G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
If you can get to the holes I don't see any harm in enlarging them slightly. Another solution is to buy a left hand battery cover and you'll never have leaves in the compartment ever again. It was standard on the Japanese Skylines so availability is pretty good.

Looks like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Infini...qc8:rk:22:pf:0

The following users liked this post:
cswlightning (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Blue, It does have the cover but the leaves still slip under it somehow. I was able to drill a 1 1/4 hole on both drivers and passengers side. I hope the cures the problem.

Blue Dream (10-16-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 12:56 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Just be sure to protect that exposed metal or it will rust itself to a MUCH larger hole lol.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:59 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Blue, thanks for that. I had always wondered why the cover on the driver side had a battery icon on it. Now I know! Looks like the POs of my car DID do something useful besides changing the oil on time and the clutch!

Blue Dream (10-16-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question. What kind of rate of water can the sunroof drain tubes handle? Reason why I ask is that I am getting water on the passenger side front floor area. Took the car to a dealer, and he said it was the drain tubes. Paid him to fix the tubes, and then went on a trip down south. Then I discovered water again on the rug. Took the car to another dealer, and he said the problem is a leaking gasket on the sunroof. The car is 11 years old. He says you can't buy the gasket separately, that you have to buy a whole new glass roof, to the tune of $1800! Is this BS?

The whole idea is that the drainage tubes are designed to carry away water that's managed to get past the sunroof gaskets. That's why I'm wondering how much water can the tubes handle. When you folks say you test the tubes by pouring water into the open roof, how much water are we talking about, and how quickly?

Thanks!

LCC0256 (03-19-2021)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After I did my mods the flood of water stopped. However I still had a little water leaking from the sun roof drains. I ended up removing the plastic drain that goes through the firewall and putting in a piece of copper tubing sticking out a inch or so and then sealing the opening with silicone. Works great and will not stop up again.

LCC0256 (03-19-2021)
Old 12-21-2018, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35
Hello. Got a 2007 G35 from the MIL and she warned me about a leak on the front passenger side. Since it was usually parked under a cover, she rarely saw the all-weather mat hold water, and it was easy for her to just dry off with a towel.

Car is not so lucky with me since there is no covered parking where I work. Last week when it rained hard, I noticed the mat was full of water. Dumped it out and as I was driving home, I could see water drip from under the glove box and hear water sloshing back and forth. When I got home, the whole front and rear passenger floor were soaked. Took the carpet up to dry out and found this very helpful forum, starting with Bill Henderson's post from five years ago.

I partially took down the headliner and had my lovely assistant pour a pitcher of water in each of the four drain holes. The two front ones drained just fine. When I got to the two back ones, I noticed that they drain fine when water was poured at an average rate. When it was poured quickly, I noticed that both sides would leak - not where the hose and nipple connect but out of the white plastic case next to it (see photo).

QDPX (post #50) asked a great question. When we pour water down the drains, how accurate is it to a real-life scenario when the roof is closed? Even if the sunroof seal isn't water tight, shouldn't the flow rate be much less than pouring water at a moderate amount directly into the the drain holes?

My next task is to pull the end of the tube attached to a yellow cup out from the fire wall. Saw a few videos on how to modify it with either a straw or pen. Hoping that will fix my problem.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:04 PM
G35 S
Sunroof Drain Leak that caused my carpet to be wet

The solution to my problem was a drain tube that ends on the passenger floor. I pulled it out, reinserted it and added silicone.

Attached Thumbnails G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution-d7543e34-3db5-49b6-b359-3a098783db82.jpeg   G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution-2ed68b41-720b-44c0-bfeb-11d3a661d29e.jpeg   G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution-e998cf6b-f6f6-4dcc-b0b8-21b3b4282302.jpeg   G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution-a8b51625-368a-4730-8916-67afe0c124e6.jpeg   G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution-6076242f-ac44-4036-8694-4eb0b0519212.jpeg  

G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution-fe45a708-9797-4791-89c9-6b59af118668.jpeg  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:15 PM
Q60/G37 IPL
Water leak passenger side

Originally Posted by knightmare
Reading all of your replies gave me hope, but alas it was for naught. Zero water leaking up there, the tubes allow water to run freely no problem and are fully attached. Also the headliner is not plastic-backed, so if there was a leak from the sunroof, I would know it, it would soak the headliner and be clearly visible.

So I am back to where I started...no clue where the water is coming from. Going to leave the car torn apart for a few weeks to try to narrow it down again, but I have done this before with no luck. The issue is so random, it could be months before the water returns, and it's not fun making my GF sit in the back because the passenger seat is removed, so I might just take it to the shop.

I will post back with whatever is found as this is a true mystery that others should know about when searching the issue.

Funny the dealer said when I called previously "our cars don't leak"....I beg to differ.
I have the same problem.. However my sunroof IS NOT the culprit. It is a leak around the COWEL PANEL.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:28 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Remove the cowl and check the drains, they can accumulate debris inside that plugs the cowel drain.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:19 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Also when re-installing the cowl, make sure the trim strips that fit against the bottom of the windshield aren't overlapping, pinched under the edge of the cowl or leaving gaps anywhere. Don't ask how I know lol.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:24 AM
G37 Journey
I really don't see any way to do the grommet straw/tube extension without removing the dash or windshield. There just isn't nearly enough room to get my hand in there. I could yank the drain tube but I'd never get it back in. Seems like my only solution besides removing the entire dash is to drill the firewall from the other side to gain access to the backside of the grommet, or pull the tube and re-route it to the floor and drain through there. The a-pillar air vent doesn't seem like it will move much and it is in the way.

https://imgur.com/a/8GdJ3mB

Old 12-18-2019, 02:34 PM
Received 78 Likes on 76 Posts
g35X 4dr sedan
Yes that is BS and it shouldn't really be the issue unless it's cut. The seal around the sunroof glass is only meant to slow the water down enough so the drains inside can handle it. Be sure the glass though is bolted high enough in the opening. You may need to loosen the four bolts that mount it in the track and ease it up a bit so water can't puddle over the seal.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:51 AM
G37
Originally Posted by Sam Hunter
I really don't see any way to do the grommet straw/tube extension without removing the dash or windshield. There just isn't nearly enough room to get my hand in there. I could yank the drain tube but I'd never get it back in. Seems like my only solution besides removing the entire dash is to drill the firewall from the other side to gain access to the backside of the grommet, or pull the tube and re-route it to the floor and drain through there. The a-pillar air vent doesn't seem like it will move much and it is in the way.

https://imgur.com/a/8GdJ3mB
Sam,

Trust me, you don't need to take out the windshield or the dash to do this fix. I just did both grommets 3 days ago in my driveway because I was FED UP with the wet carpets, the cat pee smells, the humidity in the car, etc. I'm not a mechanic.

1. Partially remove the door seal.

2. Pull down the sail panel or A pillar cover, whatever you wan to call it. (If you were sitting in the seat, it's right beside your head.) There is one clip and one green lanyard. Be careful not to trip the airbag. (Probably wise to disconnect the battery ground terminal.)

3. The green lanyard won't come out. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to twist it out of the socket.

4. Remove the side cover on the dash. (Easy, just grab it at the bottom and pull up and out.

5. Remove the vent. (1 Screw, its slides out.)

Now the fun part. You're right, the access is not easy at all.

I just pulled on the tube and the tube came away from the grommet. Next, used a VERY LONG, extra long in fact, pair of needle nose pliers I bought from Home Depot. Pull the grommet out. Easy.

Next, rip away the sound deadening insulation from around the hole in the firewall.

Next, I had bought new grommets from Infiniti. I snipped out the little plastic baffles from the orifice. I didn't see any point for them and they are just a barrier to outflow.,

Next, brought the grommet up from the bottom using the ultra long needle nose pliers. Pushed into the whole in the firewall. It doesn't require much force at all. Surprisingly little.

Next, line up the tube with the nipple and push it onto the grommet. Just manage to feel with my fingers that the tube is fully home.

Test with water poured into the drain holes in the sun roof.

No leak

Drivers side, the same, only this time, I attached the new grommet to the tube before hand and just guided it into the hole. Pushed with a very long flat screw driver. Voila.

Pulled the carpets up, paper toweled out the pockets in the floor which were full of water. Put towels under the carpet to wick away the moisture in the underpadding. Seems to work.

But discovered that I have a similar leak in the rear. Been surfing on line tonight and verified that there are 4 identical drain grommets. 2 in front, 2 in rear. Everything on line is about the front drain grommets, but there is no way a front leak would also soak my rear carpets. There is nothing on how to access the rears. I'm going to have to figure that one out myself tomorrow.

Last edited by Doug Webb; 12-26-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:24 AM
Infiniti G35 Coupe
Sunroof drain water leak

If anyone has any advice or possible solutions please god feel free to share:
We have a 2006 G35 coupe that has been sitting in the driveway for years-known it has a water leak issue unable to figure it out. Myself finally being able to drive it and call it mine (my dads car) I’m fixing it up and read multiple forums for this issue. I’m not sure if the water is coming from elsewhere in addition to the sunroof because I have had it covered and taped with plastic and trash bags and still have water leaking in. Anyways when I pour water directly in the sunroof drain I see it coming out in the location of my 4th picture (headliner slightly pulled down where the drain tube connects). This issue is on the front passenger side. Aside from blowing air through the tube, what can I do to fix this issue, any suggestions?
Before I started this project

After I had put my blood sweat and tears into cleaning the damn carpets I came back to find this lovely present

When I pour water down the sunroof drain I see it coming out from those 4 vent looking areas

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution