The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Do you buy from dealers or private parties?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you buy from dealers or private parties?

Hey Guys,

I'm curious to hear how people buy their cars. Do you prefer to buy from dealers or do you only buy from private parties? Just wondering if enthusiasts have different preferences than the general population.

I bought my current g35 from a non-factory dealer, but all my previous cars have been from private parties. Myself I dont really have a preference, just prefer to find the best deal... how about you guys?

Old 09-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
I look at price and if dealer will negotiate down to trade in values or auction values then I go there. If I can get private party to negotiate down really low then I will give that a preference. I also keep in mind condition of vehicle, maintenance and any sort of warranties that are available via transferring in private party transaction or purchasing through the dealer and negotiating price accordingly. Price, Quality, reliability and availability are factors to consider when deciding where to buy from.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
You can definetly find better prices by going private party...primarily because you save yourself from all those dealer fees and bs add-ons. But at the same time, you have a certain sense of re-assurance when buying from most dealers...the vehicle has usually undergone an inspection, and things have been corrected or repaired before they sell it. Most dealers will send vehicles which are not up to par straight to auction in order to save themselves from the hassle of spending too much on it or risking a buyer coming back with it (and a lawsuit). So I think in that sense, you're more likely to get a better vehicle from a dealer, AND if something was to happen, they're more likely to fix it or attempt to make it right. When you buy private party, you're pretty much screwed.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought my G from a private party for a good deal and was able to talk him down because the tires needed to be replaced soon after. Always get the car you're looking at inspected by a local mechanic.

The first G I looked at from a dealer ended up having a blown shock, and had repairs done to the quarter panel and bumper. He said they were repaired excellently, but when the dealer says it is in exceptional condition that kinda ruins the value of the car.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely distinguish between the used cars at new car stores and stores that just sell used cars. New car dealers generally wholesale (or sweep off to their used-only stores) anything that has a Carfax issue or any mechanical/maintenance issues whatsoever.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
i bought it from the dealer cuz i wanted to get the maintenance services and such

Old 09-27-2011, 04:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought my G from an Infiniti dealership. The main selling point was the fact it had been tested for the OC problem and had all service records from the previous owner, which were done at the dealership. Within 4k miles of owning it, I noticed the synchros acting up so the dealership replaced the transmission under warranty (about 1,200 miles left under the 70k mile powertrain warranty).

Overall, I feel safer buying from a dealership despite the fees and usual higher cost (I paid $19,900 out the door for an 05 6MT coupe with 64k miles). Buying from a private party can be a great deal but it's somewhat of a gamble (hell, buying used is a gamble period).

Old 09-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I bought mine from a dealer that does only off-lease cars. While not a franchise dealer, I assume more risk.

But I'm just not comfortable buying from a private individual. My perception of people isn't stellar, primarily because I know myself

Old 09-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
bought mine from carmax because it was the only low miles 6mt I could find.

I would only buy from a private seller If I knew them, ether from online or RL and knew they were an enthusiast that took good care of it.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Bought mine certified from an Infiniti dealer.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
^+1. The extra money paid for my peace of mind

Old 09-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
I will never buy from private party.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
+2 for Wannabe's comment. I had a dealer buy mine from an Infiniti auction. Got to pick exactly what I wanted and paid under Blue Book for it (they had a guaranteed sale and didn't need to keep it on their lot). Even if I don't get a CPO next time, I may go this route again. You know what kind of car you're getting and you know exactly what you're going to pay for it.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 Sport Sedan 6MT
djc225, same for me, I prefer the best car for the best or at least fair price. I've only bought three cars including my G, however, I've bought both privately and from dealers, as well as helped friends and family with their purchases from both private and dealer.

I used to think it was safer to buy from a dealer but after a few years of seeing how little sales people often know about the product they're selling, and how work in some service departments can be done, or rather not done correctly, you're better off to still look into it as much as you can if you want peace of mind. Granted if it's a totally raw deal you can often return the car for your money in a limited period of time, so there's at least that. I've had a few experiences with high pressure sales, issues with a car where they seemed ignorant about problems I noticed, as well as poor communication and incompetence in dealer service departments, that it's taught me to fend for myself and educate myself more. On a private sale you can look into a car just as thoroughly, and have just as much confidence, even more if you using a mechanic that you know.

One thing I've noticed the last few years are dealers being less willing to reduce or waive their fees, as it's generally accepted to be a method of making more profit on top of the profit that's already built into the price. Phil Edmondson of Lemon Aid (http://lemonaidcars.com) has been recommending for years to never pay these fees, but in a recent vehicle purchase said he couldn't get the dealer to waive the fee. Most of the services they mention such as Car Fax and other checking services cost significantly less than what they claim. I think they've wised up to this and banded together to make it next to impossible to get fees waived.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Wow, you've received lots of replys. If I were to buy a used G35 for example and it was in beautiful (mint) condition with low mileage, had service records and had never been in an accident I wouldn't have issues buying from a private party. You may never see this type of G on a dealership lot cause the employees generally grab them!
Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you buy from dealers or private parties?