The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What did you do to the G today?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Is that a pulley delete or something?
Lightweight crank pulley. Z1 Crank Pulley bruhh

Old 03-22-2017, 06:30 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
I'll bump Scragglerocks' suspension post when the time is right showing the work necessary and the snags I ran into. Finding I had a bad rear wheel bearing threw a wrench into my plans. Car has been floating for about 7 days now, and I have the luxury of a few extra cars so no biggie with down time FOR ME.

Diff bushings in the diff ears aren't so bad, it's the subframe bushing that is sketchy. You pretty much have to cut it out of the sub frame while on the car with a saws all. There's a 350z writeup about it, I'll post about it later in the appropriate thread.
Yep, my mechanic was saying they sometimes have to burn the bushing out and then cut the collar. I don't think he was too excited to hear I wanted to do bushings...he suggested looking into just buying the oem pieces new to avoid the bushings

Old 03-23-2017, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice buy, start with it softer and slowly dial it up until you are comfortable with it.

Is that a pulley delete or something?
There's an option to get the idler pulley elimination kit for free when you purchase this crank pulley.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had a really bad screech, squeal, and clunk from my drivers window. I also found a Haynes manual for G35/350z while picking up some MAF cleaner the other day.

I popped off the door panel and found the retaining bolts (circled in red) were very loose and the left one wasn't even threaded in, it came out with the door panel. I tightened them back up and no more noise, I also cleaned the MAF which was a world of difference in throttle response, fuel economy, and vibration at idle.

Inside the door panel was a parking receipt from 2004

Old 03-24-2017, 08:22 PM
^^^Nice!! If you have a chance, get the throttle body and fuel system cleaned in addition to the MAF. My mechanic said my TB was a mess and once it was all cleaned the throttle response, idle etc was night and day.

Tonight she is sitting at the shop waiting to get a new JWT clutch and flywheel surface, clutch fluid flush tomorrow.

The big day will be a couple weeks from now when I get my Fortune Auto 500 coilovers and corner balance....that will bring everything together. I went with 10k/8k Swifts, not as firm as Whutch1, with extenders in the rear.

Then will come injectors, new drivers seatbelt and seatbelt buckles, radiator, fans and thermostat, black hose set, blackout grill and diffuser area and new rubber around the front windows...probably more, but that's all I can remember now.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
Thought about throwing my diff off a cliff today because the energy bushing was not well designed for the G35, even after the revision. It should not be round, the diff rear stud mount is NOT round... it is shaped like a U.

Had to call energy direct. Directions are way too vague.

So I reinstalled the diff today...

What did you do to the G today?-photo256.jpg

Old 03-25-2017, 06:19 AM
Oh man, that sucks!! I'm sure that was a lot of work. I don't know how they can screw something like that up when they've been offering that kit forever. Did they send an incorrect part or did they not even know the part was an improper fit? Maybe you're the first person to ever do the diff bushings

Last edited by JZ39; 03-25-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
Mine is the revised bushing. See the ones on eBay - those the "unrevised" option. Those are known to slip out of the subframe (eek!).

Not the first, I emailed one of their tech guys and he told me I need to press the Fv*k out of the bushing, and it got it close, but not perfect. Still felt sketchy going in.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today I did plugs and a Z1 plenum spacer. It was fun to watch the idle relearn as I drove around. It idled at 600 right after the install and was back to normal after 30 minutes of driving. The jury is still out on my butt dyno.

My #5 spark plug had the dreaded oil leak. My G has 120k miles on it... Should I even worry about the bad valve cover seal? Is it worth the trouble to fix for just one spark plug? I'm leaning towards not addressing it at the moment, but I'm open to opinions.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:20 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by RC_Velox
Today I did plugs and a Z1 plenum spacer. It was fun to watch the idle relearn as I drove around. It idled at 600 right after the install and was back to normal after 30 minutes of driving. The jury is still out on my butt dyno.

My #5 spark plug had the dreaded oil leak. My G has 120k miles on it... Should I even worry about the bad valve cover seal? Is it worth the trouble to fix for just one spark plug? I'm leaning towards not addressing it at the moment, but I'm open to opinions.
You should try sealing the gap with some RTV for a temp - possibly permanent - fix. I did this on my previous engine and never had oil back in the plug wells.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:46 PM
Just got my car back with a new JWT clutch, new flywheel surface, upgraded pivot ball and clutch fluid change.

So, the 2017 version of the JWT clutch feels TOTALLY different than the circa 2005 version. The new clutch catches very early upon release of the clutch pedal (which I love--makes the car feel faster with the low catch) and almost no matter how you shift, the engagement is incredibly smooth. Even when I was trying to let up abruptly it somehow still caught smoothly.

It's also much easier engaging on downshifts, especially when testing it going from 2-1 it engages very smoothly compared to the older version.

Lastly, the clutch pedal is super light. The 2005 version was lighter than the oem pedal feel and this one is almost like it's on a 4 cylinder car with a low clamping force clutch--it's really light, perhaps even a bit too light, but I'm sure I'll get used to that. It just doesn't feel like it can possibly be a 1200kg clutch! I really want to drop it from a launch to prove to myself that it will hold because it just feels too light.

Will do the transmission fluid in the coming week or so to finish off this part of the project.

I'll need a little more seat time and to get the summer wheels/tires back on to give it a thorough evaluation, but I will say that I'm quite surprised at how overall different this clutch feels than the "same" one back in 2005. I'd be interested to know what they changed along the way.

Last edited by JZ39; 03-26-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:15 PM
BTW, my old JWT clutch had 125000 miles on it and still worked fine. These are good clutches.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
You should try sealing the gap with some RTV for a temp - possibly permanent - fix. I did this on my previous engine and never had oil back in the plug wells.
+1

When I used to work for an Infiniti dealer one of the tech's said I had a leak in cyl #5.

He said the real fix was new valve covers but mentioned he could try to re-seal it with a silicone while the covers were off to do the valve cover gaskets, although there were no guarantees of how long it would last or how effective it would be.

I'm sure the valve cover gaskets leaking on both banks didn't do the valve cover seal leak any favors but either way, it's nearly a full calendar year since the repair and I have not noticed any issues. I plan on at least inspecting if not replacing the coil packs in the future and I will pull the plug to see how it looks.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
SLICK'S in Exclusive Auto body Valencia having some quality corrections to the work done installing my duck bill trunk lid and rear bumper from the last (less than quality) body shop! While she's there the front bumper took a hit from a rock that glanced off my grille, they're both being stripped and repainted. She went in Monday, with luck she'll be back in my garage by Saturday or Monday...job done perfectly is all I really care about!
Gary
It's been a long week without SLICK, I get her back from the body shop tomorrow. Cleaned the garage floor/driveway with Muriatic acid, like new! Not having SLICK in my garage has given me a chance and the room to work on my Wife's Corvette! Amazing how well boredom can make a car look, don't believe the Vette has looked this good ever...
Gary

Old 03-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Drove 5 hours to Atlanta for Import Alliance, 580 mile round trip. Had a blast, right until I got back to my apt and ran over and ENTIRE deer laying in the middle of the road. Hoping I didn't break anything, I don't have a jack so I have to wait for a friend to check it out. Its always something...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the G today?