The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What do you guys think about the Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I loved it in Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Old 08-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by selyorsoul2roll
That was in regards to the older models 06-07 etc. Just looked at the updated models. Does look very similar now performance wise. Tough choice either way.
Yeah, I was referring to newer models myself. They are very close.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:59 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
I say get it......

Old 08-12-2011, 05:05 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
The Cayman is awesome to drive, and I think it's the best looking Porsche. I'd love to see them add the 3.6 or 3.8 to the lineup. The 320HP 3.4 is very nice, but more is better!

Originally Posted by grocerylist
Porsches are constantly at the top of the JD Power reliability ratings:
http://www.insideline.com/porsche/jd...st-issues.html
JD Power is totally useless. They're funded by the car industry, so have an existential reason to give them good ratings, and they only look at initial quality and short term quality (1 year or less). Every non-biased, non-auto industry funded source shows Porsche to be below average for reliability. They're awesome cars, but they are not considered reliable.

Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
The Caymen R for 2012 is priced at $78,000. This will make for about a $20,000 difference between a g37 and Caymen R. A 2007 Caymen S will cost you $40,000.
I don't know where you get your numbers, but they're all wrong. The Cayman R starts at $66K, a G37 Coupe Sport, the most expensive G37, starts at $44K, and you can get a 2007 Cayman S for about $33K. I'm sure you can easily get well beyond $78K with options on the Cayman, but I think you'd have to put every option on a G37 to get to $58K.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
I don't know where you get your numbers, but they're all wrong. The Cayman R starts at $66K, a G37 Coupe Sport, the most expensive G37, starts at $44K, and you can get a 2007 Cayman S for about $33K. I'm sure you can easily get well beyond $78K with options on the Cayman, but I think you'd have to put every option on a G37 to get to $58K.
Nobody buys base price vechicles. Base prices are useless but, in this case I quoted a $20,000 price difference which is spot on. I arrived at the prices by building the vechicles on the Infiniti and Porsche sites with the options that I feel people would select. Yes, there are 2007 Cayman S's for 33,000 but, they start on auto trader for around $46,000. If I'm buying a used Porsche I would select the lowest mileage, documented and best condition vechicle I could find. With the repair costs of Porsche cars...going cheap in the long run is going to cost you way more.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JD Power is totally useless. They're funded by the car industry, so have an existential reason to give them good ratings, and they only look at initial quality and short term quality (1 year or less). Every non-biased, non-auto industry funded source shows Porsche to be below average for reliability. They're awesome cars, but they are not considered reliable.
Maybe you're right about JD Power but you can't compare the reliability of a Porsche to an Infiniti. These cars aren't anywhere near to the same class. When you're talking reliability of a Porsche you have to compare it to Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, etc... Porsche is hands down the leader of reliability in the supercar class.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
love it, sexy car!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Nobody buys base price vechicles. Base prices are useless but, in this case I quoted a $20,000 price difference which is spot on. I arrived at the prices by building the vechicles on the Infiniti and Porsche sites with the options that I feel people would select. Yes, there are 2007 Cayman S's for 33,000 but, they start on auto trader for around $46,000. If I'm buying a used Porsche I would select the lowest mileage, documented and best condition vechicle I could find. With the repair costs of Porsche cars...going cheap in the long run is going to cost you way more.
You might have gotten the $78K right, but nobody buys a G35 Coupe for $58K. I just built one with nearly every option, and was at about $53K. I did skip the car cover and the airbag locking nuts. And there are numerous 2007 Cayman S's on Autotrader for well under $46K, they don't just start there. You might spend $46K on one using some unknown and unmentioned formula, but maybe you should post that major caveat when you give us a price, because they are available for far less than that.

Yes, I get pissy when people post incorrect information.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Maybe you're right about JD Power but you can't compare the reliability of a Porsche to an Infiniti. These cars aren't anywhere near to the same class. When you're talking reliability of a Porsche you have to compare it to Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, etc... Porsche is hands down the leader of reliability in the supercar class.
There's no maybe about it, JD Power is funded by the auto industry. And I don't have to compare the Porsche to anything because JD Power didn't segment it like that. Lincoln passed Porsche as the most reliable brand (per JD) in 2011, and there aren't any Lincolns in Porsche's class. Does anyone really think that Lincoln is more reliable than all of the Japanese brands? Or that Porsche was? Consumer Reports, an unbiased source, certainly doesn't think so. Neither does any other unbiased source.

And while Porsche might be the most reliable in the supercar class, that's a very relative term and doesn't mean it's actually reliable. The Nissan Leaf might be the fastest car in the all-electric class, but that doesn't make it fast. Sorry, Porsches are very expensive to own, primarily because they aren't that reliable regardless of class, and repairs are horrendously expensive.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I just gave you the caveat for selecting $40,000 as a high middle price for a used Cayman. I would not low ball a used Cayman. As a matter of fact I wouldn't buy a used Cayman I would buy a new one. When Porsche released the Cayman R they sent me a hardbound promotional book in a vinyl portfolio inviting me to come to the local dealer for a preview and test drive. OK, so now we're talking about a difference of $25,000 instead of the $20,000 I quoted. Sorry but $5,000 is an insignificant amount of money when you purchase $70,000 dollar cars. I can see that something meaningless might make you pissy. Being right all the time must be difficult.

Last edited by BlkCoupe; 08-12-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
The Cayman is very cool but I'd rather put together something more unique like a mid '50s Speedster with a late model 6 and flared wheel wells with lots of rubber for the curves. A major fund ride that would be unlike any other Porsche on the street....
Gary

Old 08-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
wow that white 1 looks amazing !

Old 08-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, Porsches are very expensive to own, primarily because they aren't that reliable regardless of class, and repairs are horrendously expensive.
Expensive to own compared to nissans but not compared to other supercars like Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, etc.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I really don't feel Porsche is up there with the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, and etcetera. More like a class in between Infiniti, Lexus, BMW and Ferrari, Lambo etc...

Old 08-14-2011, 12:00 AM
I just gave you the caveat for selecting $40,000 as a high middle price for a used Cayman. I would not low ball a used Cayman. As a matter of fact I wouldn't buy a used Cayman I would buy a new one. When Porsche released the Cayman R they sent me a hardbound promotional book in a vinyl portfolio inviting me to come to the local dealer for a preview and test drive. OK, so now we're talking about a difference of $25,000 instead of the $20,000 I quoted. Sorry but $5,000 is an insignificant amount of money when you purchase $70,000 dollar cars. I can see that something meaningless might make you pissy. Being right all the time must be difficult.
I wasn't pissy about $5K, I was merely pointing out that NONE of your numbers were accurate. And you didn't say $40K, you said $46K. And I'm not right all the time, nor do I think I am, but you weren't right with anything you said. There's no point in arguing with you because you keep moving the goalposts. First you say "they start at $46K", then you say "$40K as a high middle price". Make up your mind.

And nobody really cares what you'd pay for a car or that you wouldn't buy a used Cayman. Thinking your **** doesn't stink must be difficult.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about the Cayman S?