The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

VDC voodoo and track use (long).

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
I track my TT G (got my NASA TT license) with sticky R-comp tires, and I do so with the VDC off. No problems with it interfering, as long as it is off.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:46 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by caelric
I track my TT G (got my NASA TT license) with sticky R-comp tires, and I do so with the VDC off. No problems with it interfering, as long as it is off.

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I feel like a doofus for driving with it on. It will be off the whole time next track day.

I drove with NASA-SE. Which region are you in?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
There's no need to feel like a doofus for leaving VDC on, it does take the edge off all the stuff you have to keep in mind if you want to focus on something else, you're probably just not going to turn your fastest laps with it enabled. It's great on a rainy track day, for instance, and you can practice driving as smoothly as you can without setting it off. VDC reacts to sudden changes in car motion, if you're smooth, you can get the car sideways and the VDC won't care, since there were no unpredictable motion changes!

You should hold off on getting track rubber for a while, in my opinion. Street tires are much more communicative at the limit, making it easier to learn what to do at the limit, once you've done that, move up to track tires, where everything will happen more suddenly and with less margin of error. As your car gets faster, it doesn't get any easier to drive

I made the mistake of starting with very aggressive R-comp tires (Yoko A048's) since they came with the car, and it definitely hampered my learning, since the limit is so high, I was afraid to approach it for fear of messing up at those high speeds and forces.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:12 PM
N80
That's what all the instructors have told me too. Learn on street tires, move up to track tires when you need them for the performance.

And I will say that the Hankooks give good feedback. You can hear them as they approach the limit and past the limit they seem to let go in small increments rather than suddenly and all at once. I only got sideways once and I felt it coming and was able to get it straight easily.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
NASA Rocky Mountain, now in NASA Central, but I have not ran any days with NASA Central. Been too busy

Old 11-09-2011, 07:47 PM
N80
Originally Posted by caelric
NASA Rocky Mountain, now in NASA Central, but I have not ran any days with NASA Central. Been too busy
Yep. Seems I have more trouble coming up with the time than the money.

Marcinr, I'm going to go off topic on my own thread but if you don't mind would you answer a few questions about your Elise? I'm kind of looking down the road, 2-3 years, at what my next car might be. I've been thinking about a Caymen S. Looking on the internet, 4-5 year old Elises are not horribly expensive and most of them have extraordinarily low miles.

1) Will I fit in it? I'm 6'4". I just barely fit in my G coupe with a helmet on. And you can't run down to a local dealership or used car lot to try one on.
2) How miserable is it to drive around town. It would be my work commuter (10 minutes each way).
3) Is there storage under the hood (front)?
4) Who makes the engine? Is it Toyota? How hard is it to find someone who can repair it? (I'd probably buy one that is at least 5 years old). It would be a big plus if it service was easier and cheaper than a Porsche.
5) Is the engine turbo-charged?
6) What are the top configurations like. A lot of the ones I see look like they have a soft targa top. Is there a strictly hard top model (coupe)?
7) Are these deathtraps in regard to highway use/crashes?

This is just pure speculation on my part as far as buying one, but every purchase starts with a feasibility study. If I can't fit in one then speculation over. Thanks.

Edited to change Exige to Elise.

Last edited by N80; 11-09-2011 at 08:05 PM.