Go Back  G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion > General Discussion > The G-Spot
Reload this Page >

G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution

The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution

Old 04-06-2017, 07:33 PM
I bought a car cover and just cover it when it rains...I don't drive it in the rain..sounds silly, I know..I drive my Honda Civic 89 when it rains...no leaks whatsoever there...INFINITI, not sure why their engineers did not take care of this...it almost make my car a LEMON..I mean, I can't drive it in the RAIN...or let it sit in the RAIN...what kind of car is this?

Old 04-06-2017, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Bill Campos View Post
....it almost make my car a LEMON..I mean, I can't drive it in the RAIN...or let it sit in the RAIN...what kind of car is this?
Bill, I get your frustration, but just take a step back and breathe deeply.

Water leaks are the most time-consuming and troublesome issues to diagnose and repair. I have two friends who own shops and they *will not* do water leak fixes because of all the variables.

Yes, dropping the headliner is a PITA.

One thing you can consider doing is getting a compressed air source and forcing air through the sunroof drain tubes. They are easy to access when the sunroof is open - you just force a bit of surgical tubing down into each one. 9 times out of 10 there's just some kind of organic blockage in one of the tubes, but because it's slowly decomposing a blast of air should break it up and let it flow out.

Not sure where the drains come out in your G, but in my first-gen sedan there is one drain behind each wheel.

First step is to get a measuring cup full of water and pour a couple of ounces in each corner of the (open) sunroof. You should see the same amount of water come out behind each wheel as your pour. If you have a buddy to watch for drainage that's good.

If one corner doesn't drain, that's your problem. Blast some compressed air down there and that might be all it takes.

*IF* all the drain lines are open and you're still having problems then the leak is somewhere else and you can then decide if it's worth your trouble to fix it.

Your car isn't a lemon. Your car is ten years old. A water leak is par for the course on a car of that age. If it was a lemon you'd be on your second motor and third transmission, like my 4 year old BMW was.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronYuppy For This Useful Post:
Bill Campos (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 01:07 PM
Maybe i will just tape a trash bag over the sunroof when it rains....lol

The Following User Says Thank You to wildpig1234 For This Useful Post:
Bill Campos (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 02:03 PM
G35 2007 Water Leak Near Gas Pedal Only SOLVED!

I used my bike pump to blow some air into the nozzle opening of the front tubes going from the sun roof...then I tested it..I put just a little bit of water....down it each tube opening..and ALL the water came out! The water no longer gets clogged and no longer goes inside my car near the gas pedal. Whatever was stuck there at the end of the hose is gone with the burst of air I put in. Simple fix for now. Before I did this, if I put water down those nozzles in the sun roof, the water would just get stuck and nothing would come out, and I would see it near the gas pedal. Crossing my fingers this hold out!

Old 09-08-2018, 08:12 PM
Hello sorry for revinving an old post but today after heavy rain I started having the same problem only worse. I got in my car and the passenger footwell is flooded, I try starting my car but it wonít start so I put the key fob in the port and it starts. After driving for a few minutes my dash and nav screen turn off so now Iím having electrical issues, has anyone else experienced this before, if so how was it fixed. Right now I just have the car drying out in the garage

Old 09-09-2018, 05:38 AM
Originally Posted by Rafael123 View Post
Hello sorry for revinving an old post but today after heavy rain I started having the same problem only worse. I got in my car and the passenger footwell is flooded, I try starting my car but it wonít start so I put the key fob in the port and it starts. After driving for a few minutes my dash and nav screen turn off so now Iím having electrical issues, has anyone else experienced this before, if so how was it fixed. Right now I just have the car drying out in the garage
Old vehicles begin to leak when rubber seals dry out. I had a similar problem after owning my 74 Mazda RX4 for seventeen years.
I no longer keep vehicles that long anymore.

Telcoman

Old 09-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Basically, find where it's leaking and replace the seal, and hope your electrical problems go away when it dries out.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
Old vehicles begin to leak when rubber seals dry out. I had a similar problem after owning my 74 Mazda RX4 for seventeen years.
I no longer keep vehicles that long anymore.

Telcoman
I swear you say the most useless **** sometimes. Most times actually

Old 09-09-2018, 03:25 PM
He seems to be in the camp of "Old cars aren't worth the work" and "absolutely everything should be left to the professionals" and likes to point out cases which prove his points. But he's been around forever and has clearly owned a lot of cool cars so....

Old 09-09-2018, 04:01 PM
I'm just saying the guy is asking for help with a leak somewhere and he basically suggested he buys a new car. Not the answer he was looking for I'm sure

Old 10-10-2018, 06:20 PM
The thread that wouldn't die. Lol I have been having this problem for a while. I know where it is coming from. In a really hard rain the water builds up in a well under the windshield then pours in around the grommets. I have cleaned leaves out of it numerous times and it stops for a while. To get to this area you have to remove the wiper blades and pull the trim underneath. I am thinking maybe I could modify this area somehow. Cut bigger holes to allow the water to drain? I bet someone has a solution.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:11 PM
Not sure if I can post pictures I dont have much of a post count. But what I have found is the master cylinder sits in a enclosure that is like like a fish bowl. There are 2 small drain holes under the master cylinder. If you get a big rain it is easy for these to be overwhelmed. I am fortunate to have a lift so I am going to take the inner fender off and see if there is a easy way to open up the drain holes so they dont get clogged so easy and can handle a monsoon.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:28 AM
Here is the area I am talking about. Under the master cylinder.
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

Old 10-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Strange not sure why it posted the picture twice.
There is a small opening at the bottom about the size of your finger.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:32 AM
This is the only other opening. It is very easy for these to get clogged with leaves causing the water to overflow past the grommets.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: