G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Oil consumption at 87k miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oil consumption at 87k miles?

I've got an 06 6MT coupe that I bought used with 75k miles on it about 14 months ago. I have the complete service records for it, all through Infiniti. It now has 87k miles on it

It never had the oil consumption issue. I change the oil about every 3500-4000 miles. The car gets pretty light use. I've checked the oil periodically and it has always been fine. The mechanic has never reported a low volume when it was changed.

The car drives great. No leaks. No smoke under acceleration.

But, I had the oil changed a few days ago and the guy said it only drained out about 3 quarts.

What are the odds that this car would develop the well known oil consumption issue at 87k miles? Or maybe it is just showing its age? I've had a lot of Nissans and none have ever burned oil even at over 150k miles.

I'll check the oil frequently now of course, but the bad thing is that I'm going to be taking it to the track next weekend and it is going to be spending a lot of time up around 7k rpm. I'll check the oil after each run but if it has got bad rings I'm guessing a track day will expose any potential issues.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My burns oil. A 1 to 2 quarts every oil change. Just add oil. been doing it for awhile now. Car doesn't smoke doesn't drive funky, just burns oil. Something i got to live with until i get rid of her.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Mine started consuming oil at 99k. The car has been meticulously maintained throughout its lifetime and oil has been changed every 2500-3000 miles. Its hit or miss with these engines.

Im just going to build a long block and swap it in.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:28 PM
...btw, I have an 04 6mt sedan.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:58 PM
N80
I just hope I don't kill it at the track.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
U guys r using synthetic oil right? I saw mobile oil n it says you don't have to change the oil for 15k miles.....what u guys think bout that

Old 10-15-2011, 07:09 PM
N80
If you're losing 2 quarts of oil every 3000 miles it probably does not make sense to put in synthetic oil. That's pretty expensive stuff to be sending out the tail pipe.

However, it just so happens that I did put Mobil 1 in there this time because I was going to the track. Never used synthetic before now.

And by the way, some people say that synthetic will leak around seals in high mileage cars but it is a myth according to Mobil and they make one of their synthetic formulations just for high mileage cars.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:14 PM
I have used synthetic the entire life of the car. I dont care who claims that you can go extended intervals, I change my oil every 2.5-3k.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:17 PM
N80
Originally Posted by PAIXAO
I have used synthetic the entire life of the car. I dont care who claims that you can go extended intervals, I change my oil every 2.5-3k.
One of the prime reasons for using synthetic is extended intervals. Of course, they are not 'extended' intervals, they are the recommended intervals for that type of oil. Using the same logic you'd change non-synthetic oil every 750 miles.

Nothing wrong with changing oil more frequently than recommended but you're dumping out a lot of perfectly good oil (and expensive too, especially if you're paying someone else to do it) and not gaining any measurable improvement in viscosity or engine wear. But, its your car and your money.

In fact, most people don't need to change ANY type of oil every 3500 miles. That is the recommendation for heavy use. The regular use maintenance schedule recommends oil change every 7500 miles. The dealerships and quick-lube places has foisted the idea that every car needs an oil change every 3500 miles purely for profit reasons and the criteria for heavy use are vague enough that most people think they need that interval. It is a racket and has nothing to do with the composition or breakdown properties of any proper motor oil.

I change every 3500 on my coupe mostly because I don't know how hard it was used before I bought it and I do have a short 4 mile commute which I make 4 times a day. On my other vehicles, including my 07 G35x I change at around 5000 miles. Prior to having these two cars I changed all my other vehicles at 7500, and I've owned 11 or more, and I've attained high mileage on all of them. None ever had an oil related problem, not even my 76 Jeep Cherokee which may be the worst vehicle ever made.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:32 PM
I get my oil and filters for free.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:43 PM
N80
Originally Posted by PAIXAO
I get my oil and filters for free.
Then you should change it much more often.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:50 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
N80 I wouldn't worry. I change my oil every 5000K miles and used to freak out because it seemed I only got around 3.5 qts that went back into the oil jug after I filled the car with new. After I thought about it for a bit I realized there was still some oil in the drain pan and a decent amount still in the filter. I use the larger filters for the M45 so I'm guessing there is at least 1/4 qt in there between what the filter media has soaked up and what's just hanging out.

The most important way to check your oil is with the dipstick every few weeks. I use the 5+ qt jugs and with the larger filter it comes to the top of the full line on the DS after each oil change. Usually when I replace the oil, the level is just above the empty line and after I change it the oil is beautiful and clear so I know I'm not leaving any in the engine.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:52 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
N80 I wouldn't worry. I change my oil every 5000K miles and used to freak out because it seemed I only got around 3.5 qts that went back into the oil jug after I filled the car with new. After I thought about it for a bit I realized there was still some oil in the drain pan and a decent amount still in the filter. I use the larger filters for the M45 so I'm guessing there is at least 1/4 qt in there between what the filter media has soaked up and what's just hanging out.

The most important way to check your oil is with the dipstick every few weeks. I use the 5+ qt jugs and with the larger filter it comes to the top of the full line on the DS after each oil change. Usually when I replace the oil, the level is just above the empty line and after I change it the oil is beautiful and clear so I know I'm not leaving any in the engine. 05 Sedan 5AT w/97K miles and I only use synthetic, have been since I bought the car with 46K.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 AM
N80
Originally Posted by Blue Dream

The most important way to check your oil is with the dipstick every few weeks. I use the 5+ qt jugs and with the larger filter it comes to the top of the full line on the DS after each oil change. Usually when I replace the oil, the level is just above the empty line and after I change it the oil is beautiful and clear so I know I'm not leaving any in the engine. 05 Sedan 5AT w/97K miles and I only use synthetic, have been since I bought the car with 46K.
Thanks.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It never had the oil consumption issue. I change the oil about every 3500-4000 miles. But, I had the oil changed a few days ago and the guy said it only drained out about 3 quarts.

I'll check the oil frequently now of course,
YOU SAID ALL OF ABOVE
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
the keynote here is I NOW CHECK THE OIL!

we get several of these messages every week...drivers will not check their oil until the engine starts to knock....some have actually mentioned here that when knocking starts they do not know why the oil level does not show on the dipstick.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption at 87k miles?