The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Help deciding: keep the G or go for BMW 330i ZHP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd keep the G. I'm not really a fan of the 3 series, I'd rather go with a 5 series if I ever get a BMW. Also people I know that have BMW's are always telling me they keep taking it in to the shop for repairs. But to each his own.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Ok i might be bias, but G the is overall more reliable then the BMW. Even thought the BMW performs like no other, the G is still a better car.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
Ok i might be bias, but G the is overall more reliable then the BMW. Even thought the BMW performs like no other, the G is still a better car.
That's not Bias, its the trufff

Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it from someone who's owned both. Find a 330 with as much diligence as you did your G, and take care of it. In actuality, the ownership cost isn't much more than G35, the major repairs only come up if you don't do maintenance.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by HavokGT
Camaro SS.

Case closed.

Still love my G tho
Where did that come from...

Maybe if you want a 2 ton tank with an interior that looks like a 12 year old designed it...

Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 AM
Update

Originally Posted by Uda880
+1

- That being said, comparing the 330CI to the G35c is really more about that special feeling of driving a precision vehicle that surrounds you with all the creature comforts a driver needs. In a almost spiritual/non-descript way, the BMW simply wins you over with a driving nature that is akin to being a physical extension of your very being. The interior is adequate with leather and psychologically pleasing design, and you will certainly appreciate the difference between a logically functional G35, and a emotionally passionate 330.

Read this if you have time: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46

Thanks for all the replies everyone, and for your comarison Uda880 which I think nails the difference between the cars. I waver between acceptable and forehead slap regarding the interior. The exterior is so well sculpted that the mediocrity of the interior is puzzling. I keep thinking, "if only" when I see it. The BMW ZHP interior, with the black headliner, black aluminum cube dash, and red lighting is pure sex. I also appreciate the ergonomics, the wrap around, driver centric quality.
I agree that the G is a more rational choice while the 330 is a more emotional passionate option...not worlds apart but they have their leanings. According to Truedelta, the 3 series has roughly twice the problems per 100 vehicles that the 05 G has. I put faith in stats like that but when I run across anecdotal evidence like my brother's car, 110k without anything other than regular maint., I am tempted.
Also, I believe both the coupe and sport sedan had the same suspension setup whereas the ZHP had the M3 suspension.
Having said all that. the fact that I've got a brand new engine in my car is making me stick with it: I'm taking the route of making one mod at a time and seeing how it goes. So far, I had a Magnaflow muffler installed and the sound is near perfect. I'm thinking of either leaving it as is or doing a coupe midpipe or a magnaflow resonator. It is odd how and why the exhaust sound makes a difference to driving pleasure but it does. My next step is to drop the sedan...probably the Z or coup S-techs or H-techs (depending on which will allow me to get away with not adding a camber kit).

Peace out...

Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 AM
I owned a 03 m3 loved it really fast but if anything go's wrong with it you better have some money everything on bmw is expensive! Looking at getting into a four door right now and really like the bmw but Im going Lexus!

Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by sajibaba
Thanks for all the replies everyone, and for your comarison Uda880 which I think nails the difference between the cars. I waver between acceptable and forehead slap regarding the interior. The exterior is so well sculpted that the mediocrity of the interior is puzzling. I keep thinking, "if only" when I see it. The BMW ZHP interior, with the black headliner, black aluminum cube dash, and red lighting is pure sex. I also appreciate the ergonomics, the wrap around, driver centric quality.
I agree that the G is a more rational choice while the 330 is a more emotional passionate option...not worlds apart but they have their leanings. According to Truedelta, the 3 series has roughly twice the problems per 100 vehicles that the 05 G has. I put faith in stats like that but when I run across anecdotal evidence like my brother's car, 110k without anything other than regular maint., I am tempted.
Also, I believe both the coupe and sport sedan had the same suspension setup whereas the ZHP had the M3 suspension.
Having said all that. the fact that I've got a brand new engine in my car is making me stick with it: I'm taking the route of making one mod at a time and seeing how it goes. So far, I had a Magnaflow muffler installed and the sound is near perfect. I'm thinking of either leaving it as is or doing a coupe midpipe or a magnaflow resonator. It is odd how and why the exhaust sound makes a difference to driving pleasure but it does. My next step is to drop the sedan...probably the Z or coup S-techs or H-techs (depending on which will allow me to get away with not adding a camber kit).

Peace out...
Makes no sense...from your first post and this post you obviously prefer the BMW. So why pour more $$$$ into your G? The fact that you have a new motor should add dollars to the selling price. Also, the fact that you need to ask the question on a forum indicates that you have reservations about your G. Unless you can't afford it go with the BMW. Your G needs a new loving home.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:32 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I'd stick to the G,... If i get a beemer it'll be a M6 or a newer M3

Old 03-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
The trick is not to drive the BMW. The steering is spot on scary good. The handling is well balanced...etc etc. As long as you keep driving your G and stay out of your brothers 330, you'll be fine. If you drive his BMW again, you might get sucked in.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't get it. What's wrong with our interiors? i absolutely love it compared to the boring BMW interiors. My girls 05's looks absolutely perfect and the new G's looks even better.

I may be bias but I think BMW's are overrated. The power in the G alone makes me not want to get an older 330 and it's just as nimble with the bmw feeling slightly more taut and a heavier steering.

If you want steering feel, drive an Elise.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never been in a 330zhp to compare it to but I have an 03 6mt coupe and my dad has an 03 m3, and they're both miled, I'm at 147k and I'm not sure about him but I know it's 100+. Do the 330zhp's have the "sport" button? My dads does and when you hit it it goes from a relaxed ride with some power to like tighter steering and a significant power difference. That thing is fast as **** (relatively speaking to my basically stock g). My car was 1 owner and traded into a bmw dealership, so it seems to have been taken care of (other than 143k miles of smoking) I've only done regular stuff to my car, brakes, oil changes. His 3rd gear synchro's out, one night he heard a loud metal noise then his clutch had less pressure (it still works, but it's got practically no resistance) and it sat for 9 months so a window regulators toast. An m3's a bad *** ride, but after driving his I wouldn't want anything less than an M, but I'd be hesitant to buy one high miles and try to get a history of the car. I'd probably personally stay with the g over the 330zhp, but like I said I've never been in one. Like he said, drop her thrown on exhaust and call it a day

Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by _RR_
Where did that come from...

Maybe if you want a 2 ton tank with an interior that looks like a 12 year old designed it...
My thoughts exactly... I drove a 11' SS auto and hated it. Choppy suspension and almost laughable interior design. It was a heap to say the least. I later raced it and he had me by a car at about 60mph. What a joke.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:37 PM
looks nice! just be ready for expensive repairs

Old 04-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
The 3 series is actually quite reliable, especially the E46 models. Things like suspension parts do tend to wear out quickly on BMWs, but replacement is easy if you're a diy guy. Same goes for fixing most anything on the cars. The BMW crowd does excellent diys on their forums. I wouldn't be scared to own an 330 ZHP at all. It's an easy car to work on and parts are no more expensive than the G.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help deciding: keep the G or go for BMW 330i ZHP