The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

VDC saved my life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2011 | 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
OP thats whats VDC's for. To save you when you screwed up.

People who turn it off are idiots. Unless they are on the track
This ^ x1,000,000

People that turn them off because they interfere with daily driving are retarded, and if you make your VDC do anything at all during your normal commute, not only do you not know your car, you don't know **** about driving, period. Hitting apexes and daily driving also do not fall in the same sentence. I can see turning VDC off at the track where there are run off areas when you do over drive the car, but on the street, where there are trees, light poles, other vehicles and people, VDC should be left on.

Old 07-19-2011 | 11:18 PM
everything
Ive had mine kick in going around a large sweeping corner on one of the huge Dallas interchanges. Car all of the sudden nose dived and almost sent me into the wall. I was cruising in traffic going under the speed limit for the curve.

I HATE VDC, it always cuts power when you need it or in several cases its cut power and made my car do weird sh;t. Its 2nd nature for me to shut it off everytime I get in my car.

If youre some kind of newb to RWD cars then ya I can see leaving it on but I like to drive "my" car, not all this BS computerized crap they have on cars now. People are getting so lazy they now have cars parallel park themselves. And all this collision avoidance BS everyone is doing... maybe if people werent talking on their damned cell phone not paying attention your car wouldnt have to brake and swerve for you!!! Technology is great but its starting to take the fun out of driving for car enthusiasts.

If youre an idiot and cant keep control of your RWD then keep it on, but dont be raggin' on us guys who shut it off cuz we know how to push our cars a little and can keep it under control.

If youre in this thread ranting and raving about how VDC saved your life... maybe you should consider a FWD so the rest of dont have to watch out for you on the road.... as much. There's always public transit too if you cant drive your own car without breaking the rear end loose and ending up in the ditch/curb/abutment/another vehicle/upside down

All these VDC threads boil down to one thing... inexperienced driver not knowing your own vehicle

Last edited by G2FLIP4; 07-20-2011 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011 | 01:18 AM
First thing it does fully shut off, aleast on a rev up 6mt, I can't speak the same for autos and other years, I know for fact it fully shuts off.

Also vDC on in dry is UNSAFE. Try to do some emergency maneuvers or if last minute u need to accelerate and VDC will kick on slowing u down or prevrnting u from turning where u need to, thus making it less safe.

Just to share I leave it on in rain unless I want to drift. In the rain sometimes u don't know if it's oily or a big hole/dip in road when it's dark so I leave it for the unknowns

But in dry weather I know my limitations of the car and vcd ON is dangerous to me just my IMHO.
I am not saying anything a out men or noobs, just how I run it

Last edited by boostedforlife; 07-20-2011 at 06:30 AM.
GXXXV X (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011 | 02:00 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by _RR_
Sorry, I know how to drive. I don't need a computer to do it for me. Like prinny said, It's never fully off unless you do the mod anyways. The car feels sluggish and the VDC over corrects for the slightest situation.

I bought as RWD car for a reason....

I understand some people like to cruise around like grandpa, and thats fine. No reason to call someone an idiot. I'm not trying to drift around town, it's just to intrusive for my taste.
Sorry, but you need to take butt to the tracks if you want to drive like "pro" or a "man" or whatever you want to call it.

The streets doesn't need idiots driving around like they're the **** and have something to prove.

You might think you're "all that" but accidents happens. So be safe and take it to track instead of endangering other people on the highway because you want to see your G35 which is equipped with the same motor as a fn Maxima and Pathfinder, "perform"...

I remember reading on another thread where this kid decided that he was better than everyone and that the flow of traffic was TOO SLOW for him, so he decided to drive on the break down lane in the middle of the freeway and ran over some metal debris because he couldn't stop in time and destroyed his front bumper. And his entire thread was about bitching to the people who were driving too slow. LMFAO

-------------

The only thing that saved me before was the ABS system on my Acura Integra. My front tires were pretty much bald and it was raining hard. Some guy stopped in the middle of the highway for no reason and I slammed the brakes. I was about 2cm from hitting this beat up car who probably wanted some insurance money. Thank goodness for ABS.

Last edited by jibberjabbers; 07-20-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2011 | 06:00 AM
^What engine swap would you recommend doing on a G35 that will make it "perform"? So youre saying that if I do an engine swap but still drive like a maniac, then I won't be a danger to other people on the highway since I have a different engine from the maxima and pathfinder?

boostedforlife (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011 | 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
this ^ x1,000,000

people that turn them off because they interfere with daily driving are retarded, and if you make your vdc do anything at all during your normal commute, not only do you not know your car, you don't know **** about driving, period. Hitting apexes and daily driving also do not fall in the same sentence. I can see turning vdc off at the track where there are run off areas when you do over drive the car, but on the street, where there are trees, light poles, other vehicles and people, vdc should be left on.
psa: dnftt

Old 07-20-2011 | 06:36 PM
Geez, so much hate in this thread. To OP, yes it seems in your instance VDC may have saved you. But hopefully at the end of the day you understand it is you the driver that has the control. As all drivers need to realize we are operating machines and we need to operate them in safe ways, VDC or not.
In my own case i do leave it on. The reason being, i don't really completley understand how it works and how much it is effecting my driving, and wouldn't want to tests its limits during daily situations. However to each his own.
-Safe Driving

The following 2 users liked this post by plainomega88:
boostedforlife (07-21-2011), prinny (07-21-2011)
Old 07-20-2011 | 06:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by GXXXV X
^What engine swap would you recommend doing on a G35 that will make it "perform"? So youre saying that if I do an engine swap but still drive like a maniac, then I won't be a danger to other people on the highway since I have a different engine from the maxima and pathfinder?
Point is you need to take it to the tracks. Dude said he "bought" a RWD car for a reason.

