The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution

Old 07-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up G37 water leak resolution

Thanks so much for your post, Bill. It was very helpful. I used it to fix my problem, which was not as severe. I want to share how it worked for me. The issue was indeed the blocked drain, but we didn't have to take off the headliner to clear it. My leak was on the driver side during heavy rains--water coming down the support column by the door, through the dash and down the frame by the door, pouring out on my foot.

To test the problem, we poured water into the sunroof trough as directed, and saw that it didn't drain. We then poked a six-inch flexible zip-tie into the drain hole, which caused some air bubbles to rise--some forward progress but not enough draining. We then used the flexible thick nylon filament that goes on weed whackers, and fed that down through the tube about four feet. More clearing, so we surmised that the hose had not popped off the nipple at the top so we didn't have to try to drop the liner yet. But it still wasn't flowing freely. I then popped off the inside liner on the frame upright, and we could see the drain hose was full of water but not leaking. So, we used compressed air--a small nozzle directed tightly into the drain hole via a stiff straw--and blasted the last of the blockage free. Water down the drain freely!

We think that in my car's case, the water would fill that sun roof trough and then come over the top of the channel but beneath the roof exterior, finding its way down the support column in some fashion that was external to the hose. It presented exactly the way Bill's did, though. So if you have this leaking problem, try these less difficult steps to ascertain whether the hose is indeed disconnected from the nipple, as Bill's was.

One more observation: I do think that we moved the blockage lower by threading filament through the tube. I think that if we had tried the compressed air before clearing the block a bit, we might have caused too much pressure for the weak coupling of hose to nipple, which Bill talks about. We might have blown the two apart, which he cautions against. So I think that we lucked out in doing this in the correct and safest order for least disruption.

Oh, and Bill is right that you have to look UNDER the carpet. I didn't have a lot of water down there but I had some. So after drying I sprayed some Tilex in there, hoping to deter mildew. Today, I will attempt to eradicate the wet carpet odor. But I think my wet carpet days are over!

Gena

Old 11-09-2015, 06:29 PM
Very good info here. My 2011 G37 had water in the floor board last night. After pulling the trim and glove box, I could see water coming from higher up in the dash. I poured water into the sunroof vent and watched the water. It flows out and onto the grommet that holds the electrical cable. I could not see any water flow under it, but that has to be where it is coming from.

I pulled the carpet and dried it with a fan for 24 hours. What a pain in the neck. Any opinions?

Old 11-11-2015, 05:15 AM
Hey guys hopefully someone can help. 2008 g35x water leak. Water is wetting and dripping from the carpet of the upper part of the emergency break bracket. I can't tell if it's coming from far above or where. I've had the windshield pulled and put back to make sure. I've checked the moonroof drains and are fine. I've read all the posts on here and checked everything. Brought to a mechanic he couldn't duplicate a leak. It's pouring tonight here in NY and I'm again watching it happen but can't see above or being the carpet there because there's just too much stuff in the way. I pulled the vent and put a flashlight on the firewall grommet and I can't see water coming through although it is closely surrounded by carpet. My last step is to bring the car to infiniti this week but I'm off warranty and they say 130/hour and I know just removing the dash is 3 in there book. I was about to sell my car but wouldn't do that to someone so it needs to be fixed. Any ideas?

Old 01-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
I would assume the first and third pics in OP's first post will be what you need to go by to reattach. You'll need to lower the headliner as he instructs to see the area. I'd put the hose clamp on too while you are in there.

Oops was replying to Heytheremr2's post and failed to notice it was not the newest post that resurrected the thread. My bad. Wonder if he got it figured out....

Last edited by G2B35AGN; 01-21-2016 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Situational awareness fail
Old 01-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
I would assume the first and third pics in OP's first post will be what you need to go by to reattach. You'll need to lower the headliner as he instructs to see the area. I'd put the hose clamp on too while you are in there.

Oops was replying to Heytheremr2's post and failed to notice it was not the newest post that resurrected the thread. My bad. Wonder if he got it figured out....
That would have worked in my case. I chose to take it to Infiniti. They charged me over $800.00

Old 01-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Well, I dropped the headliner in my G35 sedan and the sunroof drain hoses are intact and working properly. I confirmed by free pouring water in the channels and all of the hoses flow the same - no obstructions, no leaks. No evidence of water in the area of the sunroof at all.

So that's not the cause of the water accumulating in my rear passenger foot well. Anyone else know of any likely causes?

Old 04-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Leaking inner sunroof drain plugs in the firewall area

I have been having water after heavy rain in the driver and passenger area. Dealer quote was $1200, b/c it required opening the whole dashboard. Sadly, they turned out to be right. It looks like it is 99% labor because that part in question is probably worth a dollar or two.

I pretty much tried all advice listed under water leaks in various G35 forums:

--water bottle test at each sunroof corner ==> IMHO the most misleading b/c the the amount of water being poured is too small to replicate the issue. It will identify only the most horribly plugged drain hoses. Even testing sunroof drains directly required a good amount of water volume, at least a liter or two poured thru a funnel.

--cleaning front drains from debris in the battery and brake MS compartment and cleaning dashboard cowl screens from leaves. It certainly helped but I ended up sealing rubber power grommets in each compartment with RTV sealant. Pouring water directly over grommets didn't result in any water coming in. So if the front drain were backed up the water could leak thru rubber grommets and Handbrake cylinder. For me it didn't fix anything.

