G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35 Hopeful

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Snip3r
iv had my 06 6mt coupe for about 3 years. here's the problems i've had:

-hood hinges seized, had to be replaced and fenders touched up (hood was scraping fenders when you open it) - $800.00 repair
-oil consumption problem - short block engine replaced on warranty
-local infiniti dealership wouldn't take me seriously as a client (i was 19), and told me oil consumption problem didn't exist and that it's "normal" to burn oil.
-dome light turns on by itself whenever i press brake (might not be due to car, iv had aftermarket electrical work done)
-although i didnt purchase the car for gas milage, i only get 19mpg combo of highway/city commuting
-my drivers seat squeeks everytime I press the clutch
-stupid seatbelt wont stay in the holder on the seat, everytime you take your seatbelt off it hits the door scratching the plastic
-if you want an aftermarket headunit in the car, it's an expensive dash kit (~$350)
-if you mod your car it's a hot police target because they're fairly flashy to begin with. there was a point when i got pulled over once a week for a "random inspection".

overall I like the car though. i don't know what else I would have bought in the 20-25k price range (when i bought it).

there's a lot of other problems I've heard of that I havn't ran into yet though.
HOOD HINGES ARE AN 800 DOLLAR FIX!? I have this same problem with the hood scraping and popping on the passenger fender when I open it. Not worth 800 to fix it though for a tiny chip in the paint.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blues3531
HOOD HINGES ARE AN 800 DOLLAR FIX!? I have this same problem with the hood scraping and popping on the passenger fender when I open it. Not worth 800 to fix it though for a tiny chip in the paint.
The hinges themselves were ~$300, then labor and tax. I got it done at a body shop because they touched up my paint and did a good job. Did I get completely screwed? Yes. Did I want it done properly? Yes.

Get it fixed before they completely seize. The guy at the shop said he saw a G with bad hinges and his hood was so off alignment and ****ed they could barely get it to open.. The hinges will only keep warping.

Last edited by Snip3r; 01-17-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Snip3r
The hinges themselves were ~$300, then labor and tax. I got it done at a body shop because they touched up my paint and did a good job. Did I get completely screwed? Yes. Did I want it done properly? Yes.

Get it fixed before they completely seize. The guy at the shop said he saw a G with bad hinges and his hood was so off alignment and ****ed they could barely get it to open.. The hinges will only keep warping.
Well crap. Mines prob just starting because I have a small mark on the paint and it pops when I open it. Nothing major yet but I'm def gonna have to wait to do that fix. I don't open my hood TOO often. Except for oil top offs and changes.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by blues3531
Well crap. Mines prob just starting because I have a small mark on the paint and it pops when I open it. Nothing major yet but I'm def gonna have to wait to do that fix. I don't open my hood TOO often. Except for oil top offs and changes.
same, until I really started to notice the alignment was messed. Here's what mine looked like when I first noticed it was off. I got it fixed a little bit after, but over time it kept getting worse and worse (scraping the passenger side fender as well)

Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 AM
I don't think you can get a '05+ model with $10-12k anyway, so you don't have to worry as much about the oil issue. Most of the problems are little things like window/lock motors and false fuel gauge readings which you can fix yourself.

If you're still worried, ever look at the RSX Type-S? I know it's practically a Civic, but its a bit more luxurious and was the car I was looking for before I got my coupe. 200-210HP on a light body, extremely reliable, can be made to look really nice with mods.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patH
I don't think you can get a '05+ model with $10-12k anyway, so you don't have to worry as much about the oil issue. Most of the problems are little things like window/lock motors and false fuel gauge readings which you can fix yourself.

If you're still worried, ever look at the RSX Type-S? I know it's practically a Civic, but its a bit more luxurious and was the car I was looking for before I got my coupe. 200-210HP on a light body, extremely reliable, can be made to look really nice with mods.
I would consider that car but I have been really looking for 6 cylinder and up and also rear wheel drive... If the RSX were rear or all-wheel drive it would be in consideration even tho it is a 4 banger.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
If you want something that is really fun to drive. Is inexpensive to own and has very few problems...how about a Mazda Miata. I bought mine new (December 1989) In the 23 years of owing this car,,,other than normal maintenance I have not had a single mechanical problem!! For your 10K-12K budget your should be able to find a good 1998-2006. Parts are plentiful and they are easy to work on.There are a ton of guys on the Miata Forums with 275 to 300+ miles on their NAs (1989-1997)

Last edited by BlkCoupe; 01-23-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by patH

+1 on the type-s

i was looking at them as well when I bought my g

Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here for the RSX type- s! But then I ran across a 2005 6mt for about a grand more so there was no way I was passing that up. The only problems I've run into are my power seat motors burning out which is not an easy or cheap fix but I'm used to the position the seats are in and have driven it that way for a year. And my power door locks stopped working too but again besides just having to use the key to unlock the door it's really not that big of a deal. And if I got off my lazy *** and did something about it I'm sure I could fix them without too much trouble. Over all I'm 100% happy with the G35! Even just driving to the store and back is more fun in a G so I would go for it if I was you. And with this forum you can find advice on fixing pretty much anything that can go wrong with your car. Good luck!