G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

DE to HR swap worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 11:03 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The biggest issue with the VHR swap is the different bitrate for it's CANBUS system, the computers can't talk to one another. The HR uses the same bitrate so it can still talk to the BCM/IPDM/SRS/etc computers. I think Guilty Garage just came out with a bitrate converter to get back the tachometer signal but there's still a LOT of stuff that won't function with a VHR swap.

If it's a track car then it won't matter if you don't have things like cruise control and such but for a daily driver I would stick to an HR swap.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:10 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by cleric670
The biggest issue with the VHR swap is the different bitrate for it's CANBUS system, the computers can't talk to one another. The HR uses the same bitrate so it can still talk to the BCM/IPDM/SRS/etc computers. I think Guilty Garage just came out with a bitrate converter to get back the tachometer signal but there's still a LOT of stuff that won't function with a VHR swap.

If it's a track car then it won't matter if you don't have things like cruise control and such but for a daily driver I would stick to an HR swap.
I think you're on point with that; my understanding is that Hexa garage is also using a canbus converter module of some sort (similar to the many version sold by wiring specialties for their various plug and play swaps) to get the VHR ecu to talk to the dash and a few other components (fans are most notable). Based on my discussion with Matt @ hexa this means that the dash will display all relevant information and they can have the A/C also working as well as the fans, but unfortunately there is no available solution for getting cruise control to work. As much as I would like to retain cruise control I can live without it. Hopefully in the future someone will get it to work.

Some other notes from my discussion worth mentioning:
- You need the VQ37VHR complete engine with ALL accessories (a/c compressor, p/s pump, alternator, & starter)
- You need the VQ37VHR flywheel and clutch (not the DE). The flywheels have the timing toner ring for the ECU. The HR/VHR ECU does not understand the timing signal from the DE flywheel. The toner ring is what the ECU uses for timing reference AND for tach signal.
- You need the VQ37VHR or VQ35HR transmission. The DE trans has a complete different bolt pattern and they DO NOT bolt to the HR/VHR engines.
- Your DE driveshaft WILL WORK in the HR/VHR transmissions (although an auto trans driveshaft will not work in a manual trans and vice-versa).
- Mechanically swapping the VQ37VHR into a DE chassis is easy. The engine bolts into the same mounts. Drops right in.
- The HR/VHR starter is on the L-side of the motor whereas the DE starter is on the R-side of the motor.
- The HR/VHR starter will make contact with the steering gear so it is recommended to swap the DE steering rack-and-pinion out for one from an HR/VHR chassis... if you are swapping a VQ37VHR into a 350Z get a steering rack from an 07-08 350Z. If you are swapping into an 03-07 Infiniti G35, get a steering rack from an 08 G35 Sedan. This however does not seem to be 100% true as I've seen someone post somewhere that the original rack works perfectly fine with plenty of space, you just need to switch to a slim rack/steering shaft coupler....I had the link for one of those couplers somewhere already, but can't find it right now. I'll post it if I find it.
- You will need the dual air flow meters from an HR/VHR engine. You can get a twin intake filter kit here on Ebay and I also just saw on the guilty garage instagram page that they now offer intake kits specifically designed for the HR or VHR swaps into DE cars
- The HR/VHR headers will fit but the outlet flanges have a different shape than the VQ35DE engines flanges. You can either install your DE headers onto the VHR engine OR you can get a set of HR/VHR testpipes or cats. Either solution works. Stock VHR headers flow better than stock DE headers.
- Your DE p/s hoses will hook up to the HR/VHR p/s pump
- Some of the HR/VHR a/c compressor hoses have different ends on them than the DE, some do not. Depends on which chassis you get your VHR from. You will just have to figure that one out yourself. If your a/c hoses bolt to the compressor, GREAT! If they don't... you will have to go get some used a/c hoses from a parts car and have a set of hoses made.
- OBVIOUSLY, you will need the drive belts that fit your VHR engine, not the DE!
- You can keep your DE radiator. The VHR radiator will not fit your DE chassis.