G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Good paint places in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by prinny
Sounds like their services aren't going to be coming very cheap though lol
If you want cheap there are boatloads of places - you don't need referrals on specialized forums for that. If you want good, give 'em a call for a quote (that's free)

Old 06-11-2011, 01:32 PM
JBF
Received 686 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by J2S2M
I was quoted $350 to repaint my rear OEM bumper from R&J a while back. AutoExplosion quoted me $350-400 depending on the work involved. So the difference in price is not that drastic IMO.
I'm sure they'd find something to tack on an extra 100 bucks

Old 06-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by JBF
I'm sure they'd find something to tack on an extra 100 bucks
who? AE or R&J?

I've had boatloads of work done by AE and they've never charged more than the initial quote. If they did stuff like that, they wouldnt have so many people going to them.

Now if it's R&J that does that - I dont have experience with them so I dont know. Have you used either shop?

Old 06-11-2011, 02:06 PM
JBF
I was speaking of AE. R&J has never charged me more than the first quote.

R&J is kinda like a tattoo shop. You keep going back the prices get lower.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by JBF
I was speaking of AE. R&J has never charged me more than the first quote.

R&J is kinda like a tattoo shop. You keep going back the prices get lower.
not sure why you wold say AE would find something to charge more for then... I've always paid what was discussed up front.

And if your tat artist is charging less than the first time - then you got ripped off the first time. I've got over 25 hours with same artists - he always does me right but is consistent with his pricing (if they arent charging my the time, you're getting screwed)... and haggling with a tattoo artist is the biggest cardinal sin in the industry.

But tats are like auto body shops - you can find someone to do it cheap... but if you want quality, it's rarely gonna be "cheap".

Old 06-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
If you want cheap there are boatloads of places - you don't need referrals on specialized forums for that. If you want good, give 'em a call for a quote (that's free)

Cheap not meaning like cheap **** work.... cheap meaning like good price vs what you get ratio. Like it "seems" like R&J would charge less, but still give a quality finished product while AE would definitely give you a very good product, but at a higher price. You understand what I'm trying to say?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:25 AM
JBF
not sure why you wold say AE would find something to charge more for then... I've always paid what was discussed up front.

And if your tat artist is charging less than the first time - then you got ripped off the first time. I've got over 25 hours with same artists - he always does me right but is consistent with his pricing (if they arent charging my the time, you're getting screwed)... and haggling with a tattoo artist is the biggest cardinal sin in the industry.

But tats are like auto body shops - you can find someone to do it cheap... but if you want quality, it's rarely gonna be "cheap".
I'm not here to argue with you on who is better or whatever. I gave an opinion to the OP since he was asking for a cheap place to get his shiit painted without sacrificing quality.

That being said. OP its up to you...

The following users liked this post:
prinny (06-12-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 02:35 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by JBF
I'm not here to argue with you on who is better or whatever. I gave an opinion to the OP since he was asking for a cheap place to get his shiit painted without sacrificing quality.

Won't hurt to call up both so I'll probably just do that.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by JBF

when you make unfounded claims like "they will find something to add an extra $100" - you're gonna get a response.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by prinny
Cheap not meaning like cheap **** work.... cheap meaning like good price vs what you get ratio. Like it "seems" like R&J would charge less, but still give a quality finished product while AE would definitely give you a very good product, but at a higher price. You understand what I'm trying to say?
yes, I understood what you meant.. and in general (with everything in life) the cheaper the price the less quality it is... and as stated, you can find lots of cheap places - but "cheap" is relative.

This isnt a post regarding one shop vs another - this is common logic in general terms.

Bang for buck (as it seems you may be looking for) might be a better way to phrase it... if you want "show" quality, some shops are better than others; if you want decent quality at decent prices, other shops might fit the bill... if you want cheap you can go to Earl Scheib or Maaco... you understand ~

Old 06-12-2011, 02:17 PM
JBF
when you make unfounded claims like "they will find something to add an extra $100" - you're gonna get a response.
I got a quote of $350 to get sideskirts fitted and painted. I then told them that the sides have been known to have fitment issues.

The next response was "well its going to depend on how much time we spend on them".

not unfounded. thanks

Old 06-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by JBF
I got a quote of $350 to get sideskirts fitted and painted. I then told them that the sides have been known to have fitment issues.

The next response was "well its going to depend on how much time we spend on them".

not unfounded. thanks
what part of the OPS question said anything about fitment? Your response to his question about paint was that they will add $100...

If an items need to be custom fitted or fabricated, it's not uncommon to have a price range (since they dont know how long it will take - however, all my body work quotes were solid... maybe they didnt like you)... but again - this has nothing to do with the OP question or the topic.

Seems to me like you got butt hurt and now you want to argue for the sake of argument (even though your experience isn't even relevant to what you've been arguing). Got anything relevant to help OP with? If not, dont waste so much time refuting posts I make - because your info is unfounded.

Yes unfounded. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:26 PM
JBF
Cool story bro.

I'm sure OP wants to know who does the whole package for a decent price.

And I don't care if AE "didn't like me" (since you wanted to take a jab at me for NO reason(something you enjoy doing to anyone who doesn't agree with you)). But since you make it seem like its a common thing for AE to give prices based on what they think of a potential customer over the phone, I'm glad I didn't choose them to begin with.

I stated something that may have helped OP in making a decision.

Careful OP, AE might not like you and give you a higher price.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
I can only speak from personal experience. I have had nothing but great experiences with AE and I've had quite a bit of work done there. They have always charged me what was originally quoted and work has always been to my satisfaction.

I've never dealt with parts that don't fit properly (KuRookie front, NisRookie sides, 03/04 OEM bumper and Nismo rear fit like a glove) so I'm not sure how that typically works. What I would expect is to get a price range depending on how many hours it takes to modify the item to make it fit properly.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by JBF

I stated something that may have helped OP in making a decision.

Careful OP, AE might not like you and give you a higher price.
he's looking for a shop to paint bumper and rocker panels (as noted in his first post)... not find a shop to custom fit parts...

So you're not really helping him when you say they will add $100 to their quote.

On a side note (not related to OP, but to your agenda): If you think a shop is going to phone quote for custom fitment you need to re-think your expectations.