The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Totaled G35 on 95 North yesterday spin out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totaled G35 on 95 North yesterday spin out

Yesterday a G35 spun out and crashed into a center median. Sorry I never got a chance to take photos. Spoke to a local trooper and he thinks the guy was speeding. Looks like he was making a lane change and then the rear end spun out, but how fast he was going to spin out on a straight? Noob?

Trooper said, the car had really nice tires and lots of tread. I think when I passed by the accident area it was about 45o-53o and damp. Why would this happen? With sport tuned suspension and "good tires", how could a lane change cause the rear to spin out?? I driven a few Gs and never had any trouble except in sedan (lots of roll). I'm shocked a nice car like G coupe would crash like this. In a turn maybe bit straight? I had a G sliding around on the track with no issues. Perfect control. Seemed hard to make it slide out of control. You had to really WANT to. Even punching the gas while turning was not enough.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
quick steering ratios and stiff sidewalls could do it.

when I had t1rs the front end would move so quick it would unsettle the car with enough steering input.

Sounds like lots of impatience/inexperienced driver.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by AuAltima3.5
quick steering ratios and stiff sidewalls could do it.

when I had t1rs the front end would move so quick it would unsettle the car with enough steering input.

Sounds like lots of impatience/inexperienced driver.
Good points. BTW, the car is now at my local authorized highway tow shop. Tires say EVO V12s. Maybe they will let me check the PSI. I'm curious what PSI was in tires. "Now that is just down right NOSY!!". Well...I like to learn from others mistakes. I watch a LOTof crash videos!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
If you watch a lot of crash videos then you should know that no car, no matter how safe, is dumbass proof.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
That shouldn't be possible with a working VDC system. IMO, people turn it off for no good reason.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
hahhaahha

Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
He could have turned VDC off and fancied himself a race car driver. Even though VDC still kicks in after continuous tire slippage, he would have already spun once or twice before it kicked back in. So maybe he dropped into a low gear for a change, and just gave too much gas.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by EbbAndBlow
He could have turned VDC off and fancied himself a race car driver. Even though VDC still kicks in after continuous tire slippage, he would have already spun once or twice before it kicked back in. So maybe he dropped into a low gear for a change, and just gave too much gas.
How would VDC save you in a lane change? I thought it more for turns and starting out. I don't think a G has enough power to slip at 65MPH anyway. A slide at that speed would be from lateral drift. How could the computer cutting power help...UNLESS the guy is accelerating and does not let off so car car recover.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by visualfxpro
How would VDC save you in a lane change? I thought it more for turns and starting out. I don't think a G has enough power to slip at 65MPH anyway. A slide at that speed would be from lateral drift. How could the computer cutting power help...UNLESS the guy is accelerating and does not let off so car car recover.
Anytime you are putting lateral G-forces on tires, they have a chance to break away from the asphalt. Especially if they are traveling at higher speeds. It doesn't necessarily have to be because of the torque, he could have just jerked the wheel too hard one way to get into the lane next to him, then tried to overcorrect going the other way, and boom into the wall. Without VDC on, the car can't compensate for the stupidity and I'm assuming the guy isn't exactly Mario Andretti, with car control.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by visualfxpro
Good points. BTW, the car is now at my local authorized highway tow shop. Tires say EVO V12s.
:O I was just about to buy those Hankooks. Probably just an inexperienced driver though.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by canehdian_guy
:O I was just about to buy those Hankooks. Probably just an inexperienced driver though.
Yeah, I've been watching those tires too. I'm hearing they rock for the price in dry but suck in colder temperatures perhaps a little more than more expensive summer tires. Sounds like the tire to a blast in 70oF+ but don't even think about colder. The car I drove on track recently had V12s and I loved them at 73oF. They refused to slide out of control. They slid when pushed, but you had sooo much more room for error. I NEVER got them to feel scary when I pushed them. I did not do anything stupid, but I DID try to give it a little gas and stuff why sliding to see how they responded. Nothing. Apparently much cooler an they turn into killers. Classic get what you paid for.

No tires can save a moron though. lol

Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
My car did this exact same thing about a week ago when it was raining and I was changing lanes at about 60-65mph, but I kept it from hitting the car on the other lane. Scared the crap out of me, it had never done that before so I wasn't expecting it.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
simple. he just finished watching tokyo drift at his buddies house

Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by DKano
My car did this exact same thing about a week ago when it was raining and I was changing lanes at about 60-65mph, but I kept it from hitting the car on the other lane. Scared the crap out of me, it had never done that before so I wasn't expecting it.
What kind of tires and what PSI and tread condition?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Accident was likely caused by the driver doing something stupid! Just because these tires had good tread doesn't make them safe. You can buy tires with a UTQG of 600/800 but they're hard as bricks, hit a wet spot and you're gone....Gary

The following users liked this post:
johnnyd (10-10-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Totaled G35 on 95 North yesterday spin out