The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Genesis R-spec numbers....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Genesis R-spec numbers....

Got an email last night for the Genesis R-spec.

Claims of 348HP on premium / 344HP on regular. Our engines lose 5% or more on regular vs. premium.

First, glad they got the numbers. Competition to the Nismo and IPL lines is always good.

Second, I'm curious how they are able to maintain power on less octane.

Last edited by jstudrawa; 02-06-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The new Gen Coupe is going to be a fantastic car if they keep the price similar to the 09-12 model years. I wish they wouldn't have screwed up the front of it though...

Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
The best thing about a Genesis is if you wait a year you can get a used one for 1/2 the inital cost because the re-sale is brutal. I know a few local guys that got stuck with them because they couldn't even get offers on a used Genesis.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Hyundai, yuck. Ofcourse they made it so it could run on regular unleaded...they're target consumer population would have a major problem with spending the extra .30/gallon on premium. lol It's like the Neon SRT4.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhambor
Hyundai, yuck. Ofcourse they made it so it could run on regular unleaded...they're target consumer population would have a major problem with spending the extra .30/gallon on premium. lol It's like the Neon SRT4.
So because the Genesis can get more power on regular than a G37 can on premium means they suck? I would love to save .30/gallon and lose 4hp in my G if I could.

Hating on a brand that is putting out some great cars (not great for a Hyundai, great period) because of the badge is pretty low. At one point people considered Infiniti a joke compared to other brands, and look at them now

Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 2013 genesis is gonna **** on us. 5 liter v8 with 440 something hp and 350 something tq. Oh boy lol! 4200 pounds though 😒

Old 02-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
wow wtf happened at nissan man did they think ppl who like infiniti's dont like to go fast.... im talking about pre ipl but would it have been that hard to put the m45 powerplant into the g chassie???/ i would have got one in a hartbeat..... i thnk thats how the topsecret 350gt is setup right??/

Old 02-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by B FIFE22
So because the Genesis can get more power on regular than a G37 can on premium means they suck? I would love to save .30/gallon and lose 4hp in my G if I could.

Hating on a brand that is putting out some great cars (not great for a Hyundai, great period) because of the badge is pretty low. At one point people considered Infiniti a joke compared to other brands, and look at them now
I don't think it's low at all to hate on a car because of it's brand...we all have our preferences on what we want/choose to drive. Hyundai could make a 500hp full blown sports car for $20k and I wouldn't want it. Performance numbers aren't everything to me (if they were I wouldn't own an Infiniti), there are alot of other factors that should be taken into consideration when purchasing a car rather than simply jumping onto the next "cheap" car that puts up decent numbers. Factors such as resale value, long-term dependability, build quality, etc are things I'd rank as, if not more, important as overall performance. There are tons of cars out there that put up great numbers but I wouldn't want to own because of these other factors. I'm lucky enough to have pulled apart alot these cars in a past career...and it quickly becomes apparent what a car with impressive performance but a cheap price tag is lacking in order to keep that cost down. To each his own.

If you're so stuck on performance vs. dollar, screw the Genesis R-Spec. You might as well get yourself a V6 Mustang, you'll save about $5k and easily pull over 1/2 second faster 0-60.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The hyundai argument doesnt really hold water anymore sorry. Pretty sure they have won alot more awards than nissan has over he past 5 years. I think of them as a completely different company that wat they were 10 yrs ago. Hell my 2000 tiburon was serviced less than my g has. But keep on hating my man you and your former career know better than everyone in the auto industry

Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by selyorsoul2roll
The hyundai argument doesnt really hold water anymore sorry. Pretty sure they have won alot more awards than nissan has over he past 5 years. I think of them as a completely different company that wat they were 10 yrs ago. Hell my 2000 tiburon was serviced less than my g has. But keep on hating my man you and your former career know better than everyone in the auto industry

Everyone in the auto industry knows what a great car Hyundai is? Go buy a Hyundai again then smart guy.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
^... Not sure what your point is but Hyundais are great, reliable cars... Why do you see so many old elentras from the 90s on the road... And I completely agree I am not sure how they are able to maintain those HP numbers while reducing the octane that significantly.. Does not make sense to me.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
If you've ever noticed the highly positive Hyundai reviews always include the phrase "for the price" or something similar. Hyundai can't be doing anything magical here. They are cutting corners somewhere. You truely only get what you pay for. I don't understand the argument here. If you think Hyundai's are great cars then just go buy one. The Hyundai coupe is a product of the success of the G35 which was first to the marketplace. Hyundai then released their copy of the G35. If you take a close look at every Hyundai model you will find another car the styling was copied from.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhambor
Everyone in the auto industry knows what a great car Hyundai is? Go buy a Hyundai again then smart guy.
You make it sound like thats a bad thing. All im saying is your list doesnt hold much of an argument here. They are reliable and build quality good asto well. Some people will never change thier views though. The bmw and audi people think the same about you buying a nissan but im sure they are wrong too. And what a stupid comment if you likeit so much go buy one. I really like the 335, i dont have to buy it to like it do i?

Old 02-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by selyorsoul2roll
I agree, but there is a caveat here.

There are rules to winning awards, and some include it having to be a new model or drastic change. Nissan has a good formula, and they are sticking with it.

Hyundai is releasing new models so fast, we don't a lot of miles on some of them. Like the 2.0T they have, is it as good as Audi's? Hell, IS it Audi's? Our V6 has been around for decades in one form or another.

Time will tell, but they are definitely growing up. Very good for them, and for the consumer.

I would also love to use regular gas and only lose 4HP. All ****ing day long!

Old 02-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I have to jump in here too. Build quality for the Hyundai line has improved so much, it's like night and day compared to their former image. Kia has done the same. More aggressive styling, extra horsepower in compact motors and maintains great gas mileage. Interiors aren't as plastic. Fit and form flows well on both product lines.

I remember reading an article a few months back about the Genesis V8 car compared to, I want to say BMW and one other top line car. With options compared side by side, the Genesis was nearly $40K less than the competitor in the article. Now they had their opinions about some fitment and styling issues on the Hyundai vs. the others, but they pitted a HYUNDAI against some very nice luxury sport cars. That would have been laughable at best 10+ years ago to even consider writing the article.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Genesis R-spec numbers....