View Poll Results: What should I do?
Keep the G and convert it to 6MT
42.31%
Sell it and buy a Mazdaspeed Miata
3.85%
Sell it and buy an S2000
53.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Convert to manual, S2K, or Mazdaspeed Miata?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Get the S2K

And lol at the guy saying S2K is a chick car

Old 05-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Sell auto G35 and buy a manual G35 BREAK EVEN

Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's **** like this, G35Driver, that makes me not participate in Z/G events, nor wish to identify with such a community, whether online or offline.

Originally Posted by AmateuRN
But any real man shouldn't care, eh?

Don't get your panties in a wad before OP does... it was meant to troll him, but I'm glad you bit as well. Have a soft spot for dudes in S2K's? Boyfriend drive one?
If you care more about how people look at you while driving it than how a car performs, no car will ever mask your insecurity.

Sell your car and buy a BMW. Your philosophy better matches their community.

Originally Posted by AARONHL
Sell auto G35 and buy a manual G35 BREAK EVEN
No.

The following users liked this post:
350GT_ (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
My choice w/b the S2K, that's a major fun car to drive but would it survive the Ghetto?
Gary
The G has done wonderfully in its habitat, which is street-parked a block from the projects (unless it's winter, when I put it in indoor heated storage).

Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghetto Jack
The G has done wonderfully in its habitat, which is street-parked a block from the projects (unless it's winter, when I put it in indoor heated storage).
That's good to hear Jack, I feel you should start looking for a S2K with low mileage and a clear CARFAX...."Good Luck!"
Gary

Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dominate
Whats the mileage on the G? And 14 mpg? That must be some really aggressive driving...
Im averaging like 12 right now but i need a tune REAL bad and my driving habits dont help.

Originally Posted by Ghetto Jack
105k. Bone stock, oil changed every 3k with Mobil 1 and an OEM Nissan filter. No oil consumption or other issues. And it's very, very aggressive. The way I see it, if we wanted to drive sensibly, we'd have all bought Lexus ES's instead, right?
+1000000000^

Originally Posted by totopo
I drive a 2005 g35 6mt sedan, and I've driven my brother's s2k some. I don't think the s2k is that much more tail happy than the g35. The s2k is more balanced to the rear, so I think it is true it is easier to get it to over rotate on breaking and corner entry, but I feel like since it's such a lighter car, and such a good chasis, it's easier to keep under control than the g35. A quick flick on the steering and squeeze the gas and the car drives like a go-kart. And it doesn't have too much torque, so it's easier to control throttle over too. The g35 (or maybe it's my worn out suspension), does understeer quite a bit more under corner entry, but i feel like the rear can snap out on you much quicker if you don't get on the gas right or if you lift.

I would say if you really are concerned about it being tail happy, why not consider the ap2 and leave the traction control on?
Id say the tendancy to understeer on corner entry is more due to the weight of the Gs and you are 100% right on the tail behavior ive been practicing for months to try and controll it well and im finally getting somewhat good at it and able to even do transitions while sliding. But under cornering without the suspension being setup in these cars and without exp can get dangerous really quick with the way the tail steps out so quick. Id say if its going to be a daily keep the G that trunk space is a must on a daily if its a track day car/ weekend car get the s2k.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Hmm... I say just skip the hassle of a manual conversion and find a manual one, or get an S2000. The S2000 should be reliable and will be extremely fun to drive, but of course the limited amount of space could pose as a problem to some. In any case, good luck!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
S2k no doubt. No way in hell would I spend the money on a tranny swap....it's expensive and no where's near as reliable as oem, regardless of how good the shop is that does it. Not to mention you'll never get an cent of it back in resale...you'll probably lose money from it actually. An S2k looks good and has a ton of potential...alot more than a G probably.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I was thinking about getting an S2K before I got the G but heard a lot of stuff about them being easily broken into/stolen. I don't know if that's true or not though.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by 350GT_
I was thinking about getting an S2K before I got the G but heard a lot of stuff about them being easily broken into/stolen. I don't know if that's true or not though.
The seats are popular targets for thieves.

Originally Posted by Jhambor
S2k no doubt. No way in hell would I spend the money on a tranny swap....it's expensive and no where's near as reliable as oem, regardless of how good the shop is that does it. Not to mention you'll never get an cent of it back in resale...you'll probably lose money from it actually. An S2k looks good and has a ton of potential...alot more than a G probably.
As far as the resale value, I don't really care. I want an emerald mist 6-speed sedan, and the factory didn't offer us such a thing. And frankly, the cost of a near-OEM-quality repaint (since no repaint ever is) would probably exceed the cost of the transmission swap.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Me personally, I've never been one to go through cars. I've only owned two previous cars (240SX and swapped Civic) and they were cars that I had my mind set on. I got t-boned in the 240 and my Civic was stolen (swapped, Type-R paint + suspension). Had it not been for those unfortunate events (yet in a way fortunate since I got the G) I'd still have them. I know how you feel about wanting to keep your car because it's YOURS rather than getting a whole new one that will never feel the same as this one.

If the car itself is much more meaningful to you and is in a way irreplaceable then go for it. If you're patient and the cost of the swap is something achievable then just give it time.

One of my ex friends went through about almost 30 B13 Sentra SE-Rs. Why? IDK. And he's just 26.

And about the S2K. If someone ever saw something valuable in the car that they wanted (a camera you forgot to hide, wallet, pack of cigs) all they'd have to do is cut the top, take what they want, and be gone.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Going from a VQ to a F20C needs a learning curve. You will complain about "lack of torque" if you drive the S2000 like you did on the G35.

If you drive the S2000 the fun way, you won't be happy about the mpg neither.

And if you drive the S2000 "properly", its one of the most rewarding car you can have for the money. Properly as in don't let the rpm dip under 6k.

If you like everything about the G but hate the transmission, why not sell it and get 6MT G instead of doing the conversion. Its going to be much cleaner and maybe the money out of pocket will be around the same.

I have no experience with the MS Miata, but this equation should be true: light weight + boosted 4 banger = fun

But let me just say the engine + transmission on the S2000 is a work of art. F20C has over 100hp/L for a NA engine and it was a big deal back then. And even now, not a lot of engine can do that without major $$$$.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by 350GT_
And about the S2K. If someone ever saw something valuable in the car that they wanted (a camera you forgot to hide, wallet, pack of cigs) all they'd have to do is cut the top, take what they want, and be gone.
To be honest, I don't think the soft top would make a difference. If someone saw something in your car they wanted they could bash your window in and easily take it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Convert to manual, S2K, or Mazdaspeed Miata?