The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

I NEED ALL G35 Guys to answer the following concern i have

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Looks like you have your mind set on the car. And you know more about everything than anyone. So go ahead and get the car.

Xhale69:
Buying a salvaged title is never a good idea. Since your low on money, buy something that you can comfortably afford. Fuel, insurance and maintenance costs will certainly add up with these cars.

Last edited by herrschaft; 03-24-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Like most of our member recommended I'd be cautious buying a car that's been in an accident and then there's the 90K miles on her clock. Airbags, if you intend on replacing them they aren't cheap and neither is the power steering issue. Maybe it's me but why would a young guy want a "granny" four door? I've never even considered buying anything with that many doors....
Gary

hey heyyyy!!! I like my car .... I'm a fairly young guy.. 20..

Anyways. I would NEVER buy a salvaged or wrecked car. Just NEVER. Because you probably will NEVER be able to sell it unless you sell it for dirt cheap or you trade it in which will get you even less money. If you know A LOT about how our cars work. Like you'd be able to diagnose a problem easily if it came up, whether it may be something to do with the engine, electronics, brakes, and etc or you know someone personally that could help you with the car if something goes wrong then MAYBE. Because the fact is that you're probably going to end up spending a good chunk of money on the car in the near future. You know nothing about the owner and what he has done with the car and I highly doubt that he's going to be completely honest with it because lets face it.. he wants to get rid of it.. he's hoping that a young guy that doesn't know what he's doing is just going to get all excited about this slick looking car and just take it off his hands. The only time i'd ever even consider buying a salvaged car is if I knew almost every last detail about it and what it's been through and it's running fine. That's a rare occurence, but it does happen if you know people.

There's a reason why the guy is selling that car for that cheap... Just think about it.

Get a cheap beater and save up for a better car later. That's my advice.

Last edited by prinny; 03-24-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Reminds me of this girl I know..

She had a BMW that her boyfriend bought for her who claimed it to be "as new as you can get without being NEW." It was a very nice car, clean, very low miles, and yeah, pretty much new (2,000 miles at the time he bought it). He kept the title in his own file and held back a pretty important piece of information from her......

A few years later she wanted to trade it in for a Shelby GT500. The BMW was still in great shape (asthetically and on paper) and was barely driven - it only had 12,000 miles total after 2.5 years owning it - because it spent half the time at a shop. She thought she could get a decent value for it at the dealer...

After test driving the car and going it to sit down for some paperwork, the salesman comes back and says, "um, were you aware that you have a salave title?" They sent her out the door; they didn't even want to even deal with it...

I don't need to tell you what happened afterwards with the (now ex) boyfriend.

If money is tight, these cars aren't for you. Sorry to be blunt, but that's the plain truth. Don't buy a salvaged vehicle. EVER.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I would avoid a salvaged car, especially one with power steering problems, and missing airbags, since those cost a TON. Used 2003 sedans, especially the 5AT's, go for less than $10,000, so maybe save a little while longer and get a car that won't have salvage car issues in the future.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Why are you even considering a used wrecked, or high mileage Infiniti? Why not go out and buy a brand new car for 12k and get 0% on it? Your payment would be less than 200 bucks a month, and you'd have a car that is reliable, safe, and has a warranty. Then save up your cash and buy something nicer down the road.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
Why are you even considering a used wrecked, or high mileage Infiniti? Why not go out and buy a brand new car for 12k and get 0% on it? Your payment would be less than 200 bucks a month, and you'd have a car that is reliable, safe, and has a warranty. Then save up your cash and buy something nicer down the road.

Monthly payments are a pain in the *** and I'd never rely on those. Better to just get a beater and pay cash for it

Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Xhale69
Alright so i LOVE G35's i dont care if its a sedan or a coupe i love them both.

