The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Oil Consumption dilemma

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im really dissapointed....because I feel that I got screwed big time. I loved this car when I got it...now, I dont even want to drive it im so disgusted.

As soon as i got it i put new breakes and rotors on it....got the best winter tires from tirerack.com. I spent like $600 from the detailimage to detail it and keep it looking its best. This just sucks.

I'l never buy nissan or inifinit again...this car has 63,000 miles. Problems like this should not arise from such a "prestigious" auto maker.

Besides finacially....what are the downsides to just keeping it and monitoring the oil and filling as needed? I know its going to get really expensive, but are their any other downsides?

Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Put the conventional oil in. I did at 100k miles and will never switch back after my OC problem. Look for my thread titled "update on my oil consuming road *****"

FWIW, my brother works for Nissan and he sees cars come in all the time that have been diagnosed with oil consumption issues and still run to past 200k miles. Just keep an eye on it and live with it.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:05 PM
@paixao

exactly what brand of convention oil did you use? I will try it. Did it help the problem at all?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 PM
awesome...thanks a lot...I am going to try this my next oil change...at this point I have nothing to lose.

I wonder why conventional helps this issue over synthetic...I would figure it would be the opposite.

I will try the Castrol next oil change, and I will visit a few dealers to see what I can get for trade in value

@Paixo, i started reading your thread....so basically, the thing with oil consumption, is that it is just very annoying monitoring your oil, and can get a pricey with replacing the oil so frequently...but other than that...what are the other downsides? does it do longterm damage to the engine or any other part of the car? because by reading your thread, i see you are yet to do your engine project and are still going strong after switiching to conventional.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 PM
I've always kept an eye on my oil, so its always been a habit of mine anyways. Currently, I am still on 2000 mile oil and filter change intervals and I'm usually less than a quart low. I stopped topping my oil off between oil changes months ago.

I will probably change my spark plugs again at 130k.

To answer your question about damage, if the rings are too far shot you will experience compression loss and with that major blow by and power loss. Soon after that you will need a new motor. How soon or how long no one can really say.

FYI, my odo turned 124k miles today.

Last edited by PAIXAO; 07-26-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 PM
1 quart low on 2000 miles is not too bad at all....im 4 quarts low on 3500 miles.

Well my check engine light is still on, and i have to get that checked out. But as far as the noise I heard prior to the oil change, I dont hear any noise since I changed my oil yesterday. I do notice the car is a little more jerky, very minimal but I do feel it slightly.

I thought by doing my oil change the check engine light would go off, but it didnt. I just hope there isnt damage done. I hope its something simple.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:51 PM
isn't it bad to go from synthetic to conventional? don't you wanna go to a blended sythetic then conv?

Old 07-27-2012, 05:33 AM
Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by options13
isn't it bad to go from synthetic to conventional? don't you wanna go to a blended sythetic then conv?
Its bad to go from conventional to synthetic on higher mileage cars. It can cause leaks through gaskets and seals that never leaked before as the old sludge is cleaned out of the engine and the thinner synthetic oil finds its way through the cracks.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:00 AM
You can switch from synthetic to conventional oil and vice versa anytime you want. It's not bad for the motor at all. I would recommend using caution when switching from conventional to synthetic on some higher mileage motors and here's why:

The detergents which are found in synthetic motor oils are designed to remove gunk and oil deposits. Just be aware that when switching from conventional oil to synthetic oil in a higher mileage motor MAY result in leaks and oil burning as those detergents begin to clean off deposits which may have sealed any leaks.

I switched from conventional to synthetic oil on my 1992 Taurus SHO at 100k miles. I sold it with 190k miles on the odo and it never burned or leaked a drop. Knowing that the VQ35 has a tendency for oil consumption I would certainly not recommend switching from conventional to synthetic if the motor has only seen conventional oil its whole life.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by denny19
I'l never buy nissan or inifinit again...this car has 63,000 miles. Problems like this should not arise from such a "prestigious" auto maker.

Besides finacially....what are the downsides to just keeping it and monitoring the oil and filling as needed? I know its going to get really expensive, but are their any other downsides?
Whoa, easy killer. You can't write off a whole automaker because of one bad apple. My family has owned seven Nissans, only one had an OC issue.

Nissan isn't really a "prestigious" auto manufacturer. A good auto manufacturer? Maybe. Maserati is something more along the lines of prestigious, though.

Other things I'd watch for, though: Monitor your catalytic converters. Oil running through them can burn them out.

If you ever decide to get a new motor, try to get one out of a 5AT G coupe. They have fewer oil burning issues than the 6MTs for some reason.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM
use 5w30 and hopfully your not burning it

Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 PM
I've got a 2003 G35 Coupe. Although it is rarer for the 03-04's my engine did indeed have the oil consumption problem which I discovered at about 72k miles... a little too late for the engine warranty. And my engine made the same noises when the oil was low. The good news. As long as you check your oil levels on a weekly basis and add what is needed, the engine can possibly last you much longer than you would think. I didn't throw a ring (could have been a rod but I have not torn the engine apart yet) until I hit 168,000 miles on the engine! Not bad for having an engine with an OC problem. And to be honest I didn't baby the engine at all...I drive lets day "spirited" everyday. Yes, spending $7-9 on a quart of oil a week will eventually add up but what I am saying is that you probably have plenty of time to save up for another engine if that is what you want to do. I bought my engine from a company called LKQ, they specialize with working with insurance companies (my ex profession) but they are open to the general public. I bought an 04 engine with 100k miles for $1250 that came with a 6 month warranty and it does not have a OC problem. Even with an OC problem, in my experience, these are pretty damn good engines for what they are.

Last edited by 6MT G-STYLE; 07-27-2012 at 03:18 PM.