G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Extended Warranty on used car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Extended Warranty on used car?

So I bought my 07 G with 40k on it.

Its out of all warranty but I was wondering if there were any programs of companies anyone has went through to get a warranty on a car that is out of the factory warranty.

Obviously I don't want to be paying 100 a month but I might consider a warranty that covers some main powertrain stuff at a reasonable price.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Most 3rd party warranties are rip offs

When you purchase a 10 year old vehicle you should be prepared to spend a few thousand dollars in repairs. Perhaps you'll get lucky but keep the repair fund in the bank

Telcoman

Old 07-13-2017, 06:02 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I've never been a big fan of extended warranties that you have to pay for but over the years I've been very lucky with my used car purchases. Bought the G in March of 09 and have spent less than $1000 on her in 8 years. Radiator, 2 lower control arms, front knucke ball joints and a PCV valve are what I've replaced besides the normal wear and tear items in 137K miles. It could be argued that all of these are "normal" wear and tear on a high mileage G I suppose.

However, there are some reputable warranties out there offered by Infiniti dealerships. Courtney Mauresmo (sp?) with Infiniti of Tuscon has long been a forum favorite as someone to go through to purchase one of these. And no, you don't have to live in Arizona to get one. Here's another fairly recent thread with other options available. https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-warranty.html

Old 07-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Oh no, in the dictionary under scam should be listed "After Market Warranty Company's! They'll gladly take your $$, if you have a mechanical issue they'll do everything you can think of not to pay your claim! Only safe warranty is thru manufactures like Nissan! Like previously mentioned, with an older car be prepared to spend several thousand. If you're lucky you won't have to if you maintain your maintenance service!
Gary

The following 2 users liked this post by gary c:
telcoman (07-13-2017), tiguy99 (05-25-2020)
Old 07-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I bought AAA a few years ago and didn't have a real problem with them. The only problem is they are about two years 36K miles. They also cost a good amount of money, so you might not recoup the cost in savings vs. what you pay for the warranty. For example my cost was slightly around 1500-2K I think. I only used it to have an alternator and tie rod end replaced, which was nowhere the that amount if I paid for them out of pocket.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:11 PM
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
^^^thanks for the replies and good info. So I was reading a thread in a BMW forum where a guys lack of extended warranty cost him big bucks on an engine replacement so I got to thinking.

I called around and actually read a few warranties front to back and WOW. They literally cover like ten things ha ha and the damages MUST be from XYZ or it's not covered......

I guess I'll pass, I just worry about the worst happening. So far so good though it's been a very reliable car thus far. Fingers crossed!

Old 07-16-2017, 01:56 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Yeah, I'm going with no too. Those usually only cover engine and transmission. Those are the least likely to break, that's why they offer em. They never cover alternators, radiators or anything that actually leaves you on the side of the road.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've worked with 3rd party warranty companies when I tried service advisor as a job. There's a lot of really bad ones who try to bail on paying anything.

For what it's worth though, my friend bought one at the used car lot he got his 05 coupe from, and he has gotten every damn dime out of that thing. $200 deductible, covers powertrain and some other stuff. Got a used transmission, 2 door lock actuators, and suspension worked covered and all of it done through his local Infiniti dealer. He negotiated the dealer paid half of it because it was an expensive plan around 2k CAD

The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (05-25-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.