--sealing 2 rubber power grommets and top of Handbrake cylinder (with LHD lettering) ? with RTV sealant. Pouring lots of water over them didn't result in any water coming inside.

--dropping front headliner and blowing compressed air from a can and snaking edge trimmer wire into each drain hose. In my experience, the edge trimmer wire hardly pulled any debris.

--In the nutshell , pouring any amount of water near front body drain holes in the battery and brakes compartments didn't replicate the issue.

Well here comes the ultimate sunroof drain test, after all blood, sweat and gnashing of teeth. Perhaps, you can try it after none of previous advice didn't work. If I knew this, I would wait on using RTV sealant on rubber grommets by pouring good amount of water over each rubber grommet first (see pic) and seeing if any water leaked on the inside.

1) Disconnect the battery, drop front headliner and LH/RH A-pillar garnishes to access front sunroof drains.
2) Remove 2 side dashboard panels with trim tool. I bought a 8 piece set for $16.95.
3) Remove 2 screws holding each side air vent assembly and remove side AC vents.
4) Now you can see each sunroof drain connection in the back if you shine light thru the hole. (see pic).
5) Have assistant pour a liter or 2 liters of water using a funnel into each drain hose, while observing the area around the drain hose connection thru a hole in each AC vent.
6) If you see water soaking a gray felt liner around the drain hose connection, its the drain plug. In my case, the drain hose wasn't leaking or dripping on the inside, but the exterior area around a plastic white plug was leaking. So the drain hose was seated pretty firmly and wasn't loose where it connected to the firewall.

I plan on removing a dashboard and sealing or replacing those drain plugs next.

Attached Thumbnails G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution-img_1370.jpg   G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution-img_1373.jpg   G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution-img_1375.jpg   G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution-img_1378.jpg  
Old 01-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Posting this link for those (like me!) who have tried everything else and are all out of ideas.

https://g35driver.com/forums/general...ml#post7040588

Old 01-19-2017, 03:23 AM
Originally Posted by knightmare
Of course I spoke too soon.

A few days later I went to install a new cabin air filter (the other got wet from their testing) and as it turns out, there was water on the floor again.

Strange thing is, the carpet was only wet around the AC line, about the size of my hand, everything above, to the left, and right, were DRY.

I brought it back and it's been there for many days (once again) with no calls or information from the deal (once again).

Color me disappointed in Infiniti...I love the car otherwise, but this issue, and the dealer experience...ridiculous. (but pretty much every dealer is that way, the local BMW dealer is even worse)

And the government is backing these *******s against Telsa selling direct!?!?!?! God damn I hate planet Earth sometimes.
Did you ever get a resolution on this?

Old 03-03-2017, 12:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 2007 Water Leak Near Gas Pedal Only

I have vinyl clear plastic cover on the driver's side carpet.
Otherwise, I would not have noticed condensation underneath it.
When I touched the carpet it was "wet".
Water runs from the gas pedal, along the floor, towards the seat in a perfect line almost.
I put 15ML of water into the sunroof drain tube above the driver's side.
No water came out! Where did it go? Who knows!
I decided not to put anymore water in the drain whole until I can figure out what is happening.
I ordered a 5.5mm diameter endoscope camera from www.gearbest.com for only $8.61!
But, it comes directly from China, and it will be tied up in customs for weeks everyone tells me.
But, I plan to pipe the endoscope camera down the sunroof drain for discovery purposes.
I don't think I will really find anything.
I am hoping I just need a little flexseal on the underbody area on the other side of the gas pedal.
For now, I don't drive it in the rain and put a cover on it when it does rain.
I drive my Honda Civic 89 and that car doesn't leak even if you dump it in the lake, lol!

Old 04-06-2017, 05:34 PM
I have the same thing. I didn't see water dripping after running ac. Where is the drain hose accessible?

Old 04-06-2017, 07:24 PM
"Accessible"?...sorry to laugh..I have not found anything EASILY accessible on my G35 2007 Coupe...there is a you tube of some guy taking the headliner apart at bottom of my response, the side panels apart, and some of the dash board..no thanks...I will just wear a swim suit...hahahaha..I don't think it is worth is taking the car apart...but, at the end of the drain hose which runs form the moon roof where you see the drain holes..is attached a hose..but of course you can't see it..and it run along the panel on your left side of the frame from where you sit on the drivers side..and runs down along to the dashboard...to lower firewall...it is like this LITTLE CUP...that is attached to the drain hose...it is defective design...and it makes the water go all over the place and not drain out properly....but, like I said I won't take my car apart..I will just live with it...

The following users liked this post:
LCC0256 (03-19-2021)
Old 04-06-2017, 07:25 PM
The endoscope camera I bought was of no value...don't waste your time or money....fyi...

Old 04-06-2017, 07:27 PM
This guy took the entire FRONT Windshield to get to that Drain Hose Plug or whatever it is..not worth it...

Old 04-06-2017, 07:29 PM
not a G35 You Tube, but easy video to understand what is happening...

The following users liked this post:
LCC0256 (03-19-2021)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution