense, since I want to stay NA (maximize reliability for track use) and I want an "easy" engine swap so that I can have the car back up and running for the '22 track season. Considering there are shops offering plug and play wiring services and both the HR and VHR motors bolt up to the existing DE subframe, it really doesn't get easier in terms of engine swaps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DE to HR swap worth it?