G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Help deciding: keep the G or go for BMW 330i ZHP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help deciding: keep the G or go for BMW 330i ZHP

Hi guys,

New to the forum and need help deciding between keeping my G or moving over to the BMW 330i ZHP. Here's the deal, I've got an 05 6mt sedan, sport suspension, (jwt and z tube). It's in perfect condition and a huge positive is that I just got an engine replacement by the dealer under warranty.
However, I was visiting family this past weekend and got to drive my brother's e46 330i (not even the ZHP model, just sport) and I really liked the overall blending of elements (the handling, the smaller size, the light clutch that doesn't make you feel like a newbie every time you take off (btw, I did the clutch adjustment on the G and that helped), the interior design (which is subjective and I really like on the BMW and a factor that can't really be improved on the G via mods), the sound, ride height, gas mileage, and oddly enough, the lower horse power...I found I could rev up and play with the engine way more with 225 horses and stay within legal limits vs opening up the G half way with its 298 and be concerned about the law...that bit of wisdom, "is it better to drive a slow car fast or a fast car slow", I'm finding myself liking driving a slow car fast is more fun camp).
On the other hand, my G was cheaper to buy than most used 330i zhp's and with the new engine, it is essentially a new car, and it is more reliable to begin with. I'd love to mod it and keep it if I could get it in the same ball park in terms of overall driving engagement as the BMW...my question is this, would lowering it and throwing on a louder exhaust make the sedan significantly more enjoyable to drive or should I just call it quits and move over? What would you do in my shoes?
Would love to hear all your opinions, especially from people who have performed the muffler and height mods to their cars, or have driven/considered both cars.

Thanks in advance...

Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
If it's between JUST those 2. Then i'd take the G over the BMW. I like bmws and i'd probably end up moving over to one later on down the road, but you're in a good position as it is right now with the G. There's alot of other benefits to sticking with it too, but I'll let other people chime in because they'll probably do a better job with that .

Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 AM
I'd also say stick with the G over the 330.

I'll await the mass of 335i fanbois to arrive and tell you to get one of those instead

Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
g35 > 330.....g35 < 335 g35(new motor) > any used and abused bmw(except for M series lol

Old 03-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
one year now with the G35 cp 6mt NO repairs at all
5 years with the 3 series my mechanic new me on a first name basis

Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
If you're going to buy a BMW, it needs to be an M and you better get a raise at work since they're a **** heap.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 113 Likes on 103 Posts
I dont like BMW, so you know my choice.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I hear you about the reliability issue which is why I wouldn't consider the M or the 335 with the very scary twin turbo issues that will crop up. I normally pay attention to reliability stats from Consumer Reports or True Delta, my brother got his car new and he literally hasn't had to do anything but regular maint. on it and its got 110k now (not even window regulators). I'm thinking I won't get that lucky but I'm willing to pay to play.
I don't want to turn this into a mod thread but how much difference in terms of engagement and driving pleasure would dropping the G sedan and making the exhaust louder make? In terms of dropping it, I don't care about aesthetics, I want a lower center of gravity, more race car-esque feel.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Camaro SS.

Case closed.

Still love my G tho

Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Drop the G, add some sway bars, and do exhaust. You will like your G more again.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Drop the G, add some sway bars, and do exhaust. You will love your G more again.
fixed.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
I wouldn't risk buying an old bmw and dealing with the buttloads of problems and costs that can include...

Get some coils, sways, and an exhaust and you will love playing around in your g.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
ZHP > G35. The ZHPs are lower 14 second cars just like your G. They've got the M suspension, body enhancements, better cams, exhaust, deeper gearing, far better MPGs, much better interior, and an infinite selection of killer body mods. If I wrecked my G today, I'd be looking for ZHPs.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4dgs
if you're going to buy a bmw, it needs to be an m and you better get a raise at work since they're a **** heap.
++1

Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
ZHP > G35. The ZHPs are lower 14 second cars just like your G. They've got the M suspension, body enhancements, better cams, exhaust, deeper gearing, far better MPGs, much better interior, and an infinite selection of killer body mods. If I wrecked my G today, I'd be looking for ZHPs.
+1

This is going to be long, mainly because I've had both of these vehicles.

My vehicular progression: 1989 Toyota Celica -> 1998 Toyota 4runner -> 2003 330i ZSP/ZPP -> 2005 330ci ZHP -> 2005 G35 Coupe -> 2005 Z4 3.0i

Before I got my coupe, I was running in a 330ci ZHP. Everything Dave said is true. However, that being said, ZHPs are extremely hard to find on the market, and even if you do find one (usually being sold on E46Fanatics), they come with a relatively heavy premium due to low supply and high demand.

However, after reading through many threads and having personal experience (since before the 330ci ZHP, I had a 330i ZSP and ZPP), you're more likely to find a 330ci with the sports package, and their performance isn't that far off from each other.

That said, here are a few general tips about BMWs:
- The community is much different than G35Driver. Most of the members on the BMW boards are heavily involved in DIY (after warranty) and creating documents that support the vehicle range, while being extremely supportive of your vehicle goals, as long as you keep it tasteful.

- BMWs do need more maintenance. After having 2 Toyotas and still having my G, it's become quite apparent to me that Japanese cars are simply in another league when it comes to reliability and lack of periodic maintenance (apart from oil changes). Not that G35s don't have their own problems (I had suspension replacements, cracked control arm bushings, and a constant love-hate relationship with the interior).

However, when it came to my BMWs, they needed continuous maintenance, including replacing worn out parts (on e46s: cooling system components from coolant expansion tank cracks, to possible water pump failure) and a religious mindfulness to change the oil every 7,000 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic, and ATF/Differential/Coolant/Air filters every 60K miles.

More common problems on E46s are control arm bushings (usually replaced every 60K) and window regulators that fail every 80K or so (usually $100 per window, replaced at indie shops).

- That being said, comparing the 330CI to the G35c is really more about that special feeling of driving a precision vehicle that surrounds you with all the creature comforts a driver needs. In a almost spiritual/non-descript way, the BMW simply wins you over with a driving nature that is akin to being a physical extension of your very being. The interior is adequate with leather and psychologically pleasing design, and you will certainly appreciate the difference between a logically functional G35, and a emotionally passionate 330.

One major difference that you'll notice immediately: the G35 has better seats. More comfortable and definitely controlled my body roll. The 330s with those packages have seats that are more on the hard side and I've noticed I enjoy long drives in the G more than the BMWs.

But after all that, I still went back to a BMW, this time to a Z4. I guess I wanted more harshness, a convertible top, smaller size, but same speed of a G35 in my next vehicle haha.

Read this if you have time: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help deciding: keep the G or go for BMW 330i ZHP