The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Nation wide speed traps (Canada too)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a device out called the "Spectre III" which is an RDD, or Radar Detector Detector....I know....sounds dumb. Don't know how well it works or how common it is, but I doubt most departments with limited budgets will spring for the cash to equip every squad car with one when catching speeders is easy enough. Anyway, this is really a cat and mouse game as cops constantly change their technology to detect speeders and companies who make radar detectors are always trying to keep up. I wouldn't really worry about an RDD UNLESS radar detectors are illegal in your state (I believe VA and Washington DC are two of them but there could be more). If they have an RDD and you have an RD but its not illegal in your state there really isn't much they can do about it unless they catch you speeding, which an RDD isn't going to help them actually catch you speeding anyway. Its just going to let them know that you have an RD. Make sense? Good!!!!

Keep in mind that cops also use laser guns which are different than radar and more difficult to detect. For that you need to make sure your RD has LIDAR detection capability.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
jake227 is correct. Detectors are prohibited in VA and DC only. Most newer detectors put out very low signals so they are not likely detected by the man. In the old days,15-20 years ago my detector at the time, picked up other peoples cheap detectors.
In those days a cheap Fuzz Buster for $100 was worthless. The only thing it told you was that you were busted.
I paid $250 for my current detector 7 years ago. It can "smell" the man long before he can see me. His signal bounces off every thing. I've even been saved from LIDAR. The operator must have beeen over confident and waved it around before I came in sight. Even laser beams bounce.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I mean it that the "speedtrap" list has great truths about areas that are used as PD predatory "designed" speed enforcement. We all know it is mostly tax collection and not public safety.

The list a good read and accurate because of the post up's by victims (all guilty but otherwise "trapped by the designed situation" ) and the site visitors vote on each locations accuracy.

jake227
Roswell seems to be not too far from "don't spit on the sidewalk after dark in my town."
I'm sure the PD does a crime prevention effort, Traffic enforcement jumps out as predatory to most everyone around here.
That night, I did not fail to maintain lane, knew the patrol car was stalking for miles, straight away, turns, traffic light, stop sign and my post clearly states my hunch to the traffic stop and dialog was possible entrapment.
There have been other times the Roswell PD follow my vehicle and run the tag without a stop, but noticeably the frequency is suspect.

I had no witness present, PD does have skill in circular dialog and it was unethical and a waste of PD productivity.

You sound as if you know how a roadside interview can develop. This is a truthful shame, I'm not a kid and the vehicle is quite ordinary. I was polite and respectful and still took 20 minutes to get the PD released from whatever he intended from that traffic stop. I avoid that town after 10pm unless I'm in the dinner district. I've live in the area for decades. I refuse to commute across that town at night since there are alternate routes to my place.

Last edited by toro12; 03-30-2011 at 12:05 PM.