But i dont have much money so i wanna get the best bargain i can on a a G35 as i can get. I saw a 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan for sale with
90 K miles.
The things that are wrong with it is that its been in a accident before, Needs new power steering, Needs The front and passenger side air bags and the Front Bumper just needs to be adjusted. Thats about it and the guy is willing to let it go for $4900. There is no "Check Engine" Light on or anything Transmission shifts smooth. Everything is stock in the car except after market deck. What you guys think? Is it a good investment? Should i buy the car? And also what if he drove the car a ruff way? Would it make a difference on how long it lasts? And also how much would a maintenance cost would be for a car like this per month? Please feel free to give me your honest answers i will greatly appreciate it.

This car is a gas eater(91+ octane), Eats tires, and as mentioned airbags cost a fortune, and the cost of ownership will likely be higher then you anticipate. My advice to you is to buy a used Honda civic or something of that sort until you have more funds later in life.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The car is a bit thirsty (I average 19mpg overall, 28 hwy), but the sedans don't eat tires or other consumables faster than other cars. You can get some reasonably sporty long life tires (I use Yokohama S.Drive) for a decent price, and aftermafket brake pads and rotors will last plenty long.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
IDK, I burned through my first set pretty quick.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by prinny
Monthly payments are a pain in the *** and I'd never rely on those. Better to just get a beater and pay cash for it
Yeah but if this guy is looking to spend 5k on this wrecked G, he'll probably have to spend another 5k to get it right. And even after that, he'll still have a car that's been wrecked, has 90k miles on the clock, no warranty, and get **** for gas mileage. For 10k, he can get a brand new Aveo, Versa, Soul, and whatever other cheap new car is out there. I'm just saying....

Old 03-25-2011, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
Yeah but if this guy is looking to spend 5k on this wrecked G, he'll probably have to spend another 5k to get it right. And even after that, he'll still have a car that's been wrecked, has 90k miles on the clock, no warranty, and get **** for gas mileage. For 10k, he can get a brand new Aveo, Versa, Soul, and whatever other cheap new car is out there. I'm just saying....

Nah I meant like it's better if he just gets like a ****ty car to start with.. like some old honda civic or something.. that way he'll have to spend a few grand max. He can stick with that car for a bit.. get a job or something and save up then buy a G later down the road if he wants.

If he got one of those crap Korean cars.. then there's no satisfaction in that... he'd also be stuck with it for awhile because there's no point in throwing it away if you've still got a 100k mile waranty to go through.

For 10k i'd much rather get a G than one of those to be honest..

Old 03-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gas mileage is relative. When I bought my G I went from driving an SUV at 14 mpg's. At 19-20 mpg's I can feel the difference in my wallet, even with the added cost of premium.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Like most of our member recommended I'd be cautious buying a car that's been in an accident and then there's the 90K miles on her clock. Airbags, if you intend on replacing them they aren't cheap and neither is the power steering issue. Maybe it's me but why would a young guy want a "granny" four door? I've never even considered buying anything with that many doors....
Gary
It's you.

As for the OP, follow the advice on here and keep looking.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by prinny

For 10k i'd much rather get a G than one of those to be honest..
But if this guy is looking at a $5,000 G, I'm, gonna go on a limb and say that he is kinda tight on money. I'm not trying to be an ******* by assuming this, but that is what is seems like to me. If he is tight on money, he needs to get something that is cheap to own and operate on a daily basis, and the cost per mile on a newer, cheap, car that doesn't eat tires, get ****ty gas mileage, and is out of warranty is a lot lower than on a 10k G. I would never buy a high mileage luxury car just so I can say I have a "luxury" car and the expense of having a car that is 8 years old and still costing me money.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Maybe it's me but why would a young guy want a "granny" four door? I've never even considered buying anything with that many doors....
Gary
He may be young, but perhaps he's just a bit more mature than others his age and maybe older?

In the case of G35s, the "Granny" four doors are lighter than your overweight two doors!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I NEED ALL G35 Guys to answer the following concern i have