The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

VDC saved my life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2011 | 10:05 AM
^Don't worry, I doubt half the people on this forum have ever taken their engines to redline, or have ever participated in a performance oriented event with their cars.

Old 07-18-2011 | 11:42 AM
Never understood why people take it off when just daily driving...

You guys flooring it at every traffic light?

Old 07-18-2011 | 11:55 AM
The day after I bought my sedan I was making a U-turn from a left turn lane with a green arrow - VDC off. I ended up perpendicular to the road facing the cop that was stopped at the red light next to the turn lane. We made eye contact and she shook her head and smiled.

Ever since then it's been VDC on.

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (07-19-2011)
Old 07-18-2011 | 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mark2K8

Whoa didn't realize I was on a G35 forum. For a second there I thought I was reading an actual performance car forum.

Yeah I usually don't wear my seat belts, I took them off. Too restrictive. Got rid of all air bags in the car, I know how to drive so I won't be needing those at all. ABS? Non sense, I switched my brakes out for mechanical drum brakes for better driving experience.

Old 07-18-2011 | 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
i keep it.. most of the time.. never turn it off when it's raining.. i hate driving in the rain
I always turn mine off when its raining

Old 07-18-2011 | 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
OP thats whats VDC's for. To save you when you screwed up.

People who turn it off are idiots. Unless they are on the track
People who post categorical insults are trolls.

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (07-19-2011)
Old 07-18-2011 | 12:32 PM

I've had disconcerting experiences with VDC equipped cars when cornering near the limits of adhesion. Sometime at just the point that you need to stand on it to grab the apex and shoot out of the corner, the VDC decides there's drift and dumps throttle. This can be a nasty surprise.

I leave the VDC engaged whenever there are actual slippery conditions. And I make a point of keeping the wheels out of the grass, ditch, and tree line.

Old 07-18-2011 | 03:26 PM

Doesn't have to be even flooring it. Today It was just a little wet out and I was at a red light. There was a big semi going slow ahead trying to make a left turn but his butt was still in my lane. So I gave it some gas to get ahead of the guy to the right (actually left the VDC on that time). As soon as my tires lost a little bit the vdc kicked on and screwed me up.

NO biggie, just an example of how it recently annoyed me during daily driving.

Originally Posted by 2006g35sedan
The day after I bought my sedan I was making a U-turn from a left turn lane with a green arrow - VDC off. I ended up perpendicular to the road facing the cop that was stopped at the red light next to the turn lane. We made eye contact and she shook her head and smiled.

Ever since then it's been VDC on.
Yes, have a lead foot, and u will spin out...You are supposed to turn it off only if you are an experienced driver and know the car well.....

Old 07-18-2011 | 03:57 PM
wait so OP thinks hes speed racer aggressively driving his mom sedan after doing some maintenace work? lmao makes me think of the scene from fast and furious when they finish the orange supra lol

Old 07-19-2011 | 12:53 AM
ur lucky dude

Old 07-19-2011 | 02:03 AM
I only take VDC off when i go to this small local spot some people call the rwd playground. I am able with VDC off to drift my car around corners and obstacles while keeping perfect control of my vehicle and not losing control or spinning out. I know what my car can and can't do and I handle it quite well. BTW I dont drift often because of the stress on the car and the price of rubber. Other then that,VDC is on all the time.

Old 07-19-2011 | 02:18 AM
With sticky summer tires the vdc isn't that intrusive! The only time I touch it is when I autocross

Old 07-19-2011 | 11:57 AM
hmm i wish i still had RWD, rain drifting in an AWD w. VDC off is not too easy lmao. running off the road ftl

Old 07-19-2011 | 12:07 PM
I have found the VDC to be mostly unobtrusive while driving. I leave mine on all the time except when at the track.

Old 07-19-2011 | 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by _RR_
Sorry, I know how to drive. I don't need a computer to do it for me. Like prinny said, It's never fully off unless you do the mod anyways. The car feels sluggish and the VDC over corrects for the slightest situation.

I bought as RWD car for a reason....

I understand some people like to cruise around like grandpa, and thats fine. No reason to call someone an idiot. I'm not trying to drift around town, it's just to intrusive for my taste.
So, I've tracked my G35 sedan a few times when my track car was busted, and I did it with VDC on, since my car doesn't have an LSD, and the traction control actually helps a little relative to an open differential when accelerating out of a turn. The VDC did not step in at all when my car was basically in controlled four wheel slides in turns.

It turns out that the VDC is only abrupt if it's trying to correct an abrupt change in the car's motion. If you're smooth with your driving, it will let you do a lot of sliding in turns. It still sucks when you break loose a wheel under acceleration, though, it throttles back too aggressively. I know how to drive a car (
), but I still leave the VDC enabled when driving most of the time, since you can be a great driver 99.9% of the time, and it's that 0.1% when you get distracted by something or make a mistake when bad stuff happens, and the electronic nannies can save your butt.

Unless you're some place where you intimately know the road conditions (like a track), or trying to do a burnout, it's better to leave it on, in my opinion. My other car has no electronic nannies of any sort, and it forces me to pay much more attention, which is both good and tiring

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VDC saved my life