The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Starting My 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Starting My 6MT

might not be the right place, im not sure were you would put this but mods feel free.. Today I got in my car, and my car turned over without the need of the clutch being pushed in.. i am totally baffled. My only guess is that I have a remote starter installed, and im thinking the clutch is being bypassed when it starts. I got this installed about 2-3 months ago, and im just noticing this now. Could this be what its from? I am so happy I discovered this

Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your remote start is bypassing your clutch. It is needed to remotely start your car without it be engaged. One warning though, do NOT remote start your car with it in gear. Your car will roll away or hit whatever is in front of it.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
With the remote start you don't need to push in the clutch, so never leave it in gear! Since you're new to this car, it may be a good idea not using the remote until you're totally familiar with it.
Gary

Old 05-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
I thought the newer remote starters are setup so they won't start if the car is in gear?

Old 05-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Received 272 Likes on 222 Posts
If your remote start was installed correctly it will not start while in gear, and even sometimes it will not remote start when the hood is open, it all depends on who installed your alarm and if they installed it correctly.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah i cant set my remote start unless I brake in, e-brake up, brake out, press remote start button, get out of car, shut door, press lock button. only thing that sucks is when i have my AC or Heat on, after i remote start it my doors dont unlock via keyfob and i gutta use my key..

Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starter just bypasses the clutch safety switch.

Careful though, with my Civic I was able to do the same thing, in gear or not. Parked behind some guy once, and took about 5 steps from my car and accidentally hit the starter. I left it in 1st. The car lurched forward, stalled, tried to start again, lurched forward, stalled... did it 3 times before it smacked the car I parked behind and finally stopped. Luckly it just barely tapped it, and there was no damage to either car.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by XpL0d3r

Careful though, with my Civic I was able to do the same thing, in gear or not. Parked behind some guy once, and took about 5 steps from my car and accidentally hit the starter. I left it in 1st. The car lurched forward, stalled, tried to start again, lurched forward, stalled... did it 3 times before it smacked the car I parked behind and finally stopped. Luckly it just barely tapped it, and there was no damage to either car.
Your alarm was not properly installed.

When car is in gear, when you press the remote start button the car should atomatically fail the start process, not lurch forward. This is a safety set up within the alarm itself. I dont know how many times I forgot my car was in gear and remote started it, while my remote just beeped at me. If your car lurches forward there was corners cut during the install.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Golden_Shower
Your alarm was not properly installed.

When car is in gear, when you press the remote start button the car should atomatically fail the start process, not lurch forward. This is a safety set up within the alarm itself. I dont know how many times I forgot my car was in gear and remote started it, while my remote just beeped at me. If your car lurches forward there was corners cut during the install.
It wasn't an alarm; just a remote started. In addition, I did an automatic to manual conversion on the Civic, so there is no clutch safety switch present. The starter was installed before I converted the car to standard.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Xet
I thought the newer remote starters are setup so they won't start if the car is in gear?
If your remote start was installed correctly it will not start while in gear, and even sometimes it will not remote start when the hood is open, it all depends on who installed your alarm and if they installed it correctly.
Unless the new systems are different, remote start systems were never meant for manuals. In fact the install manual should have a disclaimer about this, so there is no such thing as a correct way to install them with manual transmissions. There is nothing in the kit to keep the car from starting if the car is in gear, but there is a mod that allows you to hook it up so it won't start the motor if the car is in gear.

And the clutch over-ride should only be working when you use the remote start to start your car. I was never able to manually start my car without the clutch even though I had remote start installed on mine.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
Unless the new systems are different, remote start systems were never meant for manuals. In fact the install manual should have a disclaimer about this, so there is no such thing as a correct way to install them with manual transmissions. There is nothing in the kit to keep the car from starting if the car is in gear, but there is a mod that allows you to hook it up so it won't start the motor if the car is in gear.

And the clutch over-ride should only be working when you use the remote start to start your car. I was never able to manually start my car without the clutch even though I had remote start installed on mine.
My Viper 5901 has a huge disclaimer in the manual about remote starting a manual transmission, then right under it, it tells you how to operate the manual transmission remote start system. This is not a new alarm system by anymeans and it has a fail safe built into it which will not allow the car to start with one touch remote start button if the car is in gear or if the hood is open. This set up does not work on all cars but I know for a fact that if wired correctly a g35 will not start if it is in gear.

The clutch overide was always active on my car once the alarm was installed, which means as long as the alarm box had power running through it, armed or unarmed I could start the car in nutral without the clutch.

FYI

Nissans/Infinitis have a Neutral Safety Switch that your installer can tap into for 6MT remote start.

Last edited by Golden_Shower; 05-29-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Kyle Barbaro
yeah i cant set my remote start unless I brake in, e-brake up, brake out, press remote start button, get out of car, shut door, press lock button. only thing that sucks is when i have my AC or Heat on, after i remote start it my doors dont unlock via keyfob and i gutta use my key..
That's how remote starts specifically designed for manual transmissions work. The series of steps required to activate the system and ensure the e-brake is set and trans is in nuetral make it almost comical at times. Most setups I know require you to park the car, leave engine running, set the parking brake, then activate the system with the engine running, remove the key (with engine running to ensure it isn't put into gear) and then exit the vehicle and lock the doors (which the engine will then shut). At that point, if the door opens, the system disarms.

Sounds like the OP has a remote start system designed for an automatic transmission..as most of them are. Whoever installed it bypassed the clutch safety switch so that the car can be started remotely without the need to press the clutch in. This is not safe for obvious reasons.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Please read my post again

Nissans/Infinitis have a Neutral Safety Switch that your installer can tap into for 6MT remote start.

If the alarm system sees that the car is in neutral, there is no need for "Most setups I know require you to park the car, leave engine running, set the parking brake, then activate the system with the engine running, remove the key", you just push one button like you would with an automatic. The clutch bypass is needed and safe.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Please read my post again

That's good to know. Not every car with a manual transmission does.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XpL0d3r

Lol sucks dude. This happened to me except no one was around so i didnt hit anything lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Starting My 6MT