G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Scammer Alert??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Again, total scam.

They send you payment more than the item price, "so you can pay their mechanic/transporter from that payment". Then their method of payment whatever it is, bounces and you're out the item, fees for bounced checks and whatever cash you gave their transporter/mechanic.

See if you can get some sort of address from them before giving them yours. Once they give you an address, have yours about 20-30 miles from theirs, and pick the address of a police station, soup kitchen, or other amusing location for them to drive to. An hour out of their day running a fool's errand is an hour they're not scamming another guy.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by orion71483
Hey guys and gals,

I've been trying to sell some rims and tires for a while but haven't been able to, then I found out my folks put them up for sale on craigslist and already got a positive response from some one. Now I'm stoaked on the fact that some one wants to buy my stuff, however the e-mail this person sent seems odd to me

"Hi,thanks for the response on the item but my work schedule is keeping me too busy as i work as an air Hostess for Delta Airline.I would have loved to come in person,but due to the nature of my work. I won't be able to. I wish to let you know that I'm satisfied with the condition. Like I said there's no doubt I'm gonna purchase it. Therefore I want you to consider it sold by withdrawing the advert from Craigslist.org

Note: That you will not be responsible for shipping and handling. The shipment will be arrange by my private transporters and mechanic after you receive your payment. Kindly provide me your name and full address where item will be pick up, so i can forward it to the shipping company to calculate the cost of pick up and delivery to my address thanks...

Hope to hear back from you asap."

Now am I crazy to think that this seems fishy? I'm not really sure how to ask them to meet up with out losing the sale, but then again if they get pissed and walk, they might have been up to something since the beginning huh?

Any advice?
It is absolutely, positively a scam. I put some tires up on Craigslist a few years ago and got a nearly identical reply. Love the item, definitely want to buy it, but mysteriously are unavailable to pick it up. The tires I had were a somewhat obscure size (235/60-18) and only fit a few makes and models, so to have someone automatically want them threw up a big red flag for me.

The research I did said what they do is send you a cashier's check and then a shipping company comes to your house and picks up the item for sale. What you don't realize is that the cashier's check, which is really just like any other check, i.e. a bank has to cash it, turns out to be fraudulent. You may initially have the money appearing in your account, but once your bank can't trace it back to the issuing bank, they'll pull the money back out leaving you with no money and no tires.

I replied to their e-mail and said I'd be happy to make the deal, but they'd have to wait a few weeks for the check to clear before I'd allow them to pick them up. Surprisingly, I never heard back from them. And sorry if this has already been said here. I wanted to reply quickly so I haven't read the thread completely.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
http://www.419eater.com/

'nuff said. Hours of entertainment there. If you are bored you can have some fun with them, see what they've done in the photo galleries and forums.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by konxeptionz
Don't go by yourself either. Bring a friend or two with you.

Same thing almost happened to me when someone wanted to buy my Civic. Some very shady lookin people showed up at the meet spot. Thank goodness I had my brother and some friends with me or I would have gotten fkd up pretty badly.

Make sure the place is also public, somewhere in the wide open area. Don't meet in some back woods place where you can put yourself at greater risk.
+ 1..I always do the above.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if they give you a money order/cashier's check....those can be faked and normally are a scam to begin with. Reason being is that it takes time for the checks to clear and by that time; you have already sent the stuff to the potential buyer AND when the check comes back...you are stuck with the fees for the OD.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/craigsl...rder_scam.html

Old 08-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 def a scam I always get these kind of emails when I list anything on cl