The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

VDC saved my life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2011 | 10:20 PM
everything
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
My front tires were pretty much bald and it was raining hard.
Pot meet kettle......

For telling everyone they dont know how to drive cuz they turn off VDC, riding around on bald tires is pretty f*cking unsafe and stupid in its own right.

Old 07-20-2011 | 11:05 PM
This forum gets more and more Vin Diesel wanna be *** hats every month, which is what happens when a car gets old and a bunch of idiot teenagers are able to afford a RWD car with decent power... Yeah, you can react better than a computer that does a 1,000 calculations per second with inconsistent and changing road conditions in every day driving. If you have your VDC kick on constantly in every day driving, you need to take the bus. I drove my G35 and G37 for 5 years and not one time, in the dry or wet, did the VDC kick in when it was not supposed to. If it was such a hazard, Nissan would not let cars roll out of the factory with it. You think you see too many accidents where VDC caused them? I think not. I have a 400+ hp car right now, and guess how many times stability or traction control have turned on in the last 2200 miles while driving on the street....0.

Old 07-20-2011 | 11:31 PM
Mr.202?
Premier Member
Originally Posted by G2FLIP4
Regardless if I know the exact details of how it works(not many of us on here are electrical or automotive engineers), I DO NOT like it. None of my prior vehicles ever did what I explained above. FWD, RWD, SUV, or a 4WD truck and Ive never managed to spin out, crash, or come onto a forum ranting about how if I had it, it would have saved my life.

Ill continue to drive with it off, you guys continue to drive with it on. So many of you get so bent out of shape about other people turning it off...for what?

I want to be in control of my car, not some little electronic box that thinks it knows what Im doing or is going to happen. Had I remembered to turn it off that day, I wouldnt have had to practically sh;t myself when the car thought I was out of control when I really wasnt. Ive taken that corner doing the posted speed with VDC off and Im still alive to tell you all about it.
Thats fine, you can drive with it off. But what you described is not how VDC acts when you normally loose control, only reason the system kicked in was because you lost control plain and simple. If there was something wrong with your VDC system then it would be happening again and again. If that is happening you should bring your car to the dealer asap.

If you truly want to turn it off why dont you just do the Yaw sensor mod? Better yet pull the 50amp fuse, you'll get rid of ABS as well, so you wont have a computers interfering with your driving.

Old 07-21-2011 | 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
This forum gets more and more Vin Diesel wanna be *** hats every month, which is what happens when a car gets old and a bunch of idiot teenagers are able to afford a RWD car with decent power...
Yeah, and what's worse is the trolls.

Old 07-21-2011 | 08:48 AM
everything
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
If you truly want to turn it off why dont you just do the Yaw sensor mod? Better yet pull the 50amp fuse, you'll get rid of ABS as well, so you wont have a computers interfering with your driving.
Phewww... just got done pulling all my fuses... took me all night in the garage! Took out the airbags too while I was at it.

Dont know how the human race survived before they had all this technology to assist driving.... Man, you guys would have died the 1st week of driving if you lived in the 50s or 60s and had to drive around 6000 lb rolling coffins without VDC, in say, something like a Desoto or Plymouth.

Anyways, Ill see you guys next month when another newb posts another VDC thread about how he almost killed himself cuz he cant drive... or none of us can drive since we turn VDC off..... until then.... dont have a brain aneurysm cuz of something someone does on the Internet that is 2000 miles away from you....

Last edited by G2FLIP4; 07-21-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-21-2011 | 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by _RR_
Doesn't have to be even flooring it. Today It was just a little wet out and I was at a red light. There was a big semi going slow ahead trying to make a left turn but his butt was still in my lane. So I gave it some gas to get ahead of the guy to the right (actually left the VDC on that time). As soon as my tires lost a little bit the vdc kicked on and screwed me up.
Originally Posted by marcinr
So, I've tracked my G35 sedan a few times when my track car was busted, and I did it with VDC on, since my car doesn't have an LSD, and the traction control actually helps a little relative to an open differential when accelerating out of a turn. The VDC did not step in at all when my car was basically in controlled four wheel slides in turns.

It turns out that the VDC is only abrupt if it's trying to correct an abrupt change in the car's motion. If you're smooth with your driving, it will let you do a lot of sliding in turns. It still sucks when you break loose a wheel under acceleration, though, it throttles back too aggressively. I know how to drive a car (track video), but I still leave the VDC enabled when driving most of the time, since you can be a great driver 99.9% of the time, and it's that 0.1% when you get distracted by something or make a mistake when bad stuff happens, and the electronic nannies can save your butt.

Unless you're some place where you intimately know the road conditions (like a track), or trying to do a burnout, it's better to leave it on, in my opinion. My other car has no electronic nannies of any sort, and it forces me to pay much more attention, which is both good and tiring
S model=LSD

Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Sorry, but you need to take butt to the tracks if you want to drive like "pro" or a "man" or whatever you want to call it.

The streets doesn't need idiots driving around like they're the **** and have something to prove.

You might think you're "all that" but accidents happens. So be safe and take it to track instead of endangering other people on the highway because you want to see your G35 which is equipped with the same motor as a fn Maxima and Pathfinder, "perform"...
Did you not see my post?

Originally Posted by _RR_
Doesn't have to be even flooring it. Today It was just a little wet out and I was at a red light. There was a big semi going slow ahead trying to make a left turn but his butt was still in my lane. So I gave it some gas to get ahead of the guy to the right (actually left the VDC on that time). As soon as my tires lost a little bit the vdc kicked on and screwed me up.
It annoys me. It's my car, that's enough reason. You don't NEED VDC to be safe....

I don't need anything to prove. Besides, I get my thrills on 2 wheels now. Cars are getting boring to me.

Regardless if I know the exact details of how it works(not many of us on here are electrical or automotive engineers), I DO NOT like it. None of my prior vehicles ever did what I explained above. FWD, RWD, SUV, or a 4WD truck and Ive never managed to spin out, crash, or come onto a forum ranting about how if I had it, it would have saved my life.

Ill continue to drive with it off, you guys continue to drive with it on. So many of you get so bent out of shape about other people turning it off...for what?

I want to be in control of my car, not some little electronic box that thinks it knows what Im doing or is going to happen. Had I remembered to turn it off that day, I wouldnt have had to practically sh;t myself when the car thought I was out of control when I really wasnt. Ive taken that corner doing the posted speed with VDC off and Im still alive to tell you all about it.

Thank you. If I crash that's my own fault. I can guarantee VDC won't be the thing that would have saved me.

Always leave your VDC on? Fine with me. Just shut up when I turn mine off.

Old 07-21-2011 | 12:22 PM
Mr.202?
Premier Member
Originally Posted by marcinr
So, I've tracked my G35 sedan a few times when my track car was busted, and I did it with VDC on, since my car doesn't have an LSD, and the traction control actually helps a little relative to an open differential when accelerating out of a turn. The VDC did not step in at all when my car was basically in controlled four wheel slides in turns.
Maybe its the type of tracking or year difference, but when I autoXed leaving the VDC on it was impossible to do the course, every time the tires would sequel TC would kick in. I still had traction, it was just getting to the limit of the tires (All seasons).

Old 07-21-2011 | 01:29 PM
Maybe its the type of tracking or year difference, but when I autoXed leaving the VDC on it was impossible to do the course, every time the tires would sequel TC would kick in. I still had traction, it was just getting to the limit of the tires (All seasons).
Me too. I tried it once just to see how much it would slow me down. Even though my car has decently wide summer rubber, leaving the VDC on with an open diff won't cut it. The stability control and traction control are constantly fighting you especially if you go in too hot on a slow, tight turn (terminal understeer) or try to put the throttle down coming out of tighter corner (peg leg).

The addition of the 3.54 gear with VLSD has made a huge difference. With the VDC off, traction control intervention is no longer an issue because no peg-legging is going on. It's a must for a 5AT 1st gen.

When I'm driving on street, the VDC stays on. It's damn effective especially in this chassis which has a strong tendency towards power and off-throttle oversteer. I trust my driving abilities, but sometimes you don't know what's behind that blind corner which may force you to put a tire off into the grass or gravel which can cause all sorts of control problems. I appreciate having the VDC there to help me reel the car back into control.

LOL at those that think they're prepared for any driving scenario. Facts are stability control is the single most effective safety advance since the seat belt and it's leaning towards probably the most effective safety advance EVER. Air bags aren't even in the same ball game.

Old 07-21-2011 | 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Mudgen
Yeah, and what's worse is the trolls.
I'm pretty sure that people that go on the internet and brag about what great drivers they are, rolling around with their VDC off, hittin' apexes on the street are much worse, nub. But thanks for your input. Now go find a Ferrari to street race, and smoke 'em.

Old 07-21-2011 | 04:19 PM
Yes, VDC does indeed blow at auto-x, since auto-x is fairly violent compared to tracking. The VDC's reaction seems to be very dependent on smoothness and the rate of change of the car's rotation. So, for example, four wheel drift is ok, but the moment the car starts to spin while in the drift, the stability control kicks in. However, if you're auto crossing your car, I see nothing wrong with turning that junk off, I was just saying it lets you do quite a bit before it steps in, and you shouldn't be driving auto-x style on the street for it to matter.

Old 07-21-2011 | 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Mudgen
Well, gosh, a voice of reason, right when I was persuaded to leave it on by being called a retarded idiot a**.

This^

There's a reason why I didn't bother posting after my first post.

Old 07-25-2011 | 05:25 PM
good to here

Old 07-25-2011 | 10:15 PM
I think one of the safest things you can do though is know the limits of your car and how it will handle in different situations (both with and w/o the electronic safety features). The best thing I ever did was raise hell in my first car. Obviously it was in wiiide open parking lots/areas. The whole point of finding out what your car will do when you lose control is making it lose control so you want lots of room for error, and obviously if your raising hell on the streets you will eventually get in trouble either physically and/or financially, & naturally, for anything you do there are consequences. Knowing how my cars handled in ice/snow/gravel/rain/etc saved my *** 100 times with no sort of traction control. Since the G was the first car I've owned with VDC the first thing I did was take it somewhere (safe) and I purposefully drove it beyond my capabilities to see how the VDC worked and how it felt/reacted. It works amazingly well at correcting the car in bad situations.
A few months later I was was driving through the mountains in a snowstorm and hit a icy snow drift across the interstate in the middle of a curve, I'm certain VDC saved my *** and without it I would have made an ugly mess no matter how good of a driver I think I am. For that reason I leave it on when; I'm driving in unfamiliar territory; road conditions are bad; or there is anyone else in the car with me cause its better to be safe than sorry & it helps remind me/keeps me from doing anything stupid.
I turn it off when I'm by myself, in a safe location & want to have fun.

Last edited by iamtimshady; 07-25-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2011 | 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by prinny
This^

There's a reason why I didn't bother posting after my first post.
Oh, yeah, and I'm a nub, too.

Old 07-29-2011 | 11:32 AM
I always leave the VDC on. It makes my driving experience better for me.

Glad you are ok.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VDC saved my life