The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Genesis R-spec numbers....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
The Hyundai coupe is a product of the success of the G35 which was first to the marketplace. Hyundai then released their copy of the G35. If you take a close look at every Hyundai model you will find another car the styling was copied from.
Excellent point. Hyundai has not brought anything innovative or new to the table. They've taken the tried and true methods, styling, and R&D from all the more successful and respected car manufacturers and tried to incorporate that into their own lineup.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by B FIFE22
The new Gen Coupe is going to be a fantastic car if they keep the price similar to the 09-12 model years. I wish they wouldn't have screwed up the front of it though...
Thought the same thing. I was like sesweet... oh damn it looks like a cheap *** Tiborun.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
badge matters

Originally Posted by GAU-8
I have to jump in here too. Build quality for the Hyundai line has improved so much, it's like night and day compared to their former image. Kia has done the same. More aggressive styling, extra horsepower in compact motors and maintains great gas mileage. Interiors aren't as plastic. Fit and form flows well on both product lines.

I remember reading an article a few months back about the Genesis V8 car compared to, I want to say BMW and one other top line car. With options compared side by side, the Genesis was nearly $40K less than the competitor in the article. Now they had their opinions about some fitment and styling issues on the Hyundai vs. the others, but they pitted a HYUNDAI against some very nice luxury sport cars. That would have been laughable at best 10+ years ago to even consider writing the article.
Hyundai. Mitsubishi Kia have made the same misstep. Unlike Toyota. Nissan and Honda, they did not create a premium brand branch.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I think they toyed with the idea for a spell. FWIW, the new Equus is their luxury brand in Korea. It falls under the Hyundai Manufacturing (I believe). Had they stepped in to the luxury arena in America with the Equus 10 years ago, I feel they wouldn't be as far as they are now. The Equus was still a poorly manufactured car back then. I guess it's too late to right a wrong like this.

I would have to go on record as stating that I would consider a Genesis sedan 4.6 or even the new R-spec if the price was right. I know they borrow a lot of styling cues from other manufacturers as well as certain perks considered luxury elements in other brands. But hasn't practically every auto manufacturer done that at one time or another? Many of the features we find in American cars were standard features years before in European models. HID was for the wealthy and upper crust. Now dozens of models come with projector beam HIDs. Dual zone AC was put in Lincolns but not included in Fords (their own product lines, and just an example). Years later they took those innovations and made them standard features. I'm simply citing examples of how other companies "copy" others. I thought imitation was the greatest form of flattery. So if the Genesis boasts many features you would normally find only on luxury sport models, yet they can do it for less money, then those companies they coppied have a couple choices. Make their luxury features more affordable to compete in a lower price point or be impressed that they did it before everyone else did.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^I agree, many/most automakers take the successes of others and try to replicate. Just take a lot at how many redesigned 2012 cars have integrated LED DRLs like Audi. That doesnt necessarily make the change good or bad (of course it always comes down to personal opinion) but its painfully obvious that Audi sparked that trend for better or worse.

Hyundai has definitely come a long way though. Even if their version of sports-luxury sedan is a rip off of the Infiniti's, BMWs, and Audis that came before it, they are doing a pretty good job at making copies at a lower cost. Afterall, its all about sales for them.... if consumers wanted to buy a $25k refirgerator box on 10-inch wheels and a square steering wheel then thats what EVERYBODY would be building... instead of just Volvo

Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
You will be very hard pressed to find a BMW that looks like an Audi that looks like a Mercedes. Do automakers share an evolutionary process i.e. Hids. leds, etc. sure. I have no problem with Hyundai. As long as your aware of what you're buying and are happy with it fine.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhambor
Excellent point. Hyundai has not brought anything innovative or new to the table. They've taken the tried and true methods, styling, and R&D from all the more successful and respected car manufacturers and tried to incorporate that into their own lineup.

Also the whole motor from the current 2.0t is mitsu's 4B11 motor out of the Evo

a buddy of mine has one, and hes put 15k on it so far without a single problem