The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Volk Wheel locks = PooP.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Volk Wheel locks = PooP.

So like a dumb *** I lost my wheel lock key this past week, and I needed to get my tires flipped. So I stopped by like 8 different shops looking for replacement volk lock keys or to just borrow a key to take them off. No one could help. Discount tire El Monte (Vick) told me I had to order all 4 different keys and try them all. Vick is a good guy but this was just plain stupid. I went to Mazz Autosport, Rosemead and the main guy there said it would be $140 bucks to remove them without the key. I basically laughed and was like "your ****ing kidding me" he also said it would take about an hour, and that there is no guarantee that the rims wouldn't get damaged.

I also went to Tire Central (Donald) and he tried to help me out but didn't have the tool to take them off. His price was 30 bucks but he didn't have the tool for whatever reason. He gave me some contacts to see what they could do for me. So that was pretty cool of him.

Well after a few failed shops and over priced BS. I went home disappointed. I looked online and a couple people said smash a socket on their, gator grip, lug extractor tool. so I went with the cheapest idea first.

3/4 sockets, a hammer and a breaker bar. All I had to do was buy the 4 sockets at 2.99 a piece from harbor freight. I went home and started to get nervous about hammering my rims. So I fit the first one with the socket and started hammering, at first is didn't grab so I hit it harder. Sure enough that **** grabbed the wheel lock and with the breaker bar I removed the wheel lock. The first 2 went very quick, lol on the 3rd wheel I was a little excited and hit the rim and made a small paint chip, but oh well. I saved a **** load of money and got them off.

So don't be fooled people wheel locks do nothing. 4 sockets, a hammer, and a breaker bar and your wheels will be gone in less then 5 minutes. Never again will I put a lock on, if they want my wheels that bad f*ck it, let them have them, I have good insurance.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 PM
so now Im looking to black 50mm volk lugs, regular lugs not wheel locks, if anyone has any extra.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Lol. Good read!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 AM
beb
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
What you could have done is call Mackin Industries. They are the distributor for Rays... They would have had you stop by, fit a few locks and send Vic the right one for you to purchase. This information comes up when you google search about rays lugs too.... and youre local!

Wheel locks do something... It may not be the ultimate thief stopper, but as we all know; if someone wants it bad enough, theyll get it. Most thieves dont do what you did because of the chances of damaging wheels, breaking the lock in a manner that would make getting the wheel off even more impossible, setting off the alarm or making noise to cause attention.

I will however agree with you that good insurance is a great thing to have! :P

Old 05-26-2011, 07:20 AM
LoL I've been searching since Monday about rays lugs. I didn't see anything about stopping by mackin. Either way keys arent worth the hassle. Thieves will take them no matter what. My new security system is just wheel rash lol. I was gonna spend 400 to have all my wheels redone but I think I'll spend that money elsewhere. Plus I don't have fancy volks or work wheels so I'm not worried about get jacked that much.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts
lol wheel locks may seem pointless to you but they definatly saved my brother's $7,000 Custom DPE's. If you can put up as much struggle for a thief as you can you should do it. Thats why some people, when they look at their cars after someone tries to steal their wheels, they see that the wheel locks were the only thing still on.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Years ago someone stole the wheels off my CRX. Insurance covered it. I ran wheel locks on the next set for a while. Aside from my Mustang, which has irreplaceable wheels, I just plan to let my insurance do what I pay for it to do. Save myself the hassles.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
You do know that you could contact Volk and work something out with them right? When I lost my Work lock key they had me email a high def picture of the pattern of the locking lug nut and got me the right one.

Also, locking lug nuts aren't to protect/prevent wheels from being stolen, it's meant to slow the thief down. If a thief really wants your wheels, your car, your stereo, etc...they'll get it.

**just read what beb wrote....guess i wrote a duplicate lol

Old 05-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Another example would be: if a thief wants to get in your house, he will. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't lock your doors and windows .

I feel a little safer having my wheel locks (and alarm tilt sensor).

Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 297 Likes on 242 Posts
^me too..lol

Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM
beb
Sorry you couldnt find the info, I guess since I know which terms to enter to find it - its easy for me but maybe not for others. =T

Even if you have cheapie rashed wheels, they still cost money! Locks are just something that is helpful, not completely theft deterent but not much is. I personally like the Kics lugs and its made of tough chromium or something! Or you could pick up a set of Mutekis and Bull Locks!

Just do SOMETHING to protect your wheels. Even non-Volks get stolen too!

and completely agree with silencer. Get a 2 way pager alarm w/ tilt sensor! I was at work once and my pager went off so I ran outside... The damn CBeyond installer had tapped my sideview mirror and my alarm let me know. Cars are expensive and good locks, alarm and insurance are all worth it IMO!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I put these on my wife's car after her factory rims were stolen. http://www.nengun.com/kyo-ei/dency-2000-lock-nuts

It's a two piece system using a traditional lock and a specially keyed magnetic cap.
The magnetic cap has such a minimal amount of clearance around it, I doubt hammering a socket onto it would do anything

Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 PM
beb
Dency are awesome. I have their license plate bolt/locks lol.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:54 PM
LoL yes i know it will give me a sense of "security" but I pay to much for insurance not to use it. F*ck it if they steal my rims, I get a new nicer set plus new tires for free. This is also the reason I will probably never buy volks or work wheels. I used to be super protective of my car and where I parked. It would give me a headache everytime I thought it was my alarm going off. Low jack plus good insurance = no worries.