"Do drive like an *** on public street?"...

Anyone can drive like an ***. You don't need a G35 to do it.

Old 07-20-2011 | 06:51 PM
But only a few post like one.

Old 07-20-2011 | 08:18 PM
to wanna turn it off that often people must drive their car like their on the track 24/7 racing themselves lol

Old 07-20-2011 | 08:36 PM
Mr.202?
Premier Member
Originally Posted by G2FLIP4
Ive had mine kick in going around a large sweeping corner on one of the huge Dallas interchanges. Car all of the sudden nose dived and almost sent me into the wall. I was cruising in traffic going under the speed limit for the curve.

I HATE VDC, it always cuts power when you need it or in several cases its cut power and made my car do weird sh;t. Its 2nd nature for me to shut it off everytime I get in my car.

There are two parts to our VDC system. Traction Control and then Stability control using the Steering and Yaw Sensors(to get the car back in line)

Traction control is responsible for the loss of power
Stability control is responsible to get the car back on its intended path. (Can actuate ABS/and Traction Control)

Its quite simple, if the car detects a tire is spinning(ie loosing traction), Traction Control kicks in, cuts power until the tire has traction.

For instance: your at the drag strip and forgot to turn off VDC. When you launch your going to get Traction control to kick in and only kill power, as your car is moving straight and you are steering straight, so Stability control DOES NOT kick in.

Once traction control kicks in and something is still happening(ie tail out), instantaneously the Stability control will kick in by individually braking any of the four tires if your A. steering wheel and B. path of the car are at two different places. Then Stability control will kick in and get the car to go where steering input is telling it to go.

For instance: Rear end slides out when trying to turn, and you are steering to finish the turn. The car will brake one of the front wheels and TC will cut power getting the car back into the line of where you are steering.

Once you are going fast enough to over come the tires friction(ie when you know you will spin out, or slide) you might have to counter steer a certain amount as VDC cannot defy the laws of physics. When you are moving slow enough or tires have enough traction VDC can quickly get you back in line, but when its IE. very wet out VDC is limited by how much traction you have and the car will slide more then at a slower speed. (common sense)

Now lets go back to what you said

1. Ive had mine kick in going around a large sweeping corner on one of the huge Dallas interchanges. 2. Car all of the sudden nose dived and almost sent me into the wall. 3. I was cruising in traffic going under the speed limit for the curve.
1. If you got Both TC and Stability control to kick in, then either
A too fast for the corner
B Poor tire condition(Tread, Air pressure)
C Poor traction due to road condition(age, sand ,wet..ect)

2. This sounds like you did not steer properly and the VDC is acting erratically, You are suppose to steer into the direction you intended to go, when done properly VDC is very very predictable.

3. Look at 1

Please note I am not trying to make fun of you, but it appears you do not fully understand how the Vehicle Dynamic Control(VDC) system works. I hope this will help you and others understand.

Old 07-20-2011 | 09:15 PM
Old 07-20-2011 | 09:46 PM

If youre some kind of newb to RWD cars then ya I can see leaving it on but I like to drive "my" car, not all this BS computerized crap they have on cars now. People are getting so lazy they now have cars parallel park themselves. And all this collision avoidance BS everyone is doing... maybe if people werent talking on their damned cell phone not paying attention your car wouldnt have to brake and swerve for you!!! Technology is great but its starting to take the fun out of driving for car enthusiasts.

If youre an idiot and cant keep control of your RWD then keep it on, but dont be raggin' on us guys who shut it off cuz we know how to push our cars a little and can keep it under control.

If youre in this thread ranting and raving about how VDC saved your life... maybe you should consider a FWD so the rest of dont have to watch out for you on the road.... as much. There's always public transit too if you cant drive your own car without breaking the rear end loose and ending up in the ditch/curb/abutment/another vehicle/upside down

All these VDC threads boil down to one thing... inexperienced driver not knowing your own vehicle

Old 07-20-2011 | 10:04 PM
everything
Originally Posted by thescreensavers

Please note I am not trying to make fun of you, but it appears you do not fully understand how the Vehicle Dynamic Control(VDC) system works. I hope this will help you and others understand.
Regardless if I know the exact details of how it works(not many of us on here are electrical or automotive engineers), I DO NOT like it. None of my prior vehicles ever did what I explained above. FWD, RWD, SUV, or a 4WD truck and Ive never managed to spin out, crash, or come onto a forum ranting about how if I had it, it would have saved my life.

Ill continue to drive with it off, you guys continue to drive with it on. So many of you get so bent out of shape about other people turning it off...for what?

I want to be in control of my car, not some little electronic box that thinks it knows what Im doing or is going to happen. Had I remembered to turn it off that day, I wouldnt have had to practically sh;t myself when the car thought I was out of control when I really wasnt. Ive taken that corner doing the posted speed with VDC off and Im still alive to tell you all about it.

Last edited by G2FLIP4; 07-20-2011 at 10:15 PM.
prinny (07-21-2011)
Old 07-20-2011 | 10:13 PM
Ill continue to drive with it off, you guys continue to drive with it on. So many of you get so bent out of shape about other people turning it off...for what?
Well, gosh, a voice of reason, right when I was persuaded to leave it on by being called a retarded idiot a**.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VDC saved my life