The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Are the G35 models reliable cars ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the G35 models reliable cars ?

Hi everyone. Im new here and am strongly considering picking one of these up. They looks nice. And seem to have some get up ! But basically was so wondering if they are reliable. And are there common problems at a certain mileage ? And what mileage are these cars getting to before either the tranny or engine fail ? I know it all depends on how it was taken care of, im just trying to figure out of I buy one with 130k miles if it's still going to have some life left in it for commuting and fun times thanks everyone.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:25 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I've had my G for 7 years and she has 137K miles on her. In that time I've spent less than $700 on anything not considered routine maintenance. And that money was spent on a pair of lower control arms, a new radiator and thermostat which could be considered routine given how many miles are on my car.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:48 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
120K is the general mark where they start burning oil due to cheap piston rings. Even sooner with HR models.
Drivers side seat bottom tends to rip on left side of frame from being rubbed when entering/exiting (tsb for certain years to fix that).
VLSD loses it's functionality at about 60K miles, so have fun with an open rear end like most of us deal with.
Other than that they can last a long time. My 04 coupe 6mt is just about to click over to 120K miles. Only gripe about drivetrain (besides stupid vlsd garbage, just put a clutch-type in stupid nissan > )
is sometimes it doesn't want to go in reverse so I have to inch it forward to align the gears properly. Maybe the syncro is going out, but it better not!
Just make sure you don't settle a model with tan interior like I did. it really sucks, and gets super dirty super quick.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by AlexKaminski
Hi everyone. Im new here and am strongly considering picking one of these up. They looks nice. And seem to have some get up ! But basically was so wondering if they are reliable. And are there common problems at a certain mileage ? And what mileage are these cars getting to before either the tranny or engine fail ? I know it all depends on how it was taken care of, im just trying to figure out of I buy one with 130k miles if it's still going to have some life left in it for commuting and fun times thanks everyone.
I traded in my 06 G35 6 speed manual at 171796 miles as it was going to need brakes, a headlight ballast and had a leaking differential seal. I decided that a new vehicle comes with all new parts and a warranty.
At 73k on my current 2012 G37S I have not had one problem with it

With any used vehicle purchase be prepared for any unforeseen repairs

Telcoman

Old 07-23-2016, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frostbite91
120K is the general mark where they start burning oil due to cheap piston rings. Even sooner with HR models.
Drivers side seat bottom tends to rip on left side of frame from being rubbed when entering/exiting (tsb for certain years to fix that).
VLSD loses it's functionality at about 60K miles, so have fun with an open rear end like most of us deal with.
Other than that they can last a long time. My 04 coupe 6mt is just about to click over to 120K miles. Only gripe about drivetrain (besides stupid vlsd garbage, just put a clutch-type in stupid nissan > )
is sometimes it doesn't want to go in reverse so I have to inch it forward to align the gears properly. Maybe the syncro is going out, but it better not!
Just make sure you don't settle a model with tan interior like I did. it really sucks, and gets super dirty super quick.
I see, now is the VLSD expensive to fix ? I can imagine it is since as you said. A lot of people have an open rear end now.
Also, have people taken these up to around 200k without any major repairs engine,tranny, etc. ?
Thanks a lot for all the info

Last edited by AlexKaminski; 07-23-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:13